Author Topic: 8/10 signal cannon  (Read 1394 times)

Offline misfire

• Trade Count: (0)
8/10 signal cannon
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:00:06 AM »
While I was searching through the older post I came across a post about a flip breech type of signal cannon. The breech had a door that flip to the side complete with firing pin mech integrated in it. Does anyone have a set of plans for building this setup? TIA

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 8/10 signal cannon
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:29:49 PM »
Hope someone has drawings, I've never seen a set, although I've seen many of the guns and have several.  Seems I may have some good pix somewhere that I could post if that would help.  Salute guns by Strong of New Haven CT came with two very different firing mechs.  The early ones, i think pre-1900 or so, had a somewhat complex self-cocking mech with many parts, all contained in the rotating breechblock.  They are usually frozen with rust and corrosion when you find a gun with them.

Don't try to duplicate that one, ain't worth the trouble.

The later one was incredibly simple and robust.  A spring-loaded firing striker with a cocking knob on the rear end was pulled back to cock it.  A simple spring-loaded sear at right angles to it engaged when the detent in the striker passed it on cocking.  Pulling the lanyard withdrew the sear enough to release the striker.  The striker and spring fit into a hole in the breechblock that was aligned with the center of the bore, when the breechblock was closed.  The sear was a straight piece of bronze (or maybe steel in some models) that came out the bottom of the breechblock..

Offline misfire

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:45:20 PM »
Pictures would be nice. Thanks

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 02:03:08 PM »
Here are some pix I happened to have on the computer, a 3 ga. Strong with the old style (not-recommended) self-cocking firing mech.  It does show a typical Strong Co. breech mech, with latch knob on right, and pull-type extractor.  There's an extractor pawl like that of a shotgun that catches the lip of the cartridge.  The barrel is about 30" long on this piece.  The brass cartridge shown is shorter than the original ones, it is a repro case.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 04:16:21 PM »
John,

That's a nice piece! Is it yours??? All it needs is some rubbers for the wheels. ;D

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 12:56:43 PM »
It was mine, I traded it for the French 8-pounder bronze gun I had at Mansfield, OH last May.  I liked the salute gun but I had to have the French 8-pdr.  I already had one French gun by founder "Lecourant," a 1-pounder swivel, so when its big brother came available, I had to go for it.