Author Topic: What Barrel Solvent  (Read 814 times)

Offline shooting.al

• Trade Count: (0)
What Barrel Solvent
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:11:07 PM »
I've always used Hoppes #9 and a patch on a jag to clean my barrel. But I've heard that Hoppes #9 does nothing to clean copper fouling and that I should try something like Sweets 7.62 or any other ammonia based cleaner. Is this true that Hoppes won't clean my barrel or does it do a good job. I know all my patches come out with no signs of green or blue coloring. Thanks ???

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: What Barrel Solvent
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 01:43:44 PM »
Even Hoppe's BR is a very mild copper solvent, regular Hoppe's is even milder, but there are many better products on the market now that are much better, try one of the foaming cleaners and you'll get lots of blue out of it, likely several times. Walmart sells Outers for $6.88 a can, Sportsmans Warehouse sells several kinds, the Gunslick brand, which is the same product made by Milfoam, comes in 12oz cans for $11, is the best buy. The foaming cleaners should be used overnight, won't hurt to be left in the bore for extended periods, unlike ammonia based solvents. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 02:11:20 AM »
There are several good products out there to clean bores with. I personally do not want to use the ammonia based products. They work fine, but I do my cleaning in the house and I do not want the ammonia to smell up the place. Like Tim, I use the foaming cleaners for stubborn copper fouling. I usually run a couple of patches of Hoppes #9 bench rest or TM solution down the barrel and let it set for 30 minutes or so. I run dry patches in to see what I have left. I am trying to clean out the powder fouling. I then check the barrel for copper fouling. If it is present, I sent in the foam. Works like a charm, with none of the stroking of the bore with brushes or patches. After I am satisfied the bore is clean, then I dry it with patches and run a patch with Kroil on it. I let it set for a few minutes then run 1 (one) dry patch down the bore to soak up excessive oil. I am good to go for storage or the next shooting session. 
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline shooting.al

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 02:51:53 PM »
When cleaning with Hoppes, if there is copper fouling will it show up on the patch? When I clean I have not seen any blue on my patches, just powder fouling. How good of a cleaner is outers? thanks

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 03:30:13 PM »
How long do you leave it in the barrel? No matter what solvent you are using, you have to give it time to work. if you use a harsh ammonia based solvent then times will be shorted, but when using more mild solvents, you have to give it time to work. If you are running it through followed by a dry patch, it will not have much cleaning action. I have used breech plugs and poured the bore full. Then I let it stand over night. But not often. Any solvent I use, I run a wet tight patch through, followed by another wet patch. I let it set in there for an hour, before I run a dry patch in. You have to give it time to work. I rarely use brushes, when I do I use plastic ones. I do this unless I am at the range. I do not do a through cleaning, I run two wet patches and then three dry, then shoot again. I do not clean it up totally between strings, just trying to get out most of the powder fouling. This is if the barrel does not copper foul much to start with. Some I have copper foul and some do not. I have not used any Outer's products for bore cleaning except the foam. I have used Hoppes #9 BR and TM solution. The TM solution does a fair job of cleaning out powder fouling and copper fouling, but I really like the foam better for copper. Try some foam, Outers brand will work, so will Gun Slick. ;)

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 05:54:45 PM »
Went to K-Mart tonight and they had their 5 ounce bottles of Hoppe's #9 Benchrest solvent on clearance for $2.00. They had six bottles left and they all came home with me!  ;D

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 07:40:12 AM »
Want to try an interesting experiment..... if you know anyone who reloads and shoots get hold of a few copper jacketed bullets.   Soak one submerged in hoppes and use another brand too.... I did this inside plastic bottle caps.  One cap with hoppes and a bullet and use another brand.  Let them both soak 24 hrs and remove the bullet and look at it.  A powerful solvent will eat the finish off a bullet and actually eat into the copper.
My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 08:05:10 AM »
That's pretty dramatic what do you think that would do to the steel in bbl though Tim ? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 08:08:29 AM »
Hoppes Bore Gel --------------no smell. The bore foam also is virtually odorless too. All the others smell the house up.

Works good too.

Mc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 09:34:51 AM »
It's a proven fact that any solvent with ammonia in it can damage a bore if it's allowed to stay in contact with the bore with oxygen present, tests that have been done with the bore completely fully show it's not harmful, but how many folks will do that? The foaming cleaners can be left it for days without a problem, I've forgot and left it in for about 3 days, there was no evidence of any rust or corrosion that I could see and all my cleaning is done in the basement with 60% humidity, bore was just as shiny afterwards, and I do overnight cleanings all the time, sometimes multiple nights on badly fouled bores.

I used to be a dyed in the wool Hoppe's man, used BR for a long time and thought it was great stuff, now all I like it for is the pleasant smell, brings back lots of memories, have thought about putting a wick in a bottle to use as a sportsman's air freshener like air-wick!! ;D

If you want something that works fast, Boretech or Montana Extreme would be my choice, I've used them for cleaning at the range, but for home cleaning, it's one of the foaming cleaners.

Tim

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 10:07:38 AM »
Since I discovered foam...I have been a foamy guy ever since ;D ;D ;D It is just so simple; and it works. I really do not know why everybody does not use it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 10:17:24 AM »
I'm going to recant my anti-ammonia talk, although I've read testing that showed ammonia to be harmful if used in a bore with humidity and air present,  I read this some time back and forgot about it, so maybe it's just a myth perpetuated by pre-existing damage exposed when copper fouling is removed as the author speculates. ;)

Tim

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm