Author Topic: Romney and Christians...  (Read 2082 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Romney and Christians...
« on: November 08, 2007, 03:25:40 PM »

Looks like Mitt Romney is dusting the other Republican candidates in NH and not doing bad in Iowa !

For the Christians in this forum..Will you hesitate or refrain from voting for a Mormon ?

Frankly, I could vote for a Mormon, as long as he has the right view on things political.

We do know that Mormons share many of our values and will likely do the right thing with things like

abortion and "gay" marriage...and would be likely to appoint sensible federal judges .

That is more than any of the Dem/Libs would do..even those that "call themselves" Christian...

Remember , ANYONE can claim to be a Christian..but we can observe the "fruit"..

I guess I would rather have an forthright, values oriented,  Mormon than a lying, phony, pretend "Christian". 
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Romney and Christians...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 03:35:24 PM »
Its all about the way they stand on the issues.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 03:41:37 PM »
As a Christian I'd as soon have a Mormon as a Catholic.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 04:12:19 PM »

What kind of crack is that?  >:( >:( >:(

Despite the issues we have had with some priest who never should have been priest in the first place  ( and yea pastors of other religions have their issues too) I see nothing wrong with the Catholic Religion compared to others. In fact a lot of Christian religions are getting pretty close in their services and views plus a lot of them work together in public services that are several different denominations including Catholics.

Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 04:16:51 PM »
Back to the origional question yea I could support a Morman if they stood up for what I beleive in on the issues. For the most part their views mirror most Christian faiths with a few major beliefs that are completely different but none that is that earth shaking.

Offline Shooter973

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 04:33:56 PM »
Why does this question keep coming up???  Nobody seems to care what religion Hillary is or Rudy or McCain or Obama, why only the Mormon guy? He seems like a descent guy, only been married once, raised 5 sons with out them getting into trouble and a successful business man. There is not a hint of scandal involving him or any of his Family, can the same be said for any of the others? He seems to have his head on pretty straight to me.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 05:24:12 PM »
He's a Yankee......so is Rudy.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 06:50:23 PM »
Lets see, of the last few Bubba's we put into the White House, one doesn't seem to understand what a secure border is, one thought 18% interest rate's and Haitian boat people where just fine, and another tried to re-invent the humidor for cigars. Maybe it's time for a Yankee to give it a try. As long as he isn't a damn Muslim!!  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 07:15:21 PM »

me too

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 08:53:45 PM »

You guys are heartening..

The only reason I asked is I heard someone say " As a Christian, I couldn't vote for a Mormon for President"; so I started wondering if that notion were widespread in the Christian community.
  I am glad to hear so far, that it is not.

The way I look at it, we are electing a new President, not a new Pastor . 

In this present situation, I will take a man that is strong in a faith that expects family values and decency
      over someone who claims to be Christian..but who lives and acts like a devil !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 10:43:30 PM »
"I see nothing wrong with the Catholic Religion compared to others. In fact a lot of Christian religions are getting pretty close in their services and views plus a lot of them work together in public services that are several different denominations including Catholics."

Unfortunately most "christians" agree with you.  We should not be unequally yoked with those who have a doctrine that isn't Bible based at all.  I see a Mormon as no threat to Christians.  I see the Church as the greatest threat.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 10:58:13 PM »
  Hey Guys;

We obviously don't agree on some views as Christians, but the last time we took up the Roman Catholic/ Non Roman Catholic thing, some otherwise nice folks got hurt.

What say we let it go..or at the least, take it to " Misc Relig." discussions..

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 01:15:00 AM »
As I see it.
First---To vote for a non-Christian is not a good thing, and I can't see myownself doing it.
I am dead-set on this thought that America is driving itself into defiance of God and we will be judged because of it.  May be that we already are judged.
We have ignored our true leader and listened too the smooth talk of many that would proclaim theirownselves too be Christian when they have no visible showing of that fact.
We will be held accountable for listening too man's plan as better than God's plan.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 02:01:58 AM »

William;

I can see your concern, but if Romney gets as far as the general election; who will be the real Christian in the race that we can vote for ?

I see no fruits among his competitors on the Democrat side ! Which ones have backed prayer in schools, the teaching of abstinence, homes  school vouchers or

voluntary Bible clubs/classes in school ?

Which one of them have backed Judge Roy Moore in his " Ten Commandments" clash..simply by saying, " they are posted in the US Supreme Court, so why not in his court ?"

Which ones took the side of Terry Schiavo, to keep her from being starved to death ? Which ones have voted against the practice of killing children in abortion and "embryonic stem cell research" ?
  Which one of them watched Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton campaign for office and collect funds in churches..then went to their offices and took the ACLU to task, telling them to stop trying to have tax exempt status removed from other churches ..for much less egregious actions ?

In fact, speaking of the ACLU  some say, Anti-Christian-Liars-Union...which one of them have EVER criticized anything the ACLU has done ? 

Add up the names of who did the Christian thing,.... Is the score STILL zero ?

We have many Christian troops serving in the war zones..In my opinion, each of these Democrats now running (at least the 3 leaders) has each had his/her turn at giving aid & comfort to the enemy by condemning what our troops are doing . Don't forget, it was leading democrats that called our troops terrorists and "cold blooded killers"..!

I have heard no apology or retraction from either Kerry or Murtha, looks like bounty hunter "Dog" Chapman is a better man than either of them !

....And the whole party is guilty..since noone in that nest of vipers has even tried to get them to apologize..or even tried to apologize for them !

Tells a lot about a WHOLE political party and the level of REAL Christianity in it, doesn't it !

Keep in mind, a chattering chipmunk can CLAIM to be a Christian...and some "churches" would probably accept them as members !

All in all, Romney, Giuliani, Hunter, Thompson, Huckabee, McCain or even Ron Paul seem miles ahead of anyone the Demoncrats can seem to conjure up !

William..Sorry if I sounded like I was scolding you..it wasn't meant that way..

Offline powderman

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 03:28:09 AM »
SHOOTER973. I guess because the others mentioned have no religion, at least nothing close to Christian. The choice of a morman or a dumcrap is simple. The morman of course. The dumcraps have no values or morals. POWDERMAN.  ??? ??? ??? ???
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 04:09:06 AM »

The way I look at it, we are electing a new President, not a new Pastor . 

I couldn't agree more.  So to answer your question, yes I would vote for him.  I'm still trying to figure out what was meant by the crack on Catholics.   ???

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 06:42:07 AM »
Yea me too Heavy C and it is kinda odd that some one remarks AS A CHRISTIAN then bashes some one elses faith. Not very Christian as far as I am concerned. As a Catholic I still respect others Christian  faiths I could care less if some one is a of an other faith. Most all faiths anyway are what you were raised as anyway. I do not respect the muslums for what they are and Hinduism and Buddism is not considered Christian. Like I said many Christian faiths these days and many priest and pastors of other faiths work together these days for the good of the community so I really do not think that Catholic crack was deserved.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 10:18:07 AM »
"I see nothing wrong with the Catholic Religion compared to others. In fact a lot of Christian religions are getting pretty close in their services and views plus a lot of them work together in public services that are several different denominations including Catholics."

Unfortunately most "christians" agree with you.  We should not be unequally yoked with those who have a doctrine that isn't Bible based at all.  I see a Mormon as no threat to Christians.  I see the Church as the greatest threat.

Hmmm, I don't believe I've ever seen anyone else especially of a Christian faith yoked - that's a new one on me.  Much like jh45gun I respect all other Christian faiths.  I didn't want to get into an all out discussion about Christianity or hijack Ironglow's thread, but it was difficult to stomach a comment like that coming from a "fellow Christian".

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 12:49:41 PM »
i would gladly vote for a qualified pro-gun Mormon.  But i'll sure as hades not vote for anti-gun Romney.  Ditto for Rudy Baby.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 01:08:33 PM »
As a Christian, isn't it time to "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s."  This is the primary principle of the concept of separation of church and state.  I don't care if Romney is Mormon or whether Obama is Muslim.  I do care about the policies that may be instituted as a result of their religion in government positions.  Romney on his stand on firearms and the 2nd Amendment and Obama with his stand on immigration, Mid East foreign relations and terrorism.  I cannot vote for either at this point due their political positions, not because of their religions.  The moderate Muslim is not a terrorist any more than the moderate Christian.  The current situation in the mid east is about terrorism in all forms and not necessarily about religion.   Let's concentrate on the issues at hand like immigration, taxes, home land security, tort reform, and social issues.  This should be the focus of choosing a President and not about his/her religious belliefs.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline powderman

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 03:11:53 PM »
DELTECS. I don't know about Romneys views on guns, hadn't heard. Obama is another case. Muslims are taught to lie to non believers from birth, he  cannot be trusted, period. I hadn't heard that about Romney. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline deltecs

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 04:23:18 PM »
DELTECS. I don't know about Romneys views on guns, hadn't heard. Obama is another case. Muslims are taught to lie to non believers from birth, he  cannot be trusted, period. I hadn't heard that about Romney. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

I reviewed his stand on issues from his political website.  Noticeably lacking is anything whatsoever on his stand regarding firearms.  One can only look at Mass gun laws, elected Senators and Congressmen, and see what would happen if he supported the 2nd Amendment.  Just for sh*ts and giggles, I reviewed every Demoncrat campaign site too and everyone of them with the exception of Mike Huckabee's, was lacking on their stand of the 2nd Amendment.  Even Alaska's former Senator Gravel had no policy with regard to firearms and I know he's aware of how important this is to most people.  As Romney is from the liberal NE of the country, he would lose lots of votes with a pro position.  What would happen if he became President and needed votes for passage of bills in Congress?  Could he count on Kennedy with a pro firearms stance?  I don't think so.  All the other conservative candidates have made at least some reference to the right of the people to possess, use, and carry firearms.  Why isn't he?  I think I can answer that question.  He is not in favor of individual right to firearms ownership.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline deltecs

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 04:58:26 PM »
Furthermore, I place the highest importance on attacks against the 2nd Amendment by candidates, either by omission or actively opposed.  I personally believe it is the most important Amendment in the Bill of Rights.  None of the other rights could exist without it.  It is the only one that actually lends strength to the people against the excesses of government; by detente if nothing else.  History has proved time and time again that no individual rights or equity in law can exist in a nation without the people having the means to resist effectively by force.  Ideas and concepts are the cause of just laws, but the means must be there to enforce the governments compliance.  This is as true today as it was when the Constitution was written.  No Presidential candidate or other political candidate gets my vote until I know for sure their stand on pro firearms ownership by the individual and people.

Greg
deltecs

Offline Guy Pike

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 05:15:07 PM »
The separation of church and state is fundamental to the success of our nation, unless of course one prefers the way Iran is run. Mr. Romney owns a summer home six miles from me and has done some things on the lake which are totally illegal. Nothing has been done about it. Money talks. Although I am a self confessed Jew, I don't believe that Yeshua ben Yusaf the Nazarene hung on a cross and told those present to take his teachings and form dozens of different sects and then fight it out! There appears to be the usual dearth of lying dirtbags who would be president this time around, as always. Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio, a nation turns it's lonely eyes to you?! Shalom
You can't beat a Cerberus!

Offline Dee

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 06:05:53 PM »

As a Christian, I'd rather have neither the Mormon nor the catholic. Neither would be a good trade off.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 06:36:06 PM »
  Personally, I don't care about the candidate's religion, Christian or otherwise.  I do however believe, that if he does get nominated, he will get crushed due to being Mormon once people realize the tenets of his religion.  I don't see too many bible beaters voting for a guy who believes God was once a man.  Or that by being a good Mormon, you will get your own Godly Kingdom.  Nope, that stuff will kill him.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 07:11:52 PM »

As a Christian, I'd rather have neither the Mormon nor the catholic. Neither would be a good trade off.

Your comment does not sound very Christian like! I know some folks who never step into a church yet their daily actions towards their fellow man is more Christian than some one who sits in the front pew every sunday and then goes out and breaks every comandment in the book and yet calls him or herself a Christian.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 08:49:39 PM »
I don't care if he is a believer of a non believer, just so long as he has the right stand on important issues like gun control, Immagration, gun control, forign polocy, gun control, and not a follower of Big Al Gore.It would also be nice if he was the type of person to take VP Cheney bird hunting.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 12:43:35 AM »
Some thoughts.
I tend too see this "who would you vote for" thought as an either, neither and I hope it doesn't come too that----but, if it does I would cast a vote for the independent---I have done that before.
Catholics may be Christian or they may not be---same as Baptist. Church affiliation has no vote in the Resurrection.
Christian like views are not the tie-breaker in this salvation experience either.
A person who would vote for a candidate on a strictly one issue agenda deserves what he gets.
We are ignoring the most powerful group and concentrating on a pimple on an elephants behind---LET'S CHANGE CONGRESS----
Vote early----Vote often.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 04:49:24 AM »
The ONLY way I'd vote for either a mormon or catholic is if they were running opposite a muslim and those were my only real choices. I consider neither to be Christian personally due to the position and policies of their churches on many issues.

I'm not one to vote third party really as at least at this time it really is still a two party system and one or the other of the two major parties is gonna win at the national level. Locally and at state level independents or third parties do at times have a chance and at that level if I felt they were viable to win I might vote for an independent or third party candidate. But at the national level such a vote is almost always gonna help the democraps and I don't think I could EVER vote democrap again and haven't in perhaps 30 years.

I would do anything within my power to avoid a muslim in office even to the point of voting for a mormon or catholic but that's the ONLY way I'd do so. But in all honesty these days I don't really think there is a dime's worth of difference between any of the politicians or at least well over 90% of them. They all should be tossed out on their butts and new ones who respect the Constitution put in to replace them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!