Author Topic: “Things are looking good for this year’s rabbit hunting”  (Read 336 times)

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
“Things are looking good for this year’s rabbit hunting”
« on: October 29, 2007, 09:56:30 AM »
Rabbit season started in my neck of the woods the 1st of October. I have been running the beagles about three times a week to get them exercised and ready for the up coming rabbit season. We had our first frost on the 27th of October and started to harvest the rabbits. I harvested three on Saturday afternoon with my walnut stocked (Adult stock) youth models “Shorty”, this shotgun is based off the screw-in choke Pardner Youth Model. It is fixed with swivels and a sling. It’s light and fast to get into action, which is good when you have to manage the dogs on leads. The wife had no luck on Saturday, but harvested one on Sunday morning with her 20 ga. TDC with youth walnut rear stock. Clipped him right down the noggin. We use cylinder chokes because of the close range we shoot them at. The loads we use are a light reload of 11/16 oz. of magnum 7 1/2s. Very effective loads on rabbits and cheap on the wallet too. I harvested two more rabbits on Sunday. All are cleaned and in the freezer. I’m hoping to be able to hunt with d_hiker and Markus this season. Good luck to all, this hunting season and May the hunting goddess or gods bless you with many good hunts this year.

PS: I will start taking the camera to take them photos.
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: “Things are looking good for this year’s rabbit hunting”
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:51:17 AM »
I can't wait to hunt over those beagles. I haven't done it since I was a teen. I just love to hear that song that only a beagle on a bunny can sing. I only wish I still had the fields we had when I was a kid. They are now fields of sweet gum and red maple that need to be cleared again. Froghunter just let me know a day or 2 in advance and I'll be there with my old 20ga topper in hand.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: “Things are looking good for this year’s rabbit hunting”
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 06:09:32 PM »
I have had a reinfection of the beagle hound bug and am looking for a beagle   going to try one tomorrow  my customized 28 ga youth gun ought to be just the thing for bunnies except the shells ain't easy on the wallet
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier