Author Topic: do you carry just a handgun or rifle too ?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
do you carry just a handgun or rifle too ?
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:33:58 PM »
I am wondering how different folks do it : carry a handgun only ?; carry a handgun with a rifle for targets of opportunity ? carry and encore and a six shooter for kinda - pistol - only hunts ?
to start it off, I some days hunt with only a pistol when the shots will likely be closer; when the shots will be varied up to 300 yards,  have brought the pistol along with the rifle for if it present right for the pistol..
considering either more pistol only hunts, or six shooter and encore combination... but am not sure about it...
WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO ... WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE CHOICES.... DID YOU START WITH ONE METHOD AND PROGRESS TO ANOTHER  ?

I am not sure what I am going to do this year.. the idea of handgun only is appealing... but......

dk

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: do you carry just a handgun or rifle too ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 01:45:56 PM »
I've never quite understood the notion of a handgun as "back-up" to a rifle since there is nothing the handgun can do that the rifle can't do better.  I might carry a .22 handgun for grouse or bunnies while hunting with a centerfire rifle or even a shotgun but if I'm carrying my 6" .357 that is likely the only gun I'm packing. I sometimes use the .357 for marmots up above timberline because it is easier to carry than a rifle and stalking within 50 yards of a marmot puts some sport into the hunt. But since I got an AMT automag ll in .22WMR the .357 doesn't get out much any more.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline kennisondan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 02:53:52 PM »
Thks for response'; not really backup... but able to be used if the range is not too great ... the opportunity is presented right.... or do you just use the pistol only instead of the rifle... the pistol cannot do what the rifle cannot... but it can be used when the rifle is not necessary.. more like..
thanks again .. any other opinions ???
dk

Offline Ken ONeill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 02:55:43 PM »
Rifles are fine, but if you carry a rifle with you, you'll never be a handgun hunter.

Offline The Old Redneck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 03:43:14 PM »
    I'm too old and lazy to do any serious Hunting, but I do kill more than my share of critters. I like to carry 2 handguns sometimes, a revolver or Contender with a scope, and revolver with open sights. I use a sling for the Contenders, holster for revolvers. I like shooting sticks, and own several different kinds of them. Squirrel hunting I like to carry a scoped rimfire semi auto or revolver and a centerfire revolver with 6" barrel or less with open sights. Days I just carry one it is usually something with a scope and centerfire. Reason I like having a centerfire revolver with a rimfire when squirrel hunting is coyotes. I have killed several because I had the big bore revolver that I don't think I would have killed with a rimfire. My favorite revolvers to carry are 44's and up with 2 or 4 power scopes. After you learn to use a set of shooting sticks and a scope, you can reach out a ways with a good revolver. Up close and moving open sights have it hands down. It is as easy for me to have two handguns as a rifle and hand gun, and don't feel like I'm giving up anything not having a rifle. With handguns in holsters, or a Contender on a sling I have both hands free. Shooting sticks can also be used like a walking staff, not a bad thing as you get older. Handguns put the fun and sport back into it. To me anything shot with a handgun is more fun than a rifle.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 05:10:18 PM »
I usually carry one or the other, I make a choice and stick with my choice. Some States only let you carry one kind of implement for hunting. Some States let you carry more than one hunting implement.  Now if I am going hunting and have an opportunity to encounter something close up, I like to carry a handgun as well as a rifle.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 05:30:13 PM »
I like to carry a pistol, whether with a rifle or shot gun, as its close by, like on you. So I currently carry a cut down -4.75" SBH, using 240 g swc in a 44 sp case.
Jim

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 05:38:19 PM »
I've never quite understood the notion of a handgun as "back-up" to a rifle since there is nothing the handgun can do that the rifle can't do better.  I might carry a .22 handgun for grouse or bunnies while hunting with a centerfire rifle or even a shotgun but if I'm carrying my 6" .357 that is likely the only gun I'm packing. I sometimes use the .357 for marmots up above timberline because it is easier to carry than a rifle and stalking within 50 yards of a marmot puts some sport into the hunt. But since I got an AMT automag ll in .22WMR the .357 doesn't get out much any more.

I always.  ALWAYS carry a handgun as backup to my rifle.  I hunt in too much brush with too many bears not too.  You try and put an animal through scope when it's coming at you.  Also, if I need to put an animal down, why take the time and waste the rifle ammo?  Also, more bullets out of it faster.  There are many pluses to having the handgun.  Bigger meplat..  Giant silver thing to show off...  More clickey sounds...  I could go all day.  ;D

Now back to the first question.  If you are going to handgun hunt, then handgun hunt, don't bring the rifle.  If you still think you need to kill everything out there, then take the rifle.  But if you want to get into the sport of handgun hunting, then leave the other weapons at home. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline jlbeebe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 05:54:59 PM »
Here in Iowa I use a muzzleloader when I hunt with my group in the shotgun season. I carry my revolver as a back-up to my muzzleloader. There are times when a second shot is necessary to finish off a deer and it is easier to use a handgun than load the muzzleloader again.

Offline Heavy C

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 06:00:06 PM »
I always do especially when when I hunt with my Contender or Encore pistol.  Sometimes it is a 45 ACP revolver and sometimes it's a 5.5" SBH in 44 mag.  It is the "just in case" when I'm out whether my main weapon becomes unusable or it is a situation where you might need it for self defense.  I do a lot of hunting in south Texas and sometimes you come across illegals moments after they cross the border.  Sometimes they are so startled they actually go back across.   :o

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 06:45:32 PM »
Here in Iowa I use a muzzleloader when I hunt with my group in the shotgun season. I carry my revolver as a back-up to my muzzleloader. There are times when a second shot is necessary to finish off a deer and it is easier to use a handgun than load the muzzleloader again.

You gotta watch that revolver in muzzleloader seasons (it may be different there).  When I lived in Arizona, a friend of mine almost got in trouble hunting elk.  He had taken an elk with his muzzleloader, and the fins and feathers guy comes to check him and permit.  Fins and feathers says he wasn't allowed to have a revolver, he say, oh but, its black powder.  Doesn't matter, its still illegal and considered a semi auto because it rotates to bring another round ready under the firing pin without loading. 

But it's like anywhere...  you gotta know the rules where you hunt. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline jlbeebe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 08:11:39 PM »
In Iowa you can use a centerfire handgun in any of the shotgun seasons and also in the late muzzleloader season. You can also use a blackpowder handgun in our early muzzleloader season but I don't hunt at that time. We are able to use a muzzleloader in any of our gun seasons.

You gotta watch that revolver in muzzleloader seasons (it may be different there).  When I lived in Arizona, a friend of mine almost got in trouble hunting elk.  He had taken an elk with his muzzleloader, and the fins and feathers guy comes to check him and permit.  Fins and feathers says he wasn't allowed to have a revolver, he say, oh but, its black powder.  Doesn't matter, its still illegal and considered a semi auto because it rotates to bring another round ready under the firing pin without loading. 

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 01:39:54 AM »
pretty rare that i carry a rifle. I may on rare occasion use one out of a stand but when im walking the rifles stay home.
blue lives matter

Offline 300winman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 02:11:20 AM »
Never owned a handgun growing up in MI, mainly used the 12 ga or 20 ga and sometimes a 22 rifle.  Since moving out west I've learned there are big dangerous critters out here unlike MI, where the only thing to worry about was a coyote.  The Dan Wesson 445 always accompanies me when I step foot out in the woods here in Oregon, rifle hunting or not.  Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!  But when I go back to Michigan for deer hunting, I carry either the pistol or the shotgun, never together.
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 04:42:00 AM »
I occasionally carry a rifle, as this year I have a NEF 30-30 that I picked up for when the Grand kids come to hunt.  I will carry that a couple of days just because it is new to me.  95% of my hunting is with a handgun, my favorite being the FA Stalker that Mag-na-port built for me.  But I always, ALWAYS have a belt gun on also.  Either a revolver (usually) but sometimes a 1911.  I will take a deer with open sights if given the opportunity, but I am much more concerned with the two legged predators I might run across.  44 Man

You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Psurf911

• Hit em hard and bring home the bacon
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 04:38:08 PM »
I never carry a rifle anymore. I always carry my .357 Vaquero. You can't scope it but i can hit two inch groups out to 15 yards. Thats plenty for me. All i do is pig hunt anyway here in Hawaii its pretty much all jungle. No need for a rifle.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 05:28:56 PM »
You can use a centerfire handgun in your muzzleloader season?  Heck, I think my .454 might have to visit Iowa!

In Iowa you can use a centerfire handgun in any of the shotgun seasons and also in the late muzzleloader season. You can also use a blackpowder handgun in our early muzzleloader season but I don't hunt at that time. We are able to use a muzzleloader in any of our gun seasons.

Offline jlbeebe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 11:09:58 PM »
I'll be using mine at that time!!!
You can use a centerfire handgun in your muzzleloader season?  Heck, I think my .454 might have to visit Iowa!

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 12:17:59 AM »
I carry my Ruger old army as a back up during BP season here in Ky(it's legal) and you get six shots at cotton tails and other small game during no deer days.  I've also taken a shotgun during deer/turkey season, due to having toms approach my stand on at least 2 occasions while waiting for a buck.  The worst was a large tom that actually crowed about 20 yds from me and hung around for 1/2 hour.  I have a 357 max revolver as my primary deer gun.

Offline revo

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 02:34:49 AM »
I've been carrying a 5.5" Single Six along with a 20ga when hunting rabbits. I take along a 41 Mag with my 30-30 for deer. Not so much as a backup, but for just another use.

I hunt orchards and Christmas tree farms -- very tight areas to say the least. Depending where I setup or the area I'm working decides the tool that's employed.

This year I'll be leaning more towards packing the handgun only. Handgun hunting has interested me for some time, but it's only now after much-much (and then some more) practice that I feel prepared for the challenge.

So now it'll be the Single Six for rabbit/squirrel and the FA 97 41 Mag for deer. Both with very short self imposed limits. But then again...the trees are my limits to begin with. :)

Offline jhm

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 03:37:24 AM »
44 Man:  What a difference a HAT makes, I would not have recognized you with the FLAT hat!!  JIM

Offline kennisondan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 06:41:56 AM »
ditto on the hat.. 44 man.
it is interesting that folks carry both, carry one, carry two...I am still a little undecided, have not had the time to practice that I would like with the scoped encore or the open sighted sixguns but there is still time to decide ..
interesting what Ken said - if you never stop carrying a rifle you will never be a hangun hunter...
it seems there are lots of folks that are in the transition stages and like me have held onto the security blanket long guns...
if I get to go to texas it will definitely be handgun only, and will not bring a rifle at all ... that keeps me from bugging out and grabbing it out of fear... I am thinking unless the scoped encore comes around greatly for me in the next few weeks I will only use a rifle for stand hunting on long open spaces and have the six gun for anything and everything up close... with the rifle propped in the corner... toward the end of the season when the rut picks up here, it is possible during the week to have a power line to my self with 3-400 yards each way to hunt and the big bucks lose their good sense ... sort of like drunk men... will have the both then.
most times it will probably be sixgun, and encore .... probably... we will see....
ANY OTHER OPTIONS ?
THANKS TO ALL SO FAR, THIS IS AN INTERESTING THREAD..
DK

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 01:04:36 PM »
  I rarely carry a rifle at all anymore. Unless it is something new or different that I am playing with, I usually stick to the handgun. I agree with the thoughts above that if you carry both to have an option for a close or far shot, you will probably not use the handgun.

In the five years or so that I have stuck with the handgun, I have not had a situation that if I had a rifle instead of the handgun, the outcome would have been different. Any deer that I couldn't get a shot with the handgun,  a rifle wouldn't have helped any.

I really get fired up about hunting deer with a handgun, it brings back an excitement that had started to wane after many seasons of chasing the critters.

Find a handgun you like, work up a load, practice with it until you know yours and it's limits and then go have some fun.
Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline Gene R

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 03:10:11 PM »
I have always carried a single six when hunting, all types of hunting. But now I am carrying my 45LC more and more, especially for pigs. Even when I have a rifle I still carry my revolver, I find it real handy when the game slips up behind my right side...

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 05:14:20 PM »
I ALWAYS have a handgun with me. Some times I'm handgun hunting and carry only one or at times two of them with me. At other times I'm actually rifle hunting but can't go without a handgun also. If a shot presents itself inside the range of the handgun I have with me I use it but if the shot presented is beyond the range of my iron sighted hadngun I'll use the rifle. At other times I'll take an iron sighted handgun and a scoped long range handgun and use which ever seems appropriate to the task.

For many years I took only handguns with me but these days I use both rifles and handguns. I never know which might get the nod and it really depends on distance. But unless I know the range will be well inside of iron sight range I'll either have a scoped longer range handgun with me or a rifle. But I mostly hunt in places where my chances of using the handgun are high.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 05:22:30 PM »
Four shots at three deer, all three deer down, out comes the "back up" hand gun since the rifle is empty.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline kennisondan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 04:50:25 AM »
 :o ;)sounds like a reasonably good day, cheesehead...lol  are you a cajun too ? that sounds sort of like one of my people.... :" ... all three deer down, out comes the back up handgun since the rifle is empty " ... I just know you left out : "out  springs that hope that one will try to get up ... or another will come out while I am hot.."...
that is what I would be thinking about then....
roflmao...
dk

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 05:34:10 AM »
Hey!  I'll have you know that hat is a real trophy and cost me all of $3! 
But seriously, I don't think that hat fits my image of myself either, but it is insulated, very comfy, and has ear flaps for when it gets really cold.  It also slips through the brush better than a cowboy hat.  And you have to admit, it looks better than the pumpkin orange knit hat (with a green loop on top no less!) that I used to wear some years ago!  Often I'll wear a 'fedora' type hunting hat but this one comes out when it is cold. 
I live in the middle of lower Michigan.  Now if I lived where Lloyd Smale does, I'd be cold all of the time.  I think Michigan's U.P. has four seasons.  June, July, August, and winter!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 06:01:17 AM »
dk,

Not a Cajun, just a Cheesehead from Wisconsin. :D lol

44man

Even with the hat, that is a great photo. ;D

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline obxmike

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 10:43:20 AM »
My poor deer rifle hasn't seen the light of day since I got my Encore! Unless it's muzzleloader season, I will have the Encore in either .308 or .44mag, with my bisley vaquero in .44 riding hip as backup or for a close shot at 20-30 yds. Got lots of black bears here in the Great Dismal, so I don't go out light!