Author Topic: Elk Down II  (Read 508 times)

Offline lucky guy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Elk Down II
« on: November 01, 2007, 04:55:30 AM »
I got this 6 x 7 on opening day in the Maury Mtns in Central Oregon. A little before 6:00pm a herd of about 20 came into one of the fields about 3/4 mile away. At first I could only see a few cows and a couple calves, then a spike stepped out. I dropped below the ridge and headed toward them to get the spike. I popped over a rocky knob right on top of them, about 75 yds away. I was alot closer than I meant to be and I didn't want to take too much time and risk spooking them, but I couldn't find the spike through the junipers. Then this guy stepped into view. I didn't count the points but there were alot of them so I took the shot. He ran about 20 yds and fell dead.

When I shot and the herd bolted it turned out there were alot more there than I had been able to see. They broke toward me into the closest trees for cover. I thought for a second they might come up and over the knob where I was sitting but they turned and side hilled through the trees and were gone.

We hunted hard for another 4 days to get a shot for my brother. We think we found where they were, but we just couldn't get a look at them. On Saturday I tracked another (the same?) small herd for a few miles into the same area where I'd shot the bull a couple of days before. We just never got a look at them.

It was a great hunt and my first elk!

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Elk Down II
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 06:26:32 AM »
very nice bull, congrats and good story

I am taking my son (he's 14) on his first ever elk hunt tomorrow morning thru next week.

Offline Sweet 6.5

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 06:40:53 AM »
 ;)

Nice shooting, great elk!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 06:53:34 AM »
Very nice elk.  Nothing like having your first elk be one of a lifetime.

Offline BFawlty

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 04:12:55 AM »
Congrats on the elk!! And your first to boot, nice story.

BF