Author Topic: Picked Up My New 30-30 Today...  (Read 628 times)

Offline bigmac_au85

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (0)
Picked Up My New 30-30 Today...
« on: November 02, 2007, 04:08:10 PM »
My new Handi 30-30 came in today.  I haven't shot it yet, but I really like it.  It was the LAST one Sports South had in stock, so I feel lucky to get one.

Fit and finish are what you'd expect for a $250 gun.  Metal bluing is a little spotty in some places, and the wood is, well, "budget".

I like the open sights.  Somewhat better than a 44 mag I once had.

It has an extractor, which is what I was hoping for.

The trigger is really heavy, though.  I'm guessing 6-7 lbs.  I'll have to see what I can do about that.

My plan is to put a Monte Carlo stock on it, mount a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32 scope, and shoot deer out to 125 yards from my treestand.  If it shoots 3" groups at that range, I'll be happy.  But I imagine it will do a lot better than that.

I'm just getting back into deer hunting after several years away from it.  I wanted to get an inexpensive gun that would reliably do the job within the forgiving yardage limits that I hunt.  A gun I wouldn't be afraid to get scratched up.  I wanted to shoot reasonably priced factory ammo.  Also, due to shoulder surgery, I'm somewhat recoil sensitive.  I don't think I could have picked a better gun.

Anybody have suggestions for scope mount and rings?  Is the H&R scope mount a good choice?

Thanks

Offline MOGLEY

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Picked Up My New 30-30 Today...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 04:31:33 PM »
Check out the trigger  how to in the FAQ section. I was real timid about taking on such a thing but with the schematic break down and a few assembly runs, it is an easy thing to do AND IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE in accuracy.
Stupid Hurts

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 05:02:05 PM »
Scope base and ring info can also be found in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 06:44:12 PM »
Bigmac,
You might want to get another recoil pad for your 30-30. A lot of people like the Limbsaver.
A better recoil pad will make like a lot easier for you. A trigger job is really easy to do. Just
follow the info in the help section. It makes a huge difference for a little bit of elbow grease
and almost zero $. I bet you are going to like that rifle. Good luck and good hunting.

Robert

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 12:18:45 PM »
The 30-30 Handi's are great guns. I have one that I bought about 3 years ago and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I shoot Remington Core Lokt's in 150 gr. and mine will shoot 1.5" or less. You definitely made a good choice.

Spanky

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 01:19:05 PM »
You should really like that gun. I've had one for about 10 years now and it will do the job. Went to the range today and sighted in my new scope and it grouped just a little over 1" at 100 yards both with 150 grain factory and 125 grain handloads.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.