Author Topic: Daughter took the curse off her Handi  (Read 1274 times)

Offline MTGlass

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Daughter took the curse off her Handi
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:05:01 PM »
Saturday I busted my butt getting the roof on the kids' tree house.  Sunday I had a hard time moving, not rolling out of bed 'till about 8:00.  My daughter wanted to go hunting & her little brother was at a sleep over.  I figured our best chance for success with such a late start was to go after antelope.  I fixed up a breakfast & gathered up gear.  We rolled out just after 10:00 & arrived at the block management ranch we were going to hunt after a little after 11:00.

A funny thing happened on the way to the antelope fields.  We spotted an orphan elk calf running around out there.  Nine cows had been shot under the pivots earlier in the week.  We pulled a little sneak up a shallow gulley to where I thought we'd be close.  I knelt down to strip off some excess gear while my daughter stood guard.  She saw him coming & ducked.  I whispered to her to get ready.  She set up her bipod and went prone.  I was about 20 feet away, but when she pulled back the hammer without my coaching I knew we were in for some action.

When the critter came into view I gave a bleat on the cow call that froze him broadside.

"Bang Flop" were the first words out of my mouth!

I had ranged him at 156 yards before blowing the cow call & knew it should be a chip shot for her.  It was an uphill shot and the 140gr Partition entered a little high, taking out both lungs and nicking the under side of the spine.  I think nerves played a big part in where the shot went.

Missing the heart wasn’t all bad.  At the beginning of the school year her science teacher asked the hunters in the class to save their hearts for dissection later in the year so I packed that out too.

Fortunately for me it was a small elk and I only had to drag it half a mile before the rancher drove out and hauled us the rest of the way back.  We both had $h!# eatin’ grins on our faces all the way home.  No way were we supposed to get an elk that day.

While we were skinning it out, a family friend came over and presented her with a new Ka-Bar skinner which was put right to work.

This was her first harvest and needless to say, I’m pleased and proud.
Cordially,

MTGlass

Card Carrying Armed American Citizen

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Daughter took the curse off her Handi
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 01:23:41 PM »
Congrats, that's a great story all unto itself, and ya got some great eatin too, that's hard to beat!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 03:05:51 PM »
Congratulations to both you and your daughter MTGlass. I love to hear these wonderful stories of members great times with their children....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Doug K.A.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 04:04:57 PM »
Congratulations to your daughter and you!
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 04:06:27 PM »
Hunting with the kids is so great.I'm a lucky man too.Been with all of my four boys first deer kills.Getting ready for the Grandson now.Great story.Slow
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 04:51:14 PM »
Well done Sir and congrats to the young miss,   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 05:34:08 PM »
Congrats! I as well love to here stories of the hunt! Its funny how things work out aint it? The big guy up there sure throws in some nice suprises that come unexpected! Glad to see that there are still some people out there introducing kids to the outdoors! Again congrats to you and your daughter!
Hank
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 12:14:30 AM »
Great story! Congratulations to both of you!

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 12:57:12 PM »
Wow,I'd say she took the curse off!Congrats to you both.Oh and tell her I had one of those grins just reading about it.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline carp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 06:47:06 AM »
Congratulations!!!!!

Offline recondoc

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 08:52:44 AM »
I cant' wait until my Daughter is old enough to come hunting with me.  Just a few more years.  She's already asked for a bow so we are on the way.
Congratulations on raising a great kid.
I live by the old saying (Hunt with your kids and you won't have to hunt for your kids.)
Doc

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 12:49:56 PM »
im guessing it was a 7mm-08????? either way that one good shot for the little girl congrat the her for me
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline MTGlass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 11:48:23 AM »
How'd ja guess?  :) 

Youth Model 7mm-08 Handi, Leupold VX-1 3x9 glass, Beartooth comb raising kit, Caldwell 9"-13" bipod, 140gr Partition over 41.5gr of Varget.

I've got in-laws arriving tonight so we probably won't get after the 12 antelope we left standing in the filed until next weekend. :-\

Thanks for all the cudos!  They are appreciated!  I'm a little down now though.  My elk huntin' partner will probably prefer to stay in bed.  :)
Cordially,

MTGlass

Card Carrying Armed American Citizen