Author Topic: First deer ever with a ML, 8 point with CVA OE .50  (Read 594 times)

Offline LeadSled1

• Trade Count: (0)
First deer ever with a ML, 8 point with CVA OE .50
« on: November 09, 2007, 03:58:39 AM »
My son and I did our first ever ML about 2 weeks ago. We only had 3 days to take a buck as the rest of the early ML season is antlerless only. Well, with 10 minutes left of light on the last day my son rattled and then poked me with his finger (our sign to lean over and whisper) and asked if we were heading back to the house. I told him to hold on 10 more minutes as this is the best time for a buck to come through and it was the last day. As I lifted my head back up to look over the woods this huge tall buck appeared out of nowhere 30 yards out. He starts doing a fresh scrape so I raise the ML and cock it. He looked like he had a real small rack, but when he rubbed his head on a branch he stopped and looked around and I could then see a large antler. It seemed odd. I continued to watch him until he finishes urinating and starts to walk off. I let him walk about 5 yards from the scrape and dropped him as it looked like he was going to jump the creek and I would have lost him. He didn't take one step after the shot. .50 with 100g of Triple 7 and 295 power belt. This is my first harvest ever with a ML, it was a blast. I was trying to wave the smoke out of the way so I could see what happened. That 15 seconds felt like 2 minutes.

Open factory sites worked well, mine seems to shoot low though as I have it maxed out on elevation to where the site is almost off the base completely and it is centered at 50 yards. Anyone one have any input on what to do to resolve that? I would also like to replace the front fiber optic with a yellow or green one as the red one loses illumination way earlier than the rear green fibers. Otherwise I am super happy with the gun.

205lbs dressed, 8 point. Odd rack, seems as if he took a hit to his left side at some point due to the right antler. 2 brow tines on that side with a high V. We had a heck of a time getting him into the truck.  :o Biggest buck of my life so far, small 5 point last year with a rifle and a large 5 (missing brow tine) this year with bow. I am looking forward to the late ML season in December.

I also got the .270 barrel that I will be trying out the weekend after Thanksgiving.

I had some better pics set up but the digital camera flaked out on them due to the dark. These are the ones taken by the mother-in-law with her regular camera.

Jess

Offline mangulator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: First deer ever with a ML, 8 point with CVA OE .50
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 04:10:10 AM »
Congratulations on your buck! Nice shooting! Now you will be hooked on muzzleloader hunting... ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: First deer ever with a ML, 8 point with CVA OE .50
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 05:31:36 AM »
Congrats!! Great story, thanks for sharing!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain