Author Topic: medicinal loads in light linebaugh conversion...  (Read 655 times)

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
medicinal loads in light linebaugh conversion...
« on: October 29, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »
Hi folks : took the sage advice of just about everyone : stopped shooting the 475 for a while till the Physical Therapy can get me better, cause the torn elbow tendon was getting much worse..keeping me up nites, etc.  So, after being goaded to get a 44 special by 44 man and Lloyd S. (so as not to jolt my elbow too much, ) I then started to research : read here and on other places the folks talking about the lighter guns, small vaqueros, blackhawks, colt replicas, etc. and decided to sight the six shot Linebuagh 45 with some left over cowboy loads I had gotten... How sweet ! the gun was not without recoil, but it was a lot less than the 44 full power loads, less than the 475 with anything, and less than full power heavy bullet loads for the five shot conversion..
I had been wondering what to exactly do with the lighter gun.
Yes Brothers, I had gotten swept away in  :omaximostus testosteronus :o for a minute and had forgotten how nice and sweet the littler guns shoot : accurate, low recoil, less fatigue due to the reduced weight and recoil...     Now I know what to do with my little six shot :  develop a light load for it ( not that it is all it can handle, ) and be happy to just shoot it accurately until my elbow heals... it is about like a 44 special ... I'll  call it my 45 special ... it has all the advantages of the 44 special short light, powerful enough for deer hunting and hog busting, etc etc.... and I will not have to resight my 475 or my 44 mag for lighter loads, just get each one just right and leave it alone...My forty five special will be sightecd and familiar and ready to be used when I am in the mood or for medical necessity / rehabilitation reasons..
It sure was nice.  I shot a ton of rounds and they grouped about two inches off hand for six shots with most of them in an inch or so.... I found my perfect use for the blackhawk... and I realize that it will kill my deer just as well ... little doubt about it...
Life is Goooooood .
elbow still bad.
dk

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: medicinal loads in light linebaugh conversion...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 11:54:25 PM »
hope you get healed up soon pal. Im heading in to the doc today to try another epidermal steroid injection in the back.
blue lives matter

Offline kennisondan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 07:15:58 AM »
hope the meds do the trick Lloyd.. I can stand the pain interfering with my work... but not my shooting... it will keep my 475 and 358 and 460 from wearing out so soon, I guess.. lol
take it slow, do it right, cannot afford to make it worse.
dk

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 03:22:48 AM »
This is the exact reason, at age 64, that I prefer to use the 45 Colt cylinder in my FA '83 about 99% of the time.  Sure, its fun to fire a cylinder full of full-tilt-boogie rounds of 454 Casull once in awhile, but its really quite silly for me, at least, to do that on a regular basis.  I don't have any wrist or elbow problems currently and I'm not going to push my luck. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline kennisondan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 04:41:25 PM »
Dusty and all :
I really am enjoying shooting the light 45 colt loads; they are great fun and effective too... My doctor and I discussed the following : I am going to go to the PT that I was not taking time to do... and really take that seriously for 3 / 4 weeks then unless we see some real change... we will take more MRIs on it and then I will gut it for the deer season and just take the pain .. then see about scheduling a surgery after the season is over.. after the MRI we can be pretty sure it will not just sever the tendon, so it is just a matter of the pain.... (!) I will try to do it if I can, but I am hoping that I can get some real progress making it reasonable to forsake more of the season in order to avoid a surgery... I can shoot rifles fine, pretty much .. cannot hold up heavy ones, though.  Maybe we will give it two months, even if there is some indications of repair taking place... so far taking it easy has not done a darn thing...hurts more in fact...
point is.. I was told that the regular forty five loads were more than good enough.. but had to have the heavy duty guns... I still want them and will use them.. but will continue to find the sweet spot in the recoil ladder that is tolerable and still fun.. and will have to make time for all the guns now... as they are all equally fun and enjoyable for me...
I am happy you guys here share.. and let me know that your hand gun shooting did not keep you young... mine did not..
dk

Offline fowler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
It's funny I go back to standard 45 colt loads for fun or some perceived purpose and quickly remember how much fun these light loads are and that by gum my groups start to shrink! I wanted to learn to shoot my 45 colt Mountain gun double action so I loaded a bunch of standard 825fps 255 Keith bullet loads up and rediscovered that they were accurate and pleasant to shoot too. 7 - 7.5gr of Unique and a 255gr Keith is a classic load for a lot of reasons and do just what you are speaking of Dan (I still suck at shooting double action but give me a few years and 25,000 rounds and we will see).

Offline kennisondan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 07:36:09 AM »
Aint that the truth, Fowler... pleasant is great and plenty in a 45 long colt.
dk

Offline mikedb

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 01:56:36 PM »
hope you get healed up soon pal. Im heading in to the doc today to try another epidermal steroid injection in the back.

I feel for ya.  I have L4-L5 pbs and have gone the steriod epis without any help.  Finally got set up with a good pain doc in Ann Arbor that did wonders.  I cant run around like I used to but I can do most things in moderation.  However, the pain never totally goes away.   Good Luck.  Do you go to Marqette for health care?