Author Topic: Binocular Question  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Binocular Question
« on: November 04, 2007, 05:12:44 AM »
Don't know if this is the right forum, but if its not, someone please point me in the right direction. :o
I wear glasses, bi-focals, actually.  Are there binoculars out there that I will be able to use, or must I remove my glasses to use binoculars?? :o Thanks.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Binocular Question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 06:47:28 AM »
That's me too, just make sure they have longer eye relief, I never remove my glasses to use em. Screw down eye cups are the way to go. ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 04:55:53 PM »
Have a look at the Nikon Monarch's.   They adjust to work with eye glasses. 
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 01:55:42 AM »
Have a look at the Nikon Monarch's.   They adjust to work with eye glasses. 

I agree. I've always had problems when using bi-noc's since I have to wear glasses and now bi-focals. I've checked out most of the brand name's that were in my price range. The Nikon Monarch's were the best for me. These 8x42 have served me well over the past 5 or 6 years while hunting.
A word of caution on buying optic's. What works for someone else may not work for you. I would suggest going to a sporting good store and try them out for yourself. Before you lay out your hard earned cash.
GOOD  LUCK

Offline EsoxLucius

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 04:26:25 AM »
Any binoculars with an eye relief of 17mm and over should be usable for the eyeglasses wearer.  Of course longer is often better.  If you are used to your bifocals, looking through binoculars with them should not be a problem, just look through the top part of your eyeglasses lens.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 01:19:32 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  $249 for the Nikon is a little out of my range, but now that I know what to look for, I can search and wait for just the right deal. ;D

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 01:37:33 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline OLDHandgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 02:17:51 PM »
cookieman
That's what I though too. Almost $300 for a pair of bi-noc's. You've got to be kidding. But after alot of years with not so great bi-noc's and after trying these Nikon Monarach's out at a gun show, I decided to save for these 8x42 Nikon's. You won't regret spending just a little bit more. Now I'm saving for a pair of 10x42 Nikons Monarach's. My wife keeps borrowing my 8x42's.

Offline EsoxLucius

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 05:36:45 AM »
Thanks for all the input.  $249 for the Nikon is a little out of my range, but now that I know what to look for, I can search and wait for just the right deal. ;D

cookiemann
The Olympus Magellan EXWP I 8x42mm can be had for $180, has 19mm of eye relief and has been rated as better than the Nikon Monarch ATB in reviews.
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=113&ref=dealtime&utm_id=9&utm_source=Dealtime&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=OM8X42EXWP&sku=OM8X42EXWP

The Bushnell Trophy is not phase corrected and is not worth the money.  No roof prism without phase correction is.  You would be better off with some of the porro prism binoculars if you cannot spend the $180 for the Olympus Magellan.

Audubon Raptor 8x42mm $120
Bushnell Legend Porro 8x42mm $115
Leupold Mesa 8x42mm $166
Leupold Yosemite 8x30mm $106
Nikon Action Extreme 7x35mm $115
Nikon Action Extreme 8x40mm $125
Pentax PCF WP II 8x40mm $150
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline flyboy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 08:01:47 AM »
Don't know if this is the right forum, but if its not, someone please point me in the right direction. :o
I wear glasses, bi-focals, actually.  Are there binoculars out there that I will be able to use, or must I remove my glasses to use binoculars?? :o Thanks.
cookiemann

Cookieman:

Yes there are. It is a royal PITA to keep taking glasses off and putting them on again, and totally unnecessary.

I wear bifocals, also, and the thing you need to do to is ensure is there is enough eye relief (distance between the binocular eyepiece and your eye) to offset the additional distance between the glasses and your face.   There are plenty of those out there, but you need to test drive a pair or three to see what "speaks"  to you personally.  Rarely other factors will compensate for  a slight shortness of eye relief.  (The Leica 8X32 Trinovids come to mind.)  I can't afford those, either.

I think as a rule, 17-20+ mm eye relief is good for eyeglass wearers, depending upon the glasses.  The manufacturers measure eye relief without glasses, so the real eye relief is somewhat shorter than advertised, for us visually impaired. Accurate, but when you look thru binocs with eyeglasses, if the relief is ~13-14mm, it looks like you are peering through a couple pieces of pipe.

Of course, there is such a thing as too much eye relief. If that happens, its called black out, which can also be caused by poor binoc position. Easy to fix. I put rubber bands behind my adjustable eyepieces, giving me about 1-1.5mm additional stand off. Problem solved.

As mentioned, the Nikon Monarchs are great, and they are at the top of the short list for my next binocular purchase. I may even get a pair for Christmas.  Those Olympus Magellans look to be a real bargain!  Multi and phase coating, and Olympus has been in the optics business since forever.

Offline ScoutMan

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 09:33:49 AM »
Cookiemann,

Go to Eagle Optics and take a look at the Leupold yosemite 6x30. They have ER of 20mm. 6X is no handicap if the glasses are to be used for woods hunting. Under 100 bucks.

I have a pair and wear safety glasses when hunting. So far no propllems.
If you can get closer, get closer
If you can get steadier, get steadier.

A telescope helps you see; it does not help you hold and squeeze.-Jeff Cooper

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 10:02:57 AM »
I wear bifocals and push my glasses up on my forehead when using my binocs.  The Minox 10X42 I use has eye pieces that can be screwed in for glasses use, but I don't think I see as well with the longer eye relief. 

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 07:45:47 AM »
Thanks to ALL of you that have posted here.  I now have enough info on glasses and binoculars to know what to look for and what to watch out for.  Thanks

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"