Author Topic: Curious about kid's first guns  (Read 1854 times)

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
Curious about kid's first guns
« on: November 09, 2007, 05:50:38 AM »
I was at Gander Mountain the other day and the place was busy, busy, busy with guys buying their kids and wives various kinds of single shot rifles. Some of the kids looked to be 8 or 9 years old.  And the calibres of choice was (you guessed it) .223 and .243.
It's too close to the season opening for the kids to do too much practicing and I wondered about the fathers putting their kids in the woods with a marginal cartridge to begin with and then further handicapping them with a single shot rifle.  Then it dawned on me that the fathers might be putting their kids (and wives) in the woods with something in their hands so they, the fathers, could fill their tags. 
What do you guys think? 

Offline Dillohide

• Contributor
Re: Curious about kid's first guns
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 06:13:12 AM »
Nothing wrong with buying your kid a single shot rifle. I've got half a dozen Handi rifles I bought for myself, not to mention extra barrels. They are great American made deer rifles. Short and easy to maneuver making them perfect for a kid ... and adult. Easy safety because if the hammer isn't pulled back it won't fire. Don't think a .243 is a marginal deer caliber but I do agree that a .223 is. Teaching a young deer hunter the value of the first shot is important.

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 08:22:12 AM »
My personal opinion is that cheap single shot, minimal caliber guns are a crappy choice for first time hunters. Besides typically having terrible triggers they can be cumbersome to operate for small hands. After going thru the CF varmint rifle stage with my son using various used rifles I bought for cheap.  I bought him a .260 Remington LSS Mtn. It will be an excellent deer/antelope rifle for the rest of his life. Great trigger, great scope, light weight perfect chambering.
When I go into the woods I can assure you I am not sending my son in with substandard equipment....his rivals mine all day.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 09:18:07 AM »
The open hammer single shot is a great gun to start with.
The small bores are purely for less recoil.
A lot of the guys have started getting a 30/30 or 357mag instead.
Harder hitting and more blood trail.
Both can be gotten in lower recoil loads for practice too.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 09:38:49 AM »
maybe the Govt. has a conspiracy going to make fathers buy these single shot rifles ! just kidding !
i started with a single shot 410 , hunted everything from quail to turkey to deer !
after going thru that my sons started with a cut down 870 in 12 ga. and both killed deer , when they moved up to a rifle one used an SKS and the other a BAR . and killed deer ! I don't shoot as many deer today because they fill the freezer up first !
as to your ? yep I'm sure some do as you say , i hunted with a guy who would bring a kid or two each season just so he could use their doe tag , bet that left a good taste in a future hunters mouth !
I would tell ya what we call these guys but this is a family site !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 12:40:28 PM »
Single shot rifle are great for kids to start out with safe and make them try harder at shooting good only have 1 shot at the animal if they cant shoot good enough with a single shot and put the deer down on the first shot and  need a back up shot like a bolt gun maybe its to Early for them to be in the woods, and as far as putting the kids and wife in the woods for the dad to shoot i dont think there is any kid that if he has shot a few times and a deer comes  by close enough his not going to try to fill his own tag i bet he tries and for the wife i bet she tries to and if they dont and need of the meat there is nothing wrong with dad takeing the deer for them
1 shot 1 kill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 12:52:33 PM »
Yup, this close to the season, I'd be inclined to think that dad's goal was to fill another tag or two, just like buying one for the wife who doesn't really hunt. Any father that wants to start a youth that young will be responsible and start shooting whatever he chooses a lot sooner than this time of year.

I'm all for an inexpensive single shot break barrel or hammer gun for a starter firearm, my first centerfire was an H&R 12ga when I was 8yrs old, my oldest son started with a M94 30-30 cuz his grandpa(my FIL) gave it to him when he was 9, and my youngest had a 20gr Pardner single shot when he first started shooting. I don't see a darned thing wrong with em, at that age they need supervision no matter what you start them on, might as well start em with the idea that one shot is all ya need, so make the shot count. ;) Many state sponsored Hunter Education programs used NEF Sportsters exclusively for their hands on training.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,129778.msg1098476167.html#msg1098476167

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,129279.msg1098472474.html#msg1098472474

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,129270.msg1098472423.html#msg1098472423

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,129121.msg1098471385.html#msg1098471385
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 06:47:45 AM »
I'll take the pump add a longer plug to limit cap. works great and don't have to worry about hammer slipping ! and as kid shows skill he has a good gun that he knows how to operate !

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 07:38:56 AM »
I guess I'd like to think that dad's really aren't like that. What I think is happening is many dad's listen to a whole lot of bad advice. But are really trying to get their kid something he/she can shoot comfortably, safely and powerful enough for deer. The upper echelons of intelligence in the shooting world have dismissed cartridges such as the 250-3000 as less than desirable. The 260 should be a great starting place but sounds like it'll take a dirt nap! Those of us really in the know want the whole world to know that the Savage, especially the 110, is a POS and there fore a waste of money. Remember the Mossberg 800? don't ever remember reading anything good about it but, people I know that had them liked them.

So whats left for these people that actually buy into the crapola being fed them? Inexpensive guns in inadequate cartridges. I can't think of any rifle sold in this country that is not well made from a safety stand point. But there are many I wouldn't own for one reason or another. I also think that cartridges like the 250-3000, 257 Roberts and 260 Rem fill a much more needed nich than any of the new magnum's out or the 204!
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline bhod1

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 11:33:31 AM »
Unfortunately, there are more dads like that than you think.

I hope you are being sarcastic about the Savage and the 110.  But the 260 is a great low recoil deer cartridge, should be far more popular than it is.

"Inexpensive guns in inadequate cartridges"  I own 3 NEF 243s, 1 each for my wife and 2 kids. They're not pretty, nor do they have the 'right' name stamped into them.   They just kill deer.

By the way there are guns out there that are not safe.  A gentleman at the range bought a brand new Rem 308 pump that would do no better than 5" at 100yds. He passed it to his son, the son took a hold of it by the barrel, and the barrel fell off right in his hands. They were real lucky no-one was killed.

Winchester went out of business- for a reason. If we are lucky remington will be right behind them, they are absolute garbage.

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »
Yes about the 110. I don't think I'd call any Rem or Win unsafe. That something slipped thru the cracks, happens all the time. I doubt winchester went out of business over unsafe guns.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 01:02:30 AM »
Winchester didn't go out of business they just stopped producing guns in a factory that had over priced its labor for the quality they turned out !

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 06:50:57 AM »

I bought a NIB Remington CDL the other day.  In 7-08. I'd  given my son my Classic in 7-08 and that cut me back to two others so I was getting kinda nervous. I cleaned it and mounted a 2x7 Leuy on it in those ugly old Weaver rings.  The scope had been centered. 
When I set it up on the bench, I peeped thru the bore and then the scope and it looked like I might be on the overall target at 100 yards so I thought I'd give it a try and then adjust.  Using some 7-08 ammo I'd loaded up for a different rifle, I fired 5 rounds.  The first 5 rounds thru this new rifle formed a roundish group 1.25" accross that was 2" high and 1" to the right of center. In other words, if I had been shooting at a deer, he would have been dead, dead, dead!
Not too shabby for garbage. 
Had the stupid people with the "brand new Rem 308 pump gun" (must be a new model I ain't heard of) had of cleaned the rifle when they took it out of the box or even went thru the normal manipulations to make sure every thing is okay, I think they would have discovered the loose barrel.  Seems like just last week I read about a fellow that had the barrel of his Sako come off whilst in a hunting blind.  Must be an epidemic.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 09:20:28 AM »
I started my daughter on black powder. A 45 caliber CVA Kentucky Rifle.  She was resting it on the bench and shooting it when she was eight.  I would load it for her.  She liked the black powder mystique and got really good with that rifle before she got center fire.  I wanted her to know that you had to kill quickly with the first shot or you didn't take the shot.  Young people on their own in the woods tend to take extra "Hail Mary" shots without checking the background.  I prefer my kids have a rifle that they at least have to take off their shoulder before their second shot. It gives them a chance to see what is happening down range before they pull the trigger.

Black powder also teaches kids the items needed for ammunition and is the first step towards them some day reloading their own.

Another great rifle for youngsters are some of the lighter 30-40 Krags.  They might have a rainbow arc with the 220 grain bullets, but deer or elk hit out to 200 yds with the 220 bullet seldom get back up.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline .54

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 01:50:33 PM »

There's nothing wrong with starting a kid with a single shot rifle or shotgun. My dad started me squirrel hunting with a single shot .22. Taught me to make each shot count. My youngest took his first buck with a single shot side lock muzzle loader.
I think a lot of it may be financially that a lot of fathers just can't afford to buy high end guns for their kids. I had 3 sons and what I did for one I felt obligated to do for the others so buying rifles and shotguns for them could get expensive. They each got Remington 870's (we slug hunt in Ohio)...and they still hunt with them today. 

Offline pigguy

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 02:13:57 PM »
I bought my son a handi in 243 and he took his 1st deer on the 1st day hunting at 10 yrs old.Then my ex step son used it for his 1st deer on his 1st hunt,he was 9.This saturday is opening day of modern gun here in oklahoma,and I am taking my 11 year old neice on her 1st deer hunt.Hope to keep the streak going!One thing is for sure,this "little" gun is up to the task,in spades.simple to operate ,low recoil,extremely accurate and have a hard time keeping it out of ADULT hands.Its just a blast to shoot,even if it has a low pedigree

Offline whiskey101

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
Some men may have been buying rifles to add kids and wives tags to fill.

However, I think that most hunting Americans spend far to little effort considering range time and proficiency before going hunting. Personally, I have hunted with people that have bought a gun, put a scope on and hunted without firing a full box of shells through it.  I have hunted with a guy that only bore sighted the scope. I have hunted with guys that own a bow and never practice. They pull the bow out and go hunting. Then they don't understand why the miss or worse yet why they wounded a deer and then couldn't find it. I makes me angry and I have had to choose to not hunt with friends because of this lack of concern.

I think many men were handed a gun and put in a tree and that is how they learned to deer hunt. This is how they will teach their son's to deer hunt. Maybe they bought a cheap BB gun at Wally world and expected their kid to learn to be a marksman with it. I see it all the time at the range this time of year. Guys that have not been at the range all year long. They show up a week or two before season to "sight in" their new gun. They shoot from a bench and fire less than 10 shots..."Look I got her sighted in and got enough shells to get me though the season."

I think that each year it gets worse. Just fewer and fewer skilled hunters passing along the skills they were taught. More and more guys read about hunting in magazines from blow hard writers and believe they have all the answers to be the best trophy hunter around. I was taught about hunting from a hunter. I was not taught enough. I had to spend time in the woods learning things on my own that I should have been taught.  I have read the magazines and learned things too. I have listened to older hunters. But most importantly I have spent time in the woods. All the teaching, reading and listening can not replace spending time in the woods watching deer from dawn to dusk. Ok enough ranting. Most of us are gun guys. We enjoy shooting with or without hunting. We are also hunters, so we enjoy getting ready for hunting season. Going to the range, tweaking guns and loads. Researching which round/bullet/scope/gun is best for what we want. We enjoy it. Too many others are just in a hurry to get to deer season so they can get out of the house, drink beer with buddies and hopefully kill a deer. Not that I don't look forward to those things too.
"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 03:17:10 AM »
lets face it some hunters are like Tiger Woods , and others are like the guy who plays PUTT-PUTT at the beach every few years !
That's what ya get in the land of the free !

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 03:53:03 AM »
I feel that one of the basic rules of marksmanship is first shot kills. If one can't hit the target the first time what makes one think he can recover from recoil, regain a sight picture, squeeze off a better shot the second time at possibly spooked game.

The discipline learned with a single shot rifle will stand a youngster well.

As far as calibers, rifles such a handis can be purchased with multiple barrels. I would be great to get a lighter caliber for chucks,etc and practice to reduce the possibility of recoil and muzzle blast flinches.

Ig the gun is fun to shoot and accurate the youngster will practice and become a good shot.
MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 04:06:14 AM »
the single shot theory is good but any gun can be loaded with only one round ! and some may wish ( as I did ) to have a gun that can be used for life , with multi shot ability . I started with a single shot , have hunted with a Ruger # 1 and a TC encore both . To be honest I like a rifle that has more than one shot , we hunt where more than one deer can be taken in the same day , at the same time . Also the bolt gun and in some cases the pump and auto all have their good points and in most cases are heavier and cut down on kick more than a light single shot ( had a 300WM in the encore ).

Offline 41 mag

• Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 12:09:03 AM »
Well I am not concerned about filling tags nearly as much as getting the kids out in the woods and off the couch. I started my daughter out when she was barely 6 shooting a 22 pump and shortly afterwords moved her up to a pump .243 Rem. She hardly weighed in at 60# about this time, and the rifle was a bit bulky but she had the desire to work through it. Three years later a buck finially cooperated, and presented her with a shot, she used my 25-06 to make a one shot kill at 185yds. Funny thing is the .243 was there she just didn't want to use it.

The grandson told me early last year that he wanted to shoot his own boar hog. He was 4 1/2 at the time, and serious as a heart attack about it. I started working on something for him to use and ended up starting him out on paper with a M1 Carbine as I had a limited choice onhand of short stocked rifles. While we were there I also let him shoot 3 reduced loads from my Ruger Compact in .308 which he didn't group nearly as good as the M1 which left a lot to be desired. However after several times with both he decided that he really liked the .308 and was doing really good with it. Opening weekend of last deer season he dropped his first boar hog using the .308 and has more or less laid claim to it.

This year he has gone through almost 2# of powder shooting 38gr loads with 125gr bullets. The velocity is only about 2200 fps but it still works great out to the 50 -75yd limit I keep him in, and he can easily group them around 1" at 100yds. So far he has taken a yote a couple weeks back at just over 150 yds with it, then missed a small buck at 75. I have a hard time finding fault as he was definately excited about it and so was I, and I can honestly say it happens to even the most seasoned hunters.

Before the season started I put up multiple full sized targets at various ranges in the area we hunt, and from the same rest he used for hunting, had him shoot at each one as I called them out so he would get used to the varied distances and different angles the deer were looking. At first it was all different than the one target which had an orange spot to shot at, but after the first round at each and some explaining of where and why to shoot them, he put it together and was making kill shots from then on out.

I am a firm believer in anyone who hunts being able to shoot the rifle they intend to hunt with no matter the caliber. IF they cannot shoot at least a 2" group they haven't shot enough in my opinion. This is just the way I was raised and it has seemed to prove itself correct through the years. The less variables there are in a load and accuracy of the shooter, the more effective they are in the field under moat any circumstances. As for the boy and his miss, we only had a few seconds to get him set up and ready for the shot before the buck would have been out of sight. Add this to his and my excitement and well we blew it. As mentioned, it happens, and it was a clean miss as the same deer was within 15yds of the daughter the very next weekend with no signs of a hit anywhere.

As to the best caliber to start out with, there are several considerations which to look at. First is the physical size of the shooter, lenght of pull, game intended to be taken. Once these are satisfied then there really isn't any reason that any centerfire from a .243 up could not be a good choice in today's world of recoil reducing aids. There are slim pads which can be worn over or under coats and shirts, muzzle brakes even though noisy, reduce felt recoil by about half or more, various calibers which can now be had in factory reduced loads not to mention handloaded, as well as a whole list of calibers which if shot in a properly fitted rifle do not produce a lot of felt recoil. I believe that if more folks would spend a little time getting a rifle to fit either by buying it that way, or having the stock cut or lengthened they would be much better off. It's hard to find a rifle which will fit a youth properly without having it a bit long generally, but those who look into it will find they will shoot them much better and the recoil of even full loads in the mid sized cases will not be too offensive. As to the .223 which was mentioned, with today's bullets and keeping the range down to 50 or 75yds this caliber can be very effective on deer sized game with proper shot placement. There are a couple of factory loads which do a very out of proportion job considering the size of the bullets. Would I choose it over something else, no, but I have used my Contender pistol in .223 to dispatch some decent sized hogs out to 100yds using bullets which were not designed for such an animal. However with the proper shot they hit the dirt with authority. Here again the key is shot placement and not overall knock down power. This same round using a properly designed bullet is very capable of dropping deer sized game when they are hit properly, which brings us back to range time.

Me I spent about an hour and a half at the range before opening weekend shooting two different rifles. Does this make me a weekend hunter, due to the time spent, or does the previous 18 - 20 weekends of firing multiple rounds from various rifles out to 500yds get to be added into this time? Sometimes I think we all see someone shooting only a handfull of bullets, even through a new rifle and figure them to be one weekend hunters. This might be the case a lot of times but not always. As to a single shot rifle, most folks I know who are great hunters and have years of experience rarely get the time for a second shot if the game runs on the first. Most of the hunting is close quarters in the woods and the first shot must generally count. Even in some areas with feed pens set up, once a deer is hit it generally leaves the area, and hitting it on the run would not be a reasonable thing to expect a youth or new hunter to accomplish.

Sorry for the long post but just some things I saw in this that were either based on personal opinion or lack of actual facts. Even those kids or wives who are getting new rifles a week before the season opens, might have been shooting for months before, and even using what some consider a marginal caliber might be better hunters and shooters than those using something a whole lot bigger.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 12:45:31 AM »
I It's too close to the season opening for the kids to do too much practicing 
What do you guys think? 

I say wait until next year! Along with accuracy practice comes safe gun handling practice.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 03:06:06 AM »
if ya keep putting it off it will never happen ! spend a day at the range if he can make the shot put him on a stand and sit with him ! he can learn the gun handling with you by his side anywhere you choose to teach it !
the first couple years my sons hunted i sat with them , most times with out a gun ! its all about learning a kid to hunt or getting a buck yourself ! you choose one way or the other , today i don't even have to be on the hunt if one of my kids get a deer i feel in some small way i got part of that deer also cause i taught them how , the right way !

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 04:59:21 AM »
I will add an Amen to that.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline ccoker

• A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
I started my son at 7 with his own rifle, a CZ 22 socut
spent a lot of range time with him shooting it

when he turned 9 I bought him a NEF 223 and a 2x7 scope, a lot of range time and he got his first deer, a spike at about a 100 yards, perfect shot, 64g federal sp did a fantastic job

I haven't been thrilled with the gun though as it really likes lighter bullets and the casings can get stuck sometimes..

this year he is shooting my old Sako 243 and I removed the 4-12 scope and put a 2-7 on it and shorted the stock for him
he's been practicing with it and will do so a few more times before the first hunt the 1st weekend of Dec

he hunts with me in the stand and we do a lot of talking, it's a great bonding experience
he reads a book his uncle gave him on whitetail hunting and we watch a lot of deer, getting him to guage distances and to watch and learn behavior

it's great stuff man!
here's a pic of him with a 10pt I shot a few years ago.. he did a lot of time in the stands before he got his first deer...

Offline giturgun

• Avid Poster
  • Me land yacht
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2007, 12:26:08 PM »
I started one out this year, his name is Harley. His dad don't hunt , and asked if I would take him on a trip. Opening day of the Tn. youth hunt we started to see deer at a little after daylight . I didn't let him shoot till 10 had walked by . He killed a big doe , first hunt first shot at a live animal, But not the first deer to walk by. I wanted him to learn patience , bullet placement, and it seems like he did.

I started him out with my cz 452 2500 , then went to the .223 handi , then my 22-250 savage bench rifle with the 28 inch 1-9 twist Pac - nor 250 neck . He finished up with my 1896 Sweed in 6.5 . He was taught to shoot . No foolishness and no popping off rounds for no reason. I made him learn to shoot accurate first . How accurate can he shoot , Groups with the 22-250 were around 3/8 inch at 100 yds , the 6.5 averaged 1.5 inch . the .22 lr was one holing at 40 yds .

Offline sportsman223

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2007, 03:09:44 PM »
 DEER HUNTING - Its not about filling the freezer or how big the Buck is.
  Its about being there at first light on a frosty morning when the woods comes alive.
Teaching young ones outdoor skills,Respect for the woods and for the animals that might be harvested
Responsibility for a clean and humane harvest,and maybe some sorrow for the taking of that creature God created with the understanding that he put them on this earth for that reason
Patients for the right shot with the understanding that if it does not come you do not shot
Most important thing spending time with them teaching them right from wrong.understanding life and death
That way DEER HUNTING is something they can carry with them there whole life
Mine will hunt with a single shot G2 ONE GOOD SHOT = RESPONSIBILITY  When they say they are ready and I say they are ready = MY RESPONSIBILITY  = ONE GOOD KID

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 01:48:18 AM »
It has often been said that hunting is a way to carry on a tradition , keep alive a way of life or to extend mans rule over the beast !
To fill the freezer is in fact the reason many hunt ! through out history the " filling of the freezer " related to life and death of the hunter and often his family , clan or tribe ! We owe the critter a quick death for sure , in fact it is rewarding to be in the Fall woods !
The many sights , smells and locations we enjoy hunting can be experienced while not hunting , it is my belief that trying to remove killing or lessen it with regard to hunting only regulates it to a negative aspect and fosters a feeling of guilt on a hunters heart ! it also creates a opportunity for anti hunters to attack us !
when hunting the goal is in fact to fill the freezer if not is it little more than a social gathering ?
how will future hunters be able to justify the taking ( killing ) of game if we dilute the purpose with fluff ?

Offline ccoker

• A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 11:41:43 AM »
DEER HUNTING - Its not about filling the freezer or how big the Buck is.
  Its about being there at first light on a frosty morning when the woods comes alive.
Teaching young ones outdoor skills,Respect for the woods and for the animals that might be harvested
Responsibility for a clean and humane harvest,and maybe some sorrow for the taking of that creature God created with the understanding that he put them on this earth for that reason
Patients for the right shot with the understanding that if it does not come you do not shot
Most important thing spending time with them teaching them right from wrong.understanding life and death
That way DEER HUNTING is something they can carry with them there whole life
Mine will hunt with a single shot G2 ONE GOOD SHOT = RESPONSIBILITY  When they say they are ready and I say they are ready = MY RESPONSIBILITY  = ONE GOOD KID

couldn't agree more...
I was taking my oldest yesterday to the range for more practice time before this week's hunt and this weekend came up and he said:

"I like hunting, but I really like being with my dad"

Offline sportsman223

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2007, 02:59:27 PM »
I understand your point,and I put meat in the freezer as well. But with the way things are today if filling the freezer is the goal with the price of.
Guns ,Ammo,stands,camo clothing, licenses , Land-leases, all the gadjects time = $ spent in the woods scouting, hunting, tracking, processing
The supermarket or the raising of beef & swine seems to be a whole lot cheaper per pound.
 As far as the killing of game at a very young age,I think there might be some sorrow if there is that's why I said with the understanding that's why God put them on this earth thats not trying to lesson it or remove it just trying to explain the Hunters Heart. I am talking about kids not adults