Author Topic: contender g-2 frame  (Read 554 times)

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
contender g-2 frame
« on: November 08, 2007, 04:04:41 AM »
i was lookin at a new contender g2 frame,and i  immediatedly noticed that boxy lookin lock on it. when unlocked does most of that lbox come off or does it look that awful all the time?
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: contender g-2 frame
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 04:22:53 AM »
Warrior,

The whole lock does come off the frame.  After that it pretty much looks like any other Contender and they work great.  I was just at the range yesterday with my G2 in 7-30 Waters and it was shooting extremely well.  I might have to go back today.

Heavy C

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 06:29:51 AM »
awwww heavy why you gotta go suggest range and shooting.i'm trying to get some work done before i go huntin,but i keep saying one more range trip. have fun shootin today, and thanks for the info. dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 06:58:37 AM »
The old G-2 is loads of fun, I have five frames, and 33 barrels in 33 different calibers.  My problem is deciding which one to shoot.  I use several different calibers to deer hunt, the rest are primarily for plinking.

One thing a collection of contenders does for you, it keep you busy at the reloading bench maintaining ammo to play with.

Offline Heavy C

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 11:21:56 AM »
awwww heavy why you gotta go suggest range and shooting.i'm trying to get some work done before i go huntin,but i keep saying one more range trip. have fun shootin today, and thanks for the info. dan

Because even a bad day at the range, if that is possible, is better than a good day at the office.   :D

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 11:27:42 AM »
i could kick myself ,instead of dropping a bid on it ,i wanted to wait till 3pm then bid.as luck would have it i got busy packin for deer huntin ,and i didn't remember the bid was ending and i missed out by less than 10 minutes.
by the way whats the big difference between a contender and an encore. dan

Offline Heavy C

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 04:01:33 AM »
That's a shame.

The biggest difference is size.  Encores have a beefier frame therefore allowing them to handle the high pressure centerfire cartridges.  Contenders are smaller and therefore have some limitations to the cartridges they can handle; although there is a lot you can shoot through a Contender.  Something else that makes them different is a selector switch on the hammer of the Contender allowes you to switch from centerfire to rimfire.  Encores don't have that, but they came out with specially designed barrels this year to allow Encore owners to shoot rimfire ammunition.  In a nut shell those are the biggest differences between the two.  Both are great and once you buy a Contender you will more than likely be hooked.  I started with on Contender frame and 3 barrels.  Now I have two Contenders, three Encores, and a whole stable of barrels.   ;D

One more thing.  Barrels for the Contender and Encore do not interchange.