17 (45.9%)
1" to 2"
12 (32.4%)
2" to 3"
3 (8.1%)
Over 3"
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Real 243 accuracy.  (Read 2117 times)

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
Real 243 accuracy.
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:30:23 AM »
There has been a lot of talk about the finicky 243 handi.
I think it is time we find out for sure.
Please vote what your rifle shoots on a average with it's favorite round\load.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Real 243 accuracy.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:18:21 AM »
This should be interesting!!

Spanky

Offline sanso1

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Sansone Gun Services
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 12:28:47 PM »
mine is a 22" stndrd brrl and I was worried maybe the 24"bull would have been better. I think the trigger is too heavy but getting consistent 3/4" groups. with better trigger I might get 1/2"??
lotsa work doing trigger jobs on these I hear. driving out heavy pins. that shiny new reciever seems to be at great risk of cosmetic damage. maybe deer season I won't care about scratching the NEW gun :o

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 12:34:09 PM »
mine shoots in the .2's
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 12:56:46 PM »
I don't have a Handi in 243, but I wanted to comment.

sanso1, the trigger job is NOT hard if you have a few tools and are pretty mechanically inclined.  I printed off the info that can be found in the FAQ's regarding trigger job.  I read them at least 5 times.  The PERKLO stuff is very detailed and helps a lot in disassembly and assembly.  I used mainly the RAYNOR stuff for the actual trigger work.

I had never messed with a Handi before and I think it took me about 3 hours to complete the job.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 01:16:10 PM »
I bought mine used at a gun show which it looked like new and all i did to mine was clean the barrel and bought 1 box of rem core loks 100 gr and it shot 1 to 2 inch group shoot a big buck with it last year at 230 yards 1 shot threw the heart ran about 20 yards and was done i would use this rifle again this year but i bought a new bolt rifle it 25-06 i am going to use this year i wouldnt have any trouble useing this rifle any day of the week to shoot deer with mine is the regular standerd barrel
1 shot 1 kill

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 02:43:30 PM »
Mine is the 20" Super Lite , with all the factory ammo that i have tried it will shoot a big fat 0.000 , as it has only seen hand loads .  ;D The 2 loads that i have settled on will both stay under 1" @ 100 , and this is the PICKY HANDI .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 03:51:19 PM »
Stimpy buddy now you have me excited. I have never had any desire for a .243 and did not see the need for one. I am however in the process of finalizing a swap with Spanky and am getting itchy to try the SL .243, the gun many say can be the most finicky of all the Handi's....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 04:11:54 PM »
I had a 22" standard, but didn't have the time to reload for it. With Federal Power-Shocks it shot 1" and under. I believe I could have gotten it lower if I had the time.

-Aaron

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 03:23:51 AM »
I don't have a 243 ether but I do have some interest.
Plus, I am tired of the 243 handi getting slammed all the time.

So far we only have 2 over 2" and the factory would probably fix them if you asked nice.

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 04:07:06 AM »
I got my 243 barrel this summer in a handi parts trade.  I have only recently taken it to the range, but it has REALLY impressed me.  The only problem is that it needs one fouling shot.  Once the barrel is dirty with powder from ONE shot, it will do under an inch.  I ran a dry patch down the barrel after each 4 shot group, and the first one would fly about 1.5" off the rest of the group. 
Federal fusion 95gr ammo has given me the best results.  Winchester silver tip 95gr and Hornady light-mag 100gr both open my groups up to about 1.5".  I would imagine the difference is pressure.  The Fusion doesn't kick as much as the silvertip or the light mag, so I am guessing it is several hundred FPS slower.    The Hornady light mag is incredibly loud shooting, much louder than the other 2 so it could be just too fast.
I am using a 6-18x Nikon scope on a dednutz mount and a Cabelas Nitro rest weighted down by a couple of 50lb sandbags.

I will post some target pictures after work if you need them.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 04:51:50 AM »

Mine bull barrel would group in the 1's & 2's when I took my time with it and even when I shot it as fast as I could for 20 shots with hand loads...will still group under 3/4" .It would do this because the barrel was polished with Flitz...and an oversized o-ring floated the barrel...and could do this hot or cold...from a fouled bore..

I am sure you will find there will be some that don't shoot good..no matter what was done to them...The 243 has gotten a bad rap needlessly because of some people thinking they need to shoot 10 shot groups with the standard & super light barrels to "qualify" their groups some how...all the while forgetting they were shooting a break action single shot with sporter weight barrels...or cheap factory ammo that the rifle doesn't like...Some also forget...there are some rifles that won't shoot any factory ammo good...and needs to be fed a proper diet of handloads to behave correctly...It doesn't make them "bad" shooters...especially to a reloader...but to someone who doesn't reload they are junk...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline cajun

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 08:29:44 AM »
My 243 Ultra Varmint will shoot .5 to 1 inch with 100 grain handloads if I do my part.  I have extreme confidence in this little gun and it is my go to for whitetail deer.  Have harvested deer out to 240 yards with this gun.

Thanks,,,,,,

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 03:22:17 AM »
Well so far half do better than 1moa,
and only 4 are bad enough to send back to the factory.
Plus we are not talking about Olympic target shooters here.
Just everyday hunters with cheap guns and a keyboard.

You guys haven't scared me out of buying one yet.

Also, I expected more than one vote last night.
I know there are a lot of these rifle out there.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 04:27:18 AM »

In reality...there is only 1 that truly qualifies to go back..A 2" rifle while not the best and certainly unacceptable to many falls within NEF's acceptable range..unless of course the barrel is loose or is popping open on a factory fitted barrel...If the owner fitted his own...then all bets are off...but...you are right...they most likely would try to fix the problem on a factory fitted one shooting 2" groups with factory ammo if they were asked nicely..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 05:22:49 AM »
Yeah 4 would be assuming that the three in the 2" to 3" range are closer to 3" than 2".

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 05:36:22 PM »
went to the range again.  The fusion 95 performed better than last time. I shot two 4 shot groups, but still needed a fouling shot.  The first group on a cold barrel made one long hole with my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th shots.

I tried the 85grain light mag hornady, and it works much better than the 100gr.  With the exception of the first shot again, it is moa at 100 yards and 200 yards.

Here are the pictures:

(the grid on the targets are 1")

Offline 204shooter

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 03:52:42 PM »
Hey Partsman,  I recently tried out my .243 handi superlight that my wife purchased for me.  I was not aware of this forum so I was flying solo.  I tried several different loads in the thing without much success.  I had the best "accuracy" (I really hate to call it that) with the 75 grain Hornady hollow points.  I was able to achieve 5 inch groups at 50 yards and this was after I had put 110 rounds through the barrel.  I finally decided to call H&R and send it back.  It is there now.  Hopefully they will be able to do something with it.  It is my first experience with any H&R product and it has not started off very good.
     You can add one more to ones that would be returned.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 03:58:11 AM »
They won't send it back until they can send a target with a decent group at 100yd with it.
With my 7mm-08 it had to shoot 2" or less.