Author Topic: Return this old warhorse to shooting status?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Trascan

• Trade Count: (0)
Return this old warhorse to shooting status?
« on: November 07, 2007, 07:29:47 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm new to your forums (long time lurker). I have an old Enfield  Mdl 1886 MK1 that I picked up in a Virginia junk shop about 20 years ago. The rear sight is missing and the bore is really dark. Someone started an amature restoration and then left off. The stock is not too bad. I doubt if it has much collector value. I think I gave $15 for it.

I was thinking of having it rebarreled, maybe in 45/70 or .303 British or perhaps even better, .45 LC.

What do you think?
The women are weeping softly in the kitchen and the men are working quietly in the fields, for the legistlature is in session and no mans proprerty is safe;  Danial Webster 1833

Offline Trascan

Re: Return this old warhorse to shooting status?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 07:35:49 AM »
Trying for the image.
The women are weeping softly in the kitchen and the men are working quietly in the fields, for the legistlature is in session and no mans proprerty is safe;  Danial Webster 1833

Offline Trascan

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 07:42:04 AM »
I'm sorry, trying to get the hang of picture posting.  ???

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 07:45:44 AM »
To use the image tag option, you need to post the image address inside the tags like so {img}pic address{/img} but with brackets [ ] instead of { }.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Trascan

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 07:48:43 AM »
I didn't have the Image, just a link, then, suddenly, there they were. Did you do that?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:50:27 AM »
Yes. ;)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline m1aman

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 05:36:18 PM »
i like the idea of 45lc myself. it will be something different and i like that caliber in a rifle. but that is just me.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 11:11:01 PM »
Hmmm that looks like  Mk 1V hump back not a Mk1. but hey it has the long lever so ? need a better photo really.

What is wrong with it?

Offline Trascan

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 04:21:41 AM »
Functionally, nothing that I'm aware of. I have never fired it and ammo: 577-450 or is it, 450-577 Snyder is a tad hard to come by. The rear sight is missing as well.

I think it would be a fun gun to shoot. That's why I'm considering a re-barrel. I have also considered .410 shotgun also. I believe that the British or Indians did that also.

Thanks and I will try to post some better pictures.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 11:48:08 PM »
Heck if that is all the problems than can I suggest getting a replacement rear sight and ammo is not really a problem. There is a forum called :-

"British Militaria Forums"

here :-

http://p223.ezboard.com/bbritishmilitariaforums

that will give you a whole insight to the world of Martini shooting. if you don't want to go ahead with reloading then I sugest that you sell it and get a worse one for altering as they are collectable and worth more un-butchered.

Offline jon f

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 12:35:26 PM »
Please don't butcher it, sell it or restore and shoot it as long lever Martini Henry rifles are hard to come by.
Badges,we don't need no stinking badges.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 09:50:45 AM »
I am not a big fan of British Military long arms, don't dislike them just not particularly interested in them, but I do like all old weapons and other old things as well, I agree with jon f, do not butcher it...clean it, replace missing parts, and  keep it....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley