Author Topic: Another stock question...  (Read 332 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Another stock question...
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:01:31 AM »
I have a youth, wood butt stock with a mild comb on it.  It's half way between a standard and monte carlo height.  It came on a combo with a youth 20ga dn 243 barrel.  If I change that out for a standard  pistol grip stock, will that allow me to lower my rear sight on my Tracker I barrel?  I am almost at the end of the upward adjustment for the rear sight.  Thanks

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Another stock question...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:31:44 PM »
In a word, no. The sights line up to each other, front to rear, the height of the comb of the buttstock only has to do with the positioning of your face/cheek, not with sight alignment. I would suggest a higher front sight (sight blade), that would allow you to lower the rear sight. In the past the highest front sight that H&R/NEF provided on their iron sighted guns was supplied on their .22 Hornets. Not all the H&R/NEF front sights are the same height....<><....:)

Oops, I just saw Tracker I, their front sights are silver soldered or welded on...bend the barrel perhaps? or shoot a slower slug...
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 12:38:51 PM »
That makes sense.  After posting the question, I continued to mull this over and have come to 2 conclusions. :o

1 The shorter youth stock, combined with the slight comb are uncomfortable to me.

2 I need to be more consistant in getting the same cheek weld in the same spot on every shot.

So, basically, its ME not the sights.  Easy fix...shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. ;D

Thanks, Andy.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:41:42 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 04:28:09 PM »
Thanks, Tim.  I had forgotten about that info. 
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"