Author Topic: new guy  (Read 942 times)

Offline gmurphy

• Trade Count: (0)
new guy
« on: October 27, 2007, 04:54:55 PM »
Ok i ordered a gold ball mortar from loose cannon gun works. who can tell me how to properly load it.

Offline lance

Re: new guy
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 06:03:21 PM »
 I'll tell ya how i load mine. I use a copper pipe, some use pvc, anyway I stick the pipe into the powder chamber. I use powder flasks and have lots of different spouts for different charges. pour the powder in the pipe, remove the pipe slowly, now you have powder in the chamber. insert golf ball, i never use wads. just powder and a golf ball..... insert fuse, now you are ready to fire. a good STARTING load is 50 grains of ffg black powder, I like Goex. do you have a powder measure? got any Goex? does your mortar have a powder chamber? anyway, ya now know how I load mine,welcome to the forum.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 11:48:12 PM »
Welcome GMurphy, glad to have you.  Is his your first cannon? We'll do everything in our power to  help and make sure itisisn't you last.

Lance is starting you off right.  He goods that way.  A lot of other folks that way here on the board.

Offline gmurphy

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 01:34:05 AM »
yes it does have a powder chamber and i dont have any powder measurers. where can i get some at? maybe pro bass? and what type of powder and fuse?

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 02:43:16 AM »
To start  get yourself one of these measures;

You can add this later. 

This is all you need for the small guns.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 05:36:22 AM »
With some black powder groups it is considered a good idea when using a powder flask to dump the charge into a separate container and then pour the powder from that container into the gun.  The thought is that if for some reason the powder charge was to go off that you would eliminate the possibility of setting off the powder in the flask.  I know that when properly used the flasks pictured should not pose this problem, but...    This idea may be a hold over from using a powder horn.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 07:08:13 AM »
...when using a powder flask to dump the charge into a separate container...when properly used the flasks pictured should not pose this problem, but...

if there should be an accidental ignition of the flask, remember your hand is wrapped around it.  An intermediate container is a very good idea.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 07:58:02 AM »
Powder is dumped from the flask into the measure.  Then the powder is dumped from teh measure into the cannon.

The Flask never goes near the cannon.

Offline lance

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 09:42:35 AM »
 gmurphy, I use Goex Black Powder-real black powder, been using it 32 years. kinda hard to find in stores, so I order it by the case from POWDERINC.COM............ now for fuse I like the 100ft rolls of 2mm viscoe,cost 7.50 from PYROCREATIONS.COM, that 2mm fuse burns all the way up.....no glowing embers left like some of the heavy fuses...........Like I say, this is what I use for powder and fuse. I forgot to mention that my copper pipe for golf ball mortars is 1/2" by 12" long.......You'll find out, that the powder measure is a great tool for getting your mortar to hit targets. Hey, that's what mortars were made to do!!!

Offline gmurphy

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 02:38:13 PM »
Lance,

Can i get the plans for you base?

Offline lance

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 04:49:36 PM »
Lance,

Can i get the plans for you base?
gmurphy, do me a big favor, log in so you can see all the pics, and look on page 4 or 5 of this forum. Read: Confederate Mortar Base,Please Help With Info........... then we'll see about getting some plans to ya.

Offline gmurphy

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 05:06:43 PM »
lance,

thanks, I read the thread and have a couple of questions since there are no plans. Where did you get the handles and long bolts? Did you screw it together or glue it and let the long bolts hold it together? how long and tall is it?

Thanks for the help

Offline lance

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 05:44:06 PM »
lance,

thanks, I read the thread and have a couple of questions since there are no plans. Where did you get the handles and long bolts? Did you screw it together or glue it and let the long bolts hold it together? how long and tall is it?

Thanks for the help
gmurphy, glad you found the thread, it makes me feel bad when folks ask for plans,and i have to tell them i don't have any and didn't use any. it's the truth ya know now........let's see to your questions: you'll love this........ i made the handles out of gutter spikes, those very long nails, not the galvinized ones! anyway they were soft and easy to bend and make into handles. the long bolts were 3 foot sections of all thread rod, from the hardware store. i had to find something to cut to the right lenghts. there are no screws! or glue! The DADO cuts in the side rails and the 5 main side bolts hold the whole thing together, works great too! might have to take it apart one day for re-painting........frame rails for the golf ball mortar are 15" long x 4 1/2" tall x 1 1/2" thick. you'll have the figure out what looks best for your mortar tube- on the spacing for the 3 cross runners. also you'll have to figure the trunnion hole, you want to drill it so that your tube ends up at a 45 deg angle resting on the front cross runner. hope this helps, good luck with my somewhat kinda plans ;D......... post a pic if you build it, like to see how it turns out.