Author Topic: Colt  (Read 664 times)

Offline Psurf911

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hit em hard and bring home the bacon
Colt
« on: November 08, 2007, 02:21:30 PM »
I was interested in buying a colt in 32-20. Does anyone own one and what are your thoughts on this cartridge. Buying it just for a fun plinking or small game.

Thanks

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Re: Colt
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 05:33:20 AM »
It's a nice cartridge but has it's drawbacks.  It is chambered in full sized guns and that makes them heavier having a smaller hole in them.  It is capable of taking deer but only under perfect conditions.  If you are hot after a Colt, especially a SAA and you want that caliber, fine, but it is going to cost you!  Another option is to buy a colt clone.  But if you are after a fun, small bore handgun that will do the job well, consider a Ruger Single Six in .32 mag.  You could find one of those used for $250/300, sometimes less.  A Colt would only be a pre-war model and would run a cool thousand MINIMUM but more likely a couple more than that.  A new colt clone will likely cost $500 or more and I have never seen a used 32-20 used for sale.  Also the .32 mag is much easier to reload than the 32-20.  It is all going to depend on just what you are looking for; a shooter you can have fun with, or a real Colt.  That little pony on the side of the gun is very nice but it is pricey!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 08:11:42 AM »
A Colt SAA in 32-20 is collector material. A Ruger Single Action in 30 Carbine will get you where you want to go. Just have to orient you money priorities. The 32-20 is a handloading nightmare to learn on as well. The Carbine round is easier, but quite loud
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline Psurf911

• Hit em hard and bring home the bacon
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 02:34:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Just interested in buying a colt because i always wanted one but dang they are expensive. I might buy a colt in a more available caliber. I already have a ruger and love that six shooter.

Offline Ak.Hiker

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 06:15:36 PM »
Take a look at the USFA line of single actions. From what I hear they are top notch high quality handguns. They have a 32-20 listed on their website.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 03:46:39 AM »
USFA is certainly an option, and while it is an excellent quality gun, it is still not a Colt if that is what you really want.  You should be able to find a SAA shooter in .357 mag around $900.  The .357 would be versitle enough to do what you would like.  Say what you like about other guns that will work or their quality, but there is still an intangeable pride of ownership that goes with a 'real' Colt.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 06:49:42 AM »
Uberti makes the Hartford model in 32/20
It's a copy of the Colt 1873 SAA

Willy