Author Topic: Drought in Georgia..  (Read 1118 times)

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Drought in Georgia..
« on: November 06, 2007, 04:42:38 AM »
Drought in Georgia
Don't know the source of this official drought information, but:

It's so dry in Georgia that the Baptists are starting to baptize by sprinkling; the Methodists are using wet-wipes, the Presbyterians are giving out rain-checks, and the Catholics are praying for the wine to turn back  into water.

If it were not such a serious situation, this would be funny!

Offline magooch

Re: Drought in Georgia..
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 08:18:55 AM »
Well, they can always go back to using an outhouse, giving each other golden showers and buying bottled drinking water.
Swingem

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 08:26:06 AM »
rockbilly, it's so dry that some catfish have fleas.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 08:43:31 AM »
Well, they can always go back to using an outhouse, giving each other golden showers and buying bottled drinking water.

Well, that's about as unnecessarily tasteless as you can get. But par.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline fornra

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 01:44:31 PM »
 Over here on lake Martin in Bama we've been ask to pull the ticks off the bass before we release them, and I've heard some of the crappie been having ear mites!

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 04:33:25 PM »
the southeast hasn't had the amount of rain that we should have in the past 5 years. deer population went down to what it was in 1985. i believe it is down around a couple hundred thousand give or take.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 03:28:57 PM »

I sure hope you guys get some rain soon !

Fox News says Gov Perdue is going to call a day of prayer for rain..many of us are with you on that..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 03:50:18 PM »
yup i live in sc and my well is getting low. i know a bunch of people around me are lowering theirs or having to drill for more water. a friend of mine depends on this water system he puts in his creek and the creek is dry so now hes going to put it into a shallow pond or hes going to have to drill for water
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 07:52:39 PM »
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 01:12:29 AM »
Thanks for posting the drought monitor. I noticed that where I live (NE AL) we are in the D4 range.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 01:14:23 AM »
I am hoping that this front---today??--will help. It won't be a drought buster but, I hope it helps.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 03:39:42 AM »
The front passed through my area between 2:30 and 3:00am this morning. Had a lot of lightning with it and I got .58 inch of rain which was appreciated, but still need more rain.
AMM
The Mountain

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 05:29:14 AM »
Up here in SC we got less than that. All of it is appreciated though. We just need more!

Rick

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 12:21:36 AM »
I am resurrecting this.
Have the recent fronts helped with this drought situation ??
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 04:42:01 AM »
Updated report.  It will take a lot of moisture for the water table recover.

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/DM_southeast.htm

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

"The Southeastern and Mid-Atlantic States:  A dry and warm week over much of the Southeast has led to the intensification of drought categories in the region. Many locations in the Southeast are on pace to have the all-time driest year on record, with many stations having histories back to the 1880 time period. Tuscaloosa, Alabama, is currently 30.37 inches below normal precipitation for the year.  In Georgia and South Carolina, a categorical shift of all drought categories toward the south and east took place this week. In Florida, continuing impacts due to drought are being experienced throughout the central and southern portions of the state.   Mandatory water restrictions are in place to help conserve water in the region.  D0, D1 and D2 conditions expanded to the north to now include almost the entire Florida peninsula.  D3 conditions were introduced to the north and west of the Lake Okeechobee region this week as well. 

Drought conditions in North Carolina continue to worsen, with many reports of wells going dry in the state.  Many locations are expected to have driest or near driest years on record throughout the state.  Raleigh-Durham had the driest November on record with 0.48 inches, with records back to 1944.  In the Raleigh area, there are only 3 other drier November periods, with the driest coming in 1890 and 1931 with just 0.06 inches recorded on those dates.  Of the 628 water systems being tracked, 173 have mandatory water conservation measures in place, while 162 have voluntary restrictions in place.  D3 and D4 conditions were expanded in North Carolina this week in response to the continued drought conditions and impacts.

Due to a series of storm systems impacting the region, the D0 and D1 conditions in Maryland and Virginia were pushed farther to the south this week." 

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 06:02:46 AM »
I am resurrecting this.
Have the recent fronts helped with this drought situation ??
Blessings

None because last week we were back in the 70's and pushing 80. Then yesterday we got some rain it its cold again. It didn't rain today. It rained some and kinda hard last night. I know I have booked a trip to FLA next June and they are just as bad as we are here. If we don't get any rain and my well goes dry Ill be canceling it and not join my hunting club again due to the drought. Hopefully we will get a bunch of rain or something like snow this winter and this spring we should get a lot of rain as usual.

Rick

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 06:57:23 AM »
I got a whopping 0.7" of rain from the storm yesterday and last night. The previous front had given me 0.2" so that's almost an inch of rain this month. I imagine I'm now only about 36" or so behind on rain for this year. The year is almost over and our normal rain runs about 56" to 60" or so per year on average. I seriously doubt I've had 24" this year. I wish I'd kept up with it as it fell but didn't. I think we've had a total of three rains all year that went over 2" and none over 3". My pond has seen runoff into it only twice since January ended. It's at least 5' below full pool level.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 11:04:18 AM »
My pond is 6ft low and the creek is mostly dry with wet puddles from a couple springs and rain last night. The cow pasture pond is completely dry.

Rick

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 11:49:31 AM »
Dang it all boys---keep the faith, folks are praying.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 03:35:04 PM »
Thanks. I am hoping this spring will make us have more rain than last spring.

Rick

Offline ga41

• http://stevehaygood.com
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 02:48:13 PM »
D4 here. Doesn't look good

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 02:52:21 PM »
They may have to make a D5 if it keeps getting worse.

Rick

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 05:15:56 PM »
When one establishes residency in West Texas they automatically accept "drought" as a way of life.  In the thirty five years I have lived here I have seen the best and the worst, I am sure the same rules apply regardless of where you live.

First, to fully recover from a long term drought the rain will have to be sufficient to saturate the ground back to normal levels,  This is best done by a slow gentle rain with little run off.  Secondly, there needs to be a massive rain with an abundant run off to start the creeks running to eventually fill the ponds/lakes. 

Just a slight rain will provide little or no help to the area, what you need is a massive storm with lots of rainfall to get thing back to normal.  The down side to this, often when you get the massive rains in that area they are accompanied by violent thunderstorms or tornado's.                               

Offline Dee

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 01:18:03 AM »
rockbilly, what you say is the truth. Fortunes have been made and lost according to the weather. We here in North Central Texas, just came off a drought that lasted close to three years (or was it five?). I watched corn come up in the fields to the height of about 3 ft. and then just fall over. I figured the farmers would suffer badly, but apparently not, as the government stepped in, and the new pickups (with leather interior) and the Cadillacs, and Lincolns are just as plentiful.
But that's another thread. Anyway, when it finally started raining again, it kept raining, and Lake Texoma, north of me 20 miles, went over the spillway for the third time in about 60 years.
Things such as the weather, ebb and flow, regardless of our wishes, and we adapt, or not. If one reads the WORD, Ecclesiastes, is not only humbling, but informative on such matters. :)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 05:12:22 PM »
December 25, 2007 update from drought monitor.  Snow here tonight.  I-5 from Cal to Ore. has chain controls, big rigs have lanes blocked.

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 02:37:36 AM »
It has been raining on and off all week. If I am not wrong it is suppose to rain all this weekend. Ill be out hunting some because deer seasons almost gone.  :-\

Rick

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 06:39:47 PM »
    Seems like this prolonged period of rain started just when the governor led in initiating the prayers for rain...

Not a coincidence..God doesn't deal in coincidences..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)