Author Topic: Vented Rib Question...  (Read 613 times)

Offline chad1043

• Trade Count: (3)
Vented Rib Question...
« on: November 09, 2007, 12:22:24 PM »
What is the purpose of a vented rib I'm looking at getting a shotgun barrel for my Handi and will probably be using it for birds and rabbits.. There is the vented ribbed 12 and 20 with screw in chokee or the modded choke 20 and 28... Just wondering if the vented rib serves a purpose...

Chad

Offline OHHJIMMY

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Vented Rib Question...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 01:29:24 PM »
Supposedly it provides a better sight plane than the plain barrel. I don't know how true that is for a hunting gun. I thought I might like one of the Topper Classic Deluxe's in 20 ga. because they look so neat, but I read somewhere on here that the vent rib is plastic! Auggghhhh!

Offline fishhawk357

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 12:19:41 PM »
Hello, I have one of those Topper deluxe with the vent rib and mine appears to have an aluminum rib. I already nicked it and can see shiny aluminum. Plastic would stay black no matter how deep the gouge was. I also screwed on one of those hi-viz beads up front and screwed it down TIGHT and it did not strip. If it were plastic it surely would have. To answer your question though, I believe the rib aids in sighting. I do prefer it to a plain barrel and it does seem to help me. Just my .02 cents.

Offline OHHJIMMY

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 12:32:38 PM »
Fishhawk, thanks for your reply. I could live with an aluminum rib, but not a plastic one. I really hate the plastic trigger guard. I might be still interested in a 20 ga with a vent rib. I wish they would offer another grade of these in maybe the $400 to $500 range with Walnut stocks, all metal, maybe polished barrels, 3# trigger, etc. for those who want them. I think there's a market for such a thing, based on some of the posts on here.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 02:18:10 PM »
OHHJIMMY, there was a fairly recent post here about a company that was offering steel and brass trigger guards and forearm spacers and several members were planning to order some. I had posted and had hoped to get some feedback from members here after they received theirs before ordering some. The last I remember members were having trouble getting in touch with the company. Perhaps Quick could locate the info for you...<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 02:21:49 PM »
Oops!!! Never mind, I just saw a post by Qucik about those items from that company in the centerfire section, it's about trigger guards and forearm spacers, it seems the company may not be in operation?
....<><....:(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 02:51:27 AM »
I wish someone would start making these brass, aluminum or steel trigger guards and spacers. I know nothing really about how to do such a thing or I would. The demand might not be that big but I'm sure they'd sell a few.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 04:05:47 AM »
Our fine member BANG OW, who is well versed and experienced in these matters was at one time contemplating such an attempt. He currently has a trigger unit of mine which he may use as a model to produce a metal model of the trigger "frame". He has a forearm spacer of his own to duplicate if things work out. He had a big surge at work with several projects coming to fruition at once so this project has been put on hold for a while. It may or may not work out, only time will tell....<><....:)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 02:14:36 PM »
He's not going to get rich from it but he'll definitely sell a few to the folks here.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun