Author Topic: New To The Forum!  (Read 642 times)

Offline Handi22-250

• Trade Count: (0)
New To The Forum!
« on: November 02, 2007, 10:41:49 PM »
Hi, it looks like you folks are very good with handi rifles over here, so I thought I would join as I have just purchased my first NEF/H&R rifle and, my first centerfire rifle as well.

I bought it in .22-250, as targets and praire dogs are what I am going after.

It does the popping open after each shot, and looked it up on here and found other cool stuff too.

Just one question, is there any body that sells stocks for the handi rifle?
??

Thanks!

Rick

Offline jhoutdoors

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: New To The Forum!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
Welcome, I'm fairly new myself to the board but, I can ensure you'll learn a lot from all of the knowledge of the members. As far as stocks go I could provide a partial list of options but I rather give one of the "godfathers" of handi rifles a chance to  give you the complete list.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 02:20:10 AM »
Handi22-250

Welcome aboard , as for stocks , you have a couple of ops. Gun Stocks Inc. carry ones that you need to do some final finishing on but look very good when done , also Choate makes the ( Tupperwear ) sets for H&R or you can buy from H&R themselves .

Boyds are making some thumbhole stocks that can be gotten from H&R also .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 02:24:46 AM »
Welcome aboard, you have found the most informative site about Handi rifles. You need to look through the FAQ at the top of this section. It has many problem solving sections to it + a whole lot more information. Popping open can be caused by oil on the latch/shelf. Did you thoroughly clean it inside and out before shooting, if not you need to, look in the FAQ for more information. Make sure you snap the actions shut every time too, to ensure yu are getting full engagement of the latch. A variety of stocks can be purchased through H&R. They have laminated stocks, a few different plastic stocks and they have wood ones with a comb and with out a comb. Look through one of their catalogs (can do on line). Just about anything you see in the catalog you can buy through them. Gunstocks Inc. is another source for Handi stocks/fore ends.

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web%20pages/Plate%20Pic's/NEF%20stocks/Handi-rifle%20stocks.htm           just copy and paste into your browser

There are others, just not at my finger tips right now.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 03:53:54 AM »
I have purchased two stock sets from Brownells to dress up my Handi's.

Mc

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 04:37:21 AM »
Welcome Aboard!!! This is a great place, you will love it!
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

Offline Handi22-250

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 04:55:07 AM »
Well this is great!  What a welcome!!   ;D 

I didn't do any research on these rifles til I had the popping open, so it hasn't been stripped for full cleaning, I'll have to look up on here how to break it down, cause there is a ton of oil on the latch, and I can't get to it without a break down. 

I've been giving it a really firm snap shut, but it seems to pop open still, probably due to that pesky oil!!  But there is a good "wear" mark on the barrel latch catch so it looks like the barrel rotation is fine.

I REALLY like the thumb hole stock for these things!!!  LaOtto222: thanks for the link!  That is exactly what I am looking for!  I love the laminate thumb hole they have to offer in the link you gave me.

This forum is great!

Thanks!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 05:28:56 AM »
Hey Quick, how about posting a picture of an H&R/NEF Thumbhole stock for this new member.
I just got my camo laminate H&R/NRF Thumbhole stock in the mail yesterday and I like it a lot...
Thanks Tim....<><....:)

By the way Handi22-250, Welcome aboard buddy, it's nice to heave you here with us....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 05:51:22 AM »
Welcome aboard Handi22-250!! Not much I can add other than pics of the t-hole stocks MSP asked for, each set is $122.50 shipped from H&R, but be patient, they've been reported to be out of them from time to time due to their popularity and them being  available on factory firearms.  Other H&R stock prices can be found in the 2007 Retail Parts Price list in the FAQs. ;) The synthetic stocks can be seen at the mfr's website and on the H&R site.

Tim

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_category.cfm?queries_index=Gallery&ProductCode=33

www.hr1871.com

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 06:01:21 AM »
I had sent H&R a money order for a laminated thumbhole stock and matching forend.
I had it returned this week with a note saying they were out of them and I should
try again after the first of the year.

Robert

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 06:28:26 AM »
I do believe H&R is currently out of them. I was able to find a buttstock only, as new, from a fine member here. It cost me within a buck or 2 of a new one but is is a new one and they are not available so I am happy, even if I was not planning on getting one. When the member, cjturner7, a fine guy, posted about it and mentioned camo laminate I could not refuse :). I will be ordering a matching (but checkered) forearm,  when the financial time is right. My set-up will be identical to the top picture posted by quick. I am really impressed with the quaity of the H&R Thumhole buttstock, and t Pachmyer Decelerator pad on it is a nice touch. Chris (cjturner7) had just received it but felt the alignment of his eye and the scope he has mounted on his gun was not what he wanted, so now it is mine....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 06:33:49 AM »
Welcome

Great bunch of folks here on GBO and the Handi knowledge base is....Amazing!

Bill

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 12:21:04 PM »
Well this is great!  What a welcome!!   ;D 

I didn't do any research on these rifles til I had the popping open, so it hasn't been stripped for full cleaning, I'll have to look up on here how to break it down, cause there is a ton of oil on the latch, and I can't get to it without a break down. 

I've been giving it a really firm snap shut, but it seems to pop open still, probably due to that pesky oil!!  But there is a good "wear" mark on the barrel latch catch so it looks like the barrel rotation is fine.

I REALLY like the thumb hole stock for these things!!!  LaOtto222: thanks for the link!  That is exactly what I am looking for!  I love the laminate thumb hole they have to offer in the link you gave me.

This forum is great!

Thanks!

Not really necessary to break down the rifle other than just open the action, and get yourself a "Q" tip and swab the area around the latch shelf and catch, and also the chamber, with alcohol and it should be fine!

I think it is Tim who stores his rifles muzzle down so that the oil doesn't seep into the latch area.

It's a good thing to know your rifle inside and out, but I don't think it's necessary to get into the guts of it, but if you do a trigger job would be an idea, and you can find that in the FAQ's.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 12:27:04 PM »
Yes indeed, muzzle down. ;) Just a note of caution if you use a degreaser on the frame, the trigger guard is plastic, some solvents may damage it, although I don't know of a particular instance of it happening. I use a Q-tip and alcohol to clean the latch and shelf after cleaning to make sure there's no solvent on em, particularly when cleaning between shots at the range, it's real easy to drip a little solvent on the latch shelf directly below the chamber mouth.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain