Author Topic: 204 Ruger H&R Ultra Varmint  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
204 Ruger H&R Ultra Varmint
« on: November 09, 2007, 06:02:56 AM »
 Hey guys ,

Well i thought i had recalled a local gun shop owner (and friend) having a ultra varmint on his shelf , and sure enough he still has it there where it was about a year ago ...Was wondering how effective the little 204 is on various game .. while researching ammo at Midways i read a few reviews and one review on the 32 grn Hornady round i read that the fellow was very happy with it and was looking forward to using it to hog hunt !   Now im hoping he is reffering to ground hog hunting and not feral hog hunting  ..... but i thought with all the experience here  (not doing shabby on the experience side myself  heh)
That i would pose this question to you all  .... my understanding of this round is that it is a long range critter getter (P-dogs , foxes ,yotes etc.) ..... Am i mistaken here .... is there something Uber special about this rocket round that one would use it on Hogs  , While im sure a well placed shot with a small (really small) bore round moving at 3600 to 3800 Fps can be lethal  ... ok ok i have no doubt that it is lethal... does this round hold up to some of the others that are used for medium size game out there like the 220 swift,22-250 ,223 etc ??

just a curious and rather long question heh ... please forgive im fresh off work  so i tend to ramble while im tired

one other thought . ... does anyone own one of those great looking ultra varmints in 204 and what are your impressions of it and what grain wieghts did you find it liked best ..... I am considering this 204 for another action  .... love the stocks on the varmint and survivor , and it really helps its a friends shop  heh

Anyhow sleep time , thnx for your thoughts in advance

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: 204 Ruger H&R Ultra Varmint
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 09:42:17 AM »
I've got mine set up with survivor stocks and love it I'm shooting Midway house brand bullets "34g Dogtown" very cheap and work perfect for my gun what I like about the 204 is you don't get the muzzle jump and you can see the PD explode at 300 plus yards I think the review deal at midway is a canned format and it would be easy to put the wrong cal into your review I can't see anyone using it for real hogs on purpose.Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 11:33:32 AM »
Very good varmint round.
Also works fine for predators.
Shoots very fast and flat but not a lot of energy for bigger game.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »
Here's a couple pages of previous discussion on the 204 vs 22-250. ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,122583.msg1098420957.html#msg1098420957
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 12:12:19 PM »
I know you can kill a hog with a 22 rim fire. My dad killed cattle and hogs with 22 shorts for butchering. Right into the brain from point blank range. Does that mean I want to hunt hogs with  a 22 rim fire...no way! The 204 is a varmint/predator round. It is suburb at this. Any thing beyond that is fool hearty, dangerous and just not humane for the animals, hogs included. Can you kill them with a 204? No doubt, if the shot is placed perfectly and you are using a proper bullet. But they really, really should not be used for it. A 224 caliber is at the very edge of being humane, I would not use those for hogs either. They are a tough bunch, much more tough to bring down than a deer. Hogs are constructed differently than deer, there is a lot more stuff to go through to reach their vitals.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »
A 45-70 sounds about right for hogs. A 350 gr. Hornady JFN or a big 500 gr cast lead bullet. Never shot one but read about them and 'armor plated' compared to a deer. A 204 would be a bad choice for such shooting. IMHO

Mc

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 01:23:27 PM »
As I suspected guys,

great intel on that round .... yeah i know those hogs to be tuff as nails ..took one with my Uberti golden boy 45 lc in Jan.
  the 225 grn round went through the shoulder and took both lung and cleaved the upper part of the heart , thought it didnt exit ,
 the fully expanded winchester was retrieved from the far side rib cage .....

as was mentioned the 223 is questionable on hogs , i agree    ...I have read a few good things about using it with a heavier bullet but something tells me my need for proper bullet usuage will prevail over my "hmmmm work this work " side lol

great responses guys  ...Well im off to work , you all have a good friday evening

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason