Author Topic: Pet Load for 6.5x55  (Read 729 times)

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Pet Load for 6.5x55
« on: November 06, 2007, 04:31:12 PM »
What is your pet load for a small action Mauser in 6.5x55?

I am looking for input on a good hunting load using a 100 to 140 gr bullet.  The gun will be used for whitetail in fairly open country, and perhaps for some varmint shooting too. 

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
Re: Pet Load for 6.5x55
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 04:52:22 PM »
Check down in this site.  Havn't we been here before? 

MY only powder for 6.5 x 55 is 4350

Offline Siskiyou

Re: Pet Load for 6.5x55
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 07:22:56 AM »
Last spring I set out to develop a standard hunting reload for my 6.5 Swede.  In the past I have had success on deer when using a 6.5 military round.  Just pulled the military bullet and insert a 140 Nosler Partition.  The round set the standard for me.  It puts deer down, and there are no pressure problems.

Another bullet that worked fine in the pulled military bullet senicro was the 120-grain Remington C-L.  It is accurate and shares the ground with the Nosler PT at 100-yards.  I have not used this bullet on game because of the impressive results with the 140-grain bullet and I have not fire it across the Chrony.
When I started my load development I went with two powders that I had on hand, H4831 what is readily available, and WMR (Winchester Magnum Powder.)  I used new Winchester cases, and CCI primers. 

I first fired military ammunition across the Chrony to find the acceptable military standard for that rifle, at 95°, and 6700-foot elevation.  While the elevation replicates my hunting elevation the temperature during hunting season may below freezing.  I find a number of military rounds out of the box and they averaged 2550 fps.

I then started testing the 140-grain C-L with 43.0 grains of H4831 and working up in one grain and the .5-grain increments.  While accuracy was okay at 43.0 grains and the load was mild, real accuracy kicked in at 44.0 grains and continued to improve.  I started matching military velocity at 46.5 grains of H4831. 

The commonly maximum published loaded with H4831 is 47.0 grains.  My notes indicate that I could continue the process to achieve additional velocity but that was the limit of the H4831 loads I had with me.  At this point this is my choice H4831, 140 grain C-L load.

Barrel cooling time extended the day.

My next efforts were focused on WMR and the 140-grain C-L.  WMR is a ball powder with a burn rate similar to H4831 and switches from above H4831 to below H4831 depending on the chart.  It is nice to work with because it is smooth flowing.  And I have had good results with it in the .270 Winchester, achieving better accuracy with some loads then with H4831.

I started at 43.0-grains of WMR using the same lot of Winchester cases, and primers as I did with H4831.  At 43.0 grains the velocity ran below 43.0 grains of H4831.  My Chrony quit providing data because the area fell into the shade.  I continued shooting after firing 44.5-grains of WMR.  At this point the load was providing fine accuracy, and indicators such as bolt lift, cases expansion, and primers indicate that I can continue on.  But a key ingredient, the Chrony was out of business because of the bad light. 

WMR showed great potential in the 6.5 Swede.  But the downside is that it has been dropped from the Winchester line-up.  I have decided to reserve my remaining supply of WMR for the .270 Winchester.  1000-yard competitors shooting the 6.5-284 like WMR.  And because of the lack of it Accurate MagPro has become popular in the 1000-yard matches. 

I also have a number of boxes of 120-grain Remington C-L loaded with H4895 in new cases loaded by my brother.  I do not have the details on primer or the weight of the powder charge.  There are no signs of pressure problems with the load, and it consistently shoots into the same group as the loads generated with modified military ammunition.
At this point I am satisfied with 47.0 grains of H4831 and a 140-grain bullet. I like the sportier M96 Swede, with its 23-inch barrel.  I did switch from the 4x scope it had it, to a 3x9 Banner w/BDC. 

There are a number of members who have more experience with the 6.5 Swede then I, and they provide me with good information.  Bottoms-up to the 6.5 Swede and it’s user group.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.