Author Topic: What the H***?  (Read 444 times)

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
What the H***?
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:31:50 AM »
I bought a rifle new in the box that a friend of a friend won at the local Ducks Unlimited banquet recently.  It is a Mossberg atr100 chambered in 270Win and was a package gun with a Simmons scope on it but the guy who won it kept the scope, which was fine with me.  I bought it for my Son,  Kyle, who lives out of state because the 25/06 that I passed down to him that was originally my Dads shot out and now shoots 5" groups.  I planned to either give him this rifle or a Tikka T3 300WSM and put the Leupold on the Moss that is on his Ruger 25/06.  I wanted to shoot the Mossberg but didn't have a scope to mount on it so I borrowed a friends Simmons El Cheapo that came originally on his Winchester package gun, that he removed when he first bought it.  I tried to zero the Moss on paper at twenty five yds so I could then back up to 100 and see how it would group.  I couldn't even  hit paper this close so I moved up to ten yds and got it to hit the left edge of a fairly large target but the windage adjustment wouldn't move the point of impact even when I ran out of adjustment.  It shot a 2 1/2" group at ten yds!  Why do they even make this crap?  If I would have had the tools with me I would have changed out the Nikon from my 264Win that I also had with me, but I didn't think about that Simmons being this bad. 

Offline LHitchcox

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: What the H***?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 08:03:41 AM »
I figure it is the scope, but before you give it all the blame check the rings and bases to be sure the screws are snug. I have seen many loose bases and rings give similar symptoms. I would snug everything up and then try a known good scope if the groups are still crappy.

Leon