Author Topic: Canadian Cannon Company  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Canadian Cannon Company
« on: November 09, 2007, 03:47:11 PM »
 ;D I cant say enough good things about Bill from Canadian Cannon Co. Very Professional.
First off I ordered a second swivel yoke from Dominick ..., It was perfect !
I have been looking at it all summer and fall in my office ., All of my "Black-Powder dreams are sort of a work in progress..,You guys all know what it is., you probably feel the same way ., sort of like a little kid !!!
Anyway today it came., and..,  it was everything I'd hoped it would be. I will post more on it later and try to get the tiller on it., and get it out into the sun-shine. I live in Washington so ., their really isnt much sun left for this year.
Blaster..., a GOEX CAN for ya !

Dom as always Sir your measurements were spot on ! ., I greased the yoke.,  its snug and smooth., Thank You Sir.

Offline lance

Re: Canadian Cannon Company
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 04:30:16 PM »
 Tropico, now that's a work of art!!!  I'm anxiously awaiting to see more of this one!!!
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 04:39:56 PM »
     Tropico, We have never seen a better looking swivel gun anywhere.  Can't wait to see more pics and hear all about it.  You'll have to tell us if this is a custom order too.  Neither Mike nor I can spot any steps on the breech or muzzle like they show on their website.  Wow, a beautiful gun!!

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 05:05:06 PM »
Hey Tropico,  you're welcome! 

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 05:58:51 AM »
Thanks everybody. Yes this is a custom order. Our own design from what I liked best from a few different guns. I had an idea of what I wanted and Wes worked it out with his program changing sizes until he got what looked right for our mix.
This is based off the blueprint for the 6-pack Wes is building. The swivel is 25 X 4 with a 1" bore. Wes's run is 26" X 4" with a 1.50 bore. Also the trunnions and muzzle on Wes's cannons will be bigger.
This cannon Bill did for me is a sort of compromise between Wes's new cannons and my old swivel.

The idea for us was to get close to what Wes is doing while being able to interchange with Dominicks Swivel Yokes ., as well as share 1" projos with  the other swivels and my friends cannons. We wanted this cannon to match pretty closely to the bigger project...., I believe Bill captured that goal. He order the bronze and then he asked alot of questions .,and got all of it to fit our needs. (Thanks Bill) CCC's work is outstanding.

I am  excited to go shoot this thing..., 1" bore on a 4" round stock (Grinning    ;D  )  It's over built ., a 1" magnum if you will.
I looked at the pictures of Double D's Cairo Cannon (the yellow carriage cannon)  and I do not know the dimensions of it ., but its real obvious that the breach is alot more than 1 caliber thick to the bore . the same of Seacoasts Parrot.  Having a gun built this way as a swivel is a safe swivel to me.

Bill did a few details on this gun I really like ., the vent trough for example and the trunnions (Which you cant see)

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 06:40:30 AM »
Tropico, excellent pair of cannon and pictures too.  What color ya gonna paint em? ;D ;D
Someone's gonna think that I may work for or have stock in the Goex Powder Co. the way I talk up having an mty powder can in pictures for scale.
Two weeks from today is the Crossroads/SAR gun show out in Phoenix and I'm taking my little home made (perfectly legal) 20m/m BP
deck gun to deliver to the buyer at the show.  The buyer should have a lot of fun with this baby.
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline lance

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 01:02:54 PM »
 1" Magnum, i love that name!!! Tropico, the more i see of that beautiful swivel gun, the more i want one too! one day, too many irons in the fire now..........
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 03:00:31 PM »
     Tropico,   These latest pics have made believers out of us.  One of these beauties has just been added to the build list.  I even started to eyeball some bronze and brass "rounds" as we were looking over some big blocks of aluminum for fixtures the other day.  I told Mike, "I would rather face the ghost of Edward Teach than not add a bronze swivel gun to the list".  That's how strongly I feel about it.  Congratulations on designing a great gun with an excellent Dominic Swivel Yoke!!  AND, a Kewpie Award too!  It doesn't get any better than that.
Now we need FIRE AND SMOKE PICS.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Have fun,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 02:43:58 AM »
NICE!!!! :o Fire & Smoke PLEASE ::)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 05:29:01 AM »
Wait a minute is this thread about Canadian Cannon or Dom's Swivel gin yoke?

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 06:01:52 AM »
I am grateful for the Kewpie but this is about GOEX .

Offline civilcannon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 07:38:07 AM »
Tropico : My compliments on your latest golden beauty. My only concern with CCC is my that  request for a quote for my project was never answered  so I went with another idea. Is your tiller made of bronze as well? then bolted to the neck ? I may need to come up with a tiller as well .I always liked the old monkey tail design but more difficult to cast and attach.
Thanks civilcannon

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 09:34:24 AM »
  Is your tiller made of bronze as well? then bolted to the neck ? 
civilcannon good to hear from you.
On my swivel cannons (many may go a head and laugh here ) I have had to do what my budget would allow .,while still being trustworthy. What your looking at is some wrecking yard ingenuity. These are u-joint caps from a Pontiac Bonneville .,  off the differential side ., top and bottom.  bolted together with a peice of all-thread and brass acorn-nuts .,I cover the all-thread with copper pipe., and weld a steel nut on the bottom cap. The tiller is a 1/2" brass rod threaded into the nut., and I got a good deal on ebay for 3 - 1 3/8 " brass balls I chose for the handle.  The other two balls I keep in a black silk bag with a skull and cross-swords (Jack-Rackham-Logo) .  While firing the swivels I carry the silk bag in my pocket. I have been known to pass it to whomever is around to hold for me..., while I fire the gun.   I get a variety of looks ., yes. Its good for a few laughs and goes well with my pirate kit.  ;D

I do not know what form of communication you tried with Bill at CCC but he does have a toll free No# and is easy get that way., I do recommend him highly.

Offline civilcannon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 01:05:59 PM »
Tropico:  I like your solution to the tiller design It seams that you have 3 qualities that I admire:.... Pirate, Showman and Junk Yard Genius.

I sent 2 e-mails to Bill and we started a discussion about my project but he never did give me a price quote.
Now I may need to postpone the CCC project until I finish something else. I will post pictures soon. If you are like me( Millionaire) is not one of the names we go by.

civilcannon