Author Topic: M1A scope mounts / handloads  (Read 625 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
M1A scope mounts / handloads
« on: November 07, 2007, 04:25:20 AM »
Well I finally got my M1A it's just a standard but I finally got one. I traded in my AR that I built but really looking forward to  some range time with it. I was wondering if anyone knew of a scope mount for it other than the factory mount that was worth a darn. I know B-square makes one but I've had bouts with them before and won't ever use one again. Plus I'm also looking for any pet loads anyone has worked up for one. Any thoughts or info would be great.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: M1A scope mounts / handloads
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:09:06 PM »
I also have An M1A standard and have had good accuracy results using Winchester brass, CCI#34 primers and Alliant Reloader-15 at 43 grains for 150 grain bullets. This is a mid range load according to the Nosler book and other sources. Reminton Corelokt and Bronze points get nearly one inch at 100 yards and drop deer easily. I went with the Springfield scope mount and a Leopold 1.75x6 in VX3. The scope mount is large and expensive. If I were to do it over I would consider a scout scope mount with a eer scope. The SOCOM M1A with the scout scope is what I really want!!!!

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 05:24:41 AM »
Thanks for the info, I mostly plan on using the M1a for long range stuff. I guess I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and get the Springfield mount, I will pay extra if I don't have to worry about constant hassles with it. Do you know a site where you can get decent inexpensive mags? I see them in cheaper then dirt for $10 a mag didn't know if they were any thing worth buying.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:18:22 AM »
I have been buying 20 round mags at gun shows, bought one 30 round mag and it never works right no matter how I tweek it. Let me know what hardware/handloads work for you.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:51:16 AM »
Spend the extra and get the ARMS mount

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 05:22:19 AM »
Well Leo I hope your right I just bought the ARMS mount. I've never spent that much money on a scope mount before course I never spent that much money on a rifle before either.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 12:00:22 PM »
Yea, thats what I thought, so I bought the B-square first, it broke, then I bought the Springfield which was a much better mount but still had issues, would shoot loose and when retightened was not to same zero etc.  Then I got the ARMS and it is much better than the Springfield and using good rings, you can detach the scope and replace it and it will return to zero, handy for switching between a dot sight and a scope.  So look at it this way while the mount was expensive you really saved about 150 dollars.  Let us know how it works out for you.

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 05:14:22 AM »
Well i won't know for another two weeks or so until I get my hands on it. The only scope I have for it right now is a Konus I'd never heard of it but the symbol on it kinda looks like a barska symbol. It's a 10X with mill dot reticule. I bought it for 40 buck mostly only cause it had Leupold quick detach tactical rings on it. A cop had it on his Ar I plan on putting a mark 2 3.5 to ten on it when the funds become available.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 09:19:12 AM »
the mags can be had at 44mag.com   military mags at 24.95 in long storage bags as delivered to military as stated on-line , i ordered some will report if they are good or not .
as far as other less expensive mags ( cheap ) had no luck at all !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !