Author Topic: pardner barrel  (Read 390 times)

Offline Benaiah

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
pardner barrel
« on: November 03, 2007, 12:34:10 PM »
 I just scored a 12 gauge Pardner at a pawn shop for $60 out the door. Am thinking of having the barrel cut to 24" and having it threaded for choke tubes. Would it be cheaper to do that or just have NEF fit the 24" turkey barrel?

Thanks,
TC
I've shot many a sassy bandit with just my pistol!

Gus McRae

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: pardner barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:42:10 PM »
The barrel will cost $88 plus the shipping cost to them, dunno what a smith will charge for the work.

Tim

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 06:21:17 AM »
I don't know if they (NEF) will still do it, but they used to credit you the $30 the extended choke tube cost's, if you don't want it. That would bring the barrel cost down to $58 (Incl. fitting & shipping back to you), plus the cost of shipping to them. I doubt that you can get a barrel cut and threaded for tubes for less than $75. You would still have the standard barrel to sell, or whatever, and you may be able to recoup another $35 - $40 or so on it by selling it in the classifieds.

Might even get them to do a trigger job on it while they have it? You will first need to determine if the gun is new enough for them to fit barrels to it, must be newer than a 1987 and have a serial # that starts with a N or H, IIRC.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Benaiah

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 12:16:13 PM »
 I like the idea of getting the 24" turkey barrel and getting the trigger reduced while it's there. I just checked the H&R website, and it looks to me like the price is $63 for the barrel. Comes with a extra full choke tube. The problem is that it will have to wait because it's my only shotgun, and I'll need it for small game. How long is their turn around time?
I've shot many a sassy bandit with just my pistol!

Gus McRae

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 12:18:15 PM »
That's just the cost of the barrrel, there's another $25 fitting and return shipping($63 + $25= $88), plus the cost of shipping your frame to them that you need to consider in comparing costs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain