Author Topic: Question about stocks???  (Read 308 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Question about stocks???
« on: October 31, 2007, 02:43:21 PM »
I have an adult butt stock, standard pistol grip, that came with a plastic butt plate.  I would like to cut it to the length that it would be if it had come with a recoil pad.  Then, leave off the butt plate and install a Limbsaver slip-on.  Will this work?  Do I need to have the butt plate on it?  I can grind or file that down and then add the slip-on Limbsaver.  Wha'da'ya think???
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Question about stocks???
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 03:18:33 PM »
I think the buttplate is usually taken off anyway when you put a slip on pad on.

Spanky

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 03:41:50 PM »
H&R/NEF buttstocks are not all created equal (length wise). Cutting one would not be difficult, just be careful and do it as you are cutting fine or finished wood so you do not chip the edges. I usually leave any thin plastic buttplates on when I use a slip-on recoil pad on my guns but I would think you could remove it if you preferred to. Since buttstock length varies with these guns I suggest you determine what length YOU want and need and let that be your guide in cutting...Good Luck....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 11:25:31 PM »
Thanks, Spanky/Andy.  I just wasn't sure if there was a standard for this.  Yes, Andy, I hear ya.  I found that out when I bought a youth model from Walmart.  Turns out that THEIR youth model had a standard butt stock, cut to length for a recoil pad and then just a butt plate added.  Actually a cost effective way to do it, but some of us need/want that recoil pad.  Thanks for the help, guys.

Rich
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"