Author Topic: primers  (Read 583 times)

Offline Weatherman68

• Trade Count: (3)
primers
« on: November 02, 2007, 07:21:56 AM »
I have a question for all of you who are seasoned reloaders  ;D.  I have a H&R 35 Whelen that I purchased used from a local shop.  $150.00 for the gun with a scope was a deal too good to pass up.  On the rifle thread there are a lot of guys who have had problems with mis-fiers.  I decided to purchase some brasss, Remington bullets and load some with IMR 4064.  I loaded 20 rounds to start and took it to the range and got the scope diled in.  All of these were loaded with Winchester primers.

The next batch I loaded up with the same bullet, a half of grain more powder, (trying to find the best load). The only change is that this time I had CCI primers.  About 1/3 of them did not go off when the hammer fell the first time.  Some would go off if I dropped the hammer a second time and some would not go off at all.  I cheded the length with the caliper and all are the same. Could there be a difference in the hardness of the primers?  This is the only variable that I can think of.  If I decide to dump the loads and start over with Winchester primers do I just fire the empty casings so I can press out the CCI primers?  Never did this before and I'm not sure of the procedure.  Brass is once fired Remington brass.  Thanks for the assist.        :)
Why is there never enough time to do it right but there is always enough time to do it again?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: primers
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 07:28:45 AM »
The 35 Whelen Handi has been discontinued due to the issue you have with it, although some members have had theirs repaired at H&R, others had new barrels of other chamberings fitted on H&R's dime.  ;) See the NEF/H&R Centerfire forum FAQs and Helps sticky for more info. ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,123365.msg1098440447.html#msg1098440447
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 09:04:20 AM »
I have deprimed many cases and have always just run the unfired primers thru the die.  If all you want to do is deprime, set the die a little high and extend the depriming pin a bit so you don't resize the case.  If you run it all of the way into the resizing die without lubricant you will get a case stuck.  The bullets may be a bit loose without neck sizing, but in a single shot this won't be a problem by itself.

Always wear safety glasses when working with primers.  I had one or 2 go off a long time ago while seating primers (don't remember why).  Besides being a hazard to the eyes, it is very loud!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 11:10:40 AM »
Weatherman

I have had the same thing happen with CCI primers in guns that have a light hammer fall , while Win. primers work just fine in those guns .

Over the years i have found that Winchester primers are the easiest to fire , as for pulling the rounds , if you have a kenitic or a collet puller just pull the bullets and put a little lube on the case and run them back through the sizing die as you would with fired brass .

And as woodchukhntr said ALWAYS wear safety glasses .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 12:46:43 PM »
I have a decapping die that is in a dedicated press (a cheap Lee, about $20). I also use this press to pull bullets with. I have pressed out live primers before. I just use a smooth and slow touch on the handle. As you have been warned Wear eye protection when working with live primers either seating or pushing out live ones.

BTW when you have a die that is made to push out primers (live or spent) you can use it for all of your cases. I use it on 44 Magnums as well as 22 Hornet and every thing in between. It will accommodate a larger range than that. The real nice thing is I do not have to worry about lubing cases or readjusting dies to push out a live primers. I deprime and then run the case over my RCBS Trim Mate to clean the primer pockets and deburr case mouths if needed. I am ready to neck or full length size then. I have a Lee decapping die that cost some where around $11 or so.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 12:57:18 PM »
I use the Lee Universal Decapping die exclusively for decapping prior to tumbling and resizing.

Tim

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/tworeloadingtools/index.asp

Universal Decapper $7.67

Decapping Live Primers

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 12:17:02 AM »
Tim - that is the one I use. I also use it for every thing. You can say so much with so few words. ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 05:35:23 AM »
 ;)

Offline Weatherman68

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 07:52:39 AM »
Thanks for all of the advise.  Been on the road traveling and just had the chance to read some of the replies.  I will pull the bullets and start from scratch.  Once I get some new primers I'll try it again.  Hopefully the problem is as easy to solve as that.

;D
Why is there never enough time to do it right but there is always enough time to do it again?