Author Topic: Pardner Turkey Gun recoil  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Duckbill

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Pardner Turkey Gun recoil
« on: November 10, 2007, 01:26:45 AM »
Hey folks,
I'm think out loud here, so bear with me.  I love Spring Gobbler hunting.  I've always used pumps and autos, but this year I thought about a H&R Pardner.  One thing that is for sure about any turkey gun is there is signifigant recoil.  I can only imagine that these single shots would be horrific.  Recoil is not a big problem for me, but spending time at the range patterning could get rough.
So, are there any turkey hunters out there that can comment on the recoil of the Pardner Turkey gun?

Thanks
Isaiah 41:10

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Pardner Turkey Gun recoil
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 02:31:45 AM »
I dont know about the turkey guns but a 3" magnum out of a regular Pardner will light up your life!!

Some words of advice
1. a good recoil pad. I just had a Limbsaver put on my "shorty" 12 gauge and it's great.
2. maybe add a mercury recoil reducer or some BB's in the stock bolt hole.

Have fun with it!!

Spanky

Offline single action

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 12:30:29 PM »
I have a .12 guage full choke topper that I use for turkey hunting. I agree with spanky, a good recoil pad is essential. Luckily, you dont have to use expensive, extremely hard kicking "turkey  loads" to kill a turkey. I have killed several using remington high brass ( express?) high velocity # 6's out to about 35 yards. It killed them just as dead as the $10.00 a box of 5 turkey loads and were less painfull to my shoulder and to my wallet.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »
I have the 12 ga Turkey fixed fulled choke / 3.5" chamber/camo.

3" Turkey and Buck shot loads are cake with it as is.

The 3.5" are rough.

Yea, there is that much of a jump, deference.

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 06:03:32 PM »
I don't like to shoot the 3.5 12 ga. shells  out of a pump gun that weighs 2.5# more than a pardner single shot  I would have to be hungry or my family in danger to use a 3.5 shell in a nef single shot .and for the record I fired  13 10 gauge slugs a couple weeks ago and fired  30 10 gauge slugs in one setting a couple years ago  anything a 12 ga  3.5 load can do a 10 ga. can do better and less painful
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline Duckbill

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 02:58:29 AM »

The 3.5" are rough.

I agree.  I have no use for the 3.5" loads.  As long as the 3" are manageable, I may give it a try.
Isaiah 41:10

Offline OHHJIMMY

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 06:27:04 AM »
When I bought my 12 ga turkey a few years ago, I bought some 3" and 3 1/2" shells. I shot the 3" first then gave away the 3 1/2".

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 08:27:43 AM »
 3 1/2" are brutal and I have not been able to tell any real difference. I'd take the punishment if I thought it was worth it but it doesn't seem that anyone except the waterfowl hunter shooting gas operated autos like them.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 09:51:54 AM »
i use the limbsaver and it helps. but when i added weight to the butt is when i found real reduction. i melted old wheel weights into 3/4 " copper water pipe then cut it to fit
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 01:47:53 PM »
I have the matte black Pardner Turkey with the extra full screw in choke. It is a dream to carry in the woods, nice and light.
A put a slip on limbsaver pad over the factory pad. 3" magnums are no problem with this setup and pattern real nice for killing turkeys. 3 1/2" are tolerable but no fun to shoot. 3 1/2" are ridiculous with only the factory recoil pad.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 03:10:09 PM »
I have a 3.5" partner with the 24" extended choke barrel. I haven't used it for turkey but I have fired some dead coyote, while coyote hunting. The recoil is almost brutal. And I like recoil. It's tolerable when coyote hunting with heavy winter clothes on but it bruises my should when shot with just a thin coat or shirt on.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline vbhunter

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 04:22:40 PM »
I have one with the 24" barrel.  I took the weight out of the stock.  With 3" magnums, the recoil is ferocious.  With 3.5" magnums, it is unbelievable!  Of course, this was just when I was patterning it.  When taking a shot at a turkey, you don't notice it at all - you just feel the after-effects for a couple of days.  However, I love my Pardner.  It is a real pleasure to carry such an light and handy shotgun when walking around in the turkey woods.

Offline kingj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 08:54:16 AM »
 Like Billy in MN said the 3.5 is brutal.My gun has an 18.5" barrel and the muzzle blast is awesome
Character 24 hours a day 7 days a week !

Life Member NRA
.357 Handi
.35 Handi

Offline vbhunter

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 04:44:01 PM »
I've shot 338 win, and 375's that pale in comparison to my little black Turkey gun.  My son is 6'3" - 315, and he can't stand to shoot it even with the 3" shells.  I love it.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 04:51:52 PM »
Stand with your back to a wall.  Have someone hit your shoulder with a baseball bat.  It's about like that..........

Much worse than a 45-70 stuffed full...
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 07:21:47 PM »
I have a 12 GA. pardner, 3 1/2 chamber, full choke. Its the National Turkey Federation model.  I shoot 3" slugs and 3 1/2" turkey loads, both of which are "stiff", but manageable. Everything that I have killed with it have been one shot kills, drop right in their tracks. Works well on Canadian geese too. Don't let the turkeys get too close.
I did switch to a Handi 45-70 for deer and bear, using Hornady LE, and the recoil is somewhat less. I switched just to be able to take deer at 100 to 150 yards, which I couldn't with the slugs.

The Hermit

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 08:02:39 PM »
i got the 24" barrel one with a full choke and with 3" loads its not bad i haven't shot 3.5" shells in it and don't plan to. when i'm patterning it the steel weight goes in the butt stock when i'm hunting i take it out i did add the survivor forearm to mine which seem to help me hang on better
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 03:50:15 PM »

The 3.5" are rough.

I agree.  I have no use for the 3.5" loads.  As long as the 3" are manageable, I may give it a try.

Make sure you have a recoil pad on it. I use a Winchester branded Limbsaver slip on that I got from walmart for 20 dollars. It works great. I tried 3" shells without it and ended up with a dinner plate sized bruise on my shoulder.

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 09:19:37 AM »
I shoot 3.5 inch 10 guage & its alot less recoil than the 12. Gun is alot heavier.  Mike

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 10:47:49 AM »
I have the H&R turkey gun, 12g 3 1/2'" chamber.   I only shot a single 3.5" load in the factory set up of this gun.   Brutal is an understatement.    I did make some changes to the set up though.   As mentioned above I added weight (2lbs of lead bar) in the stock and added a limbsaver slip on over the factory pad.   

I now can shoot the heavy roman candles without needing an orthopedic surgeon.    Just for curiousity's sake I ran some numbers thorugh the Recoil Calculator.     My stock turkey gun weighed in at 5.75 lbs.   with a 2oz/1300fps or a 2.25 oz/1200 fps load the free recoil into the shoulder is about 100 lbs!  ( a 7 lb rifle with  30/06/180 grain round is between 22-25 lbs recoil).

By adding 2lbs to the stock the free recoil in those loads drops to around 75 lbs.   With the limbsaver it is much more tolerable.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 11:20:39 AM »
I have one, and I don't notice the recoil.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 12:30:56 PM »
I have one, and I don't notice the recoil.

Try shooting it ;D

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 01:58:47 PM »
It get's plenty of work.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 08:08:34 AM »
swampy, no sense no feeling.......... ;D

you say the funnyest things.

regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 08:25:41 AM »
Maybe you need some big girl pants.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 08:52:38 AM »
A few months ago you were a 20ga fan. Telling us all about how wonderfull the parder 20 ga was. I've been the whole route up to & including the 10ga.  I found you really don't need that much power for a turkey.  ;) A 20ga will kill a turkey just fine.  :o

regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 09:14:20 AM »
I'm still a 20 gauge fan and it is wonderful.  All I said was I don't notice the recoil of a 3 1/2" turkey load in my Pardner Turkey Gun.

Offline Airsporter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 11:19:58 AM »
If you "don't notice" the recoil of a 3 1/2" turkey load in a 6 pound gun, I am seriously astonished.   :o

That's 2 ounces of shot (875 grains) at 1300fps.  

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »
I actually enjoy it.  I thought recoil was part of the process.

Offline Airsporter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 11:29:37 AM »
Big difference between "don't notice" and "enjoy it."   ;)