Author Topic: .270 Gas Checks  (Read 390 times)

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
.270 Gas Checks
« on: November 10, 2007, 03:37:10 AM »
Anybody know a source for .270 (.277 dia) gas checks?
I have scoured the web and can't find any, and would like to cast some bullets to try in my Howa 1500.

Thanks

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: .270 Gas Checks
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 03:42:52 AM »
tn_junk,

Midsouth Shooter's has them listed in their catalog.  That is where I have always purchased my .270 gas checks.  They are the Lyman brand--$23.25/1000.  Good-luck...BCB

Offline Matt_G

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 05:09:19 AM »
I would strongly advise you go with the Hornady Gas checks. As you probably know these are actually crimped on when the cast bullet is run into the sizer die and lubed.
The Lyman gas checks do not have a postive "lock" like the Hornady's. They are just a "slip fit."
If the base of the bullet were to be seated below the neck-shoulder junction, this could be a big problem.

I did some searching and was surprised to see all my old suppliers no longer carry the Hornady's in .270 caliber. However, Hornady themselves have them for sale on their site.
http://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=85a2811523312a2b50048cd45ecc5661

Two more things:
1) If you plan on casting a lot, go scrounge wheelweights now, before all the Mom and Pop tire shops find out how much lead is worth these days.
2) A great source of information for cast bullet shooting is the CBA.
http://www.castbulletassoc.org/
The "Fouling Shot" is well worth the price of membership.

Good luck to you getting cast to shoot well in that rifle.
It can be a lot of fun,, though at times (with my rifles anyways) it seems akin to searching for the Holy Grail. :D

Matt
Matt
NRA Life Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 07:02:43 AM »
Afraid it's too late around here to get wheel weights at most places. I've been trying to scrounge some and found that most places already sell their old weights or, in the case of the "corporate" stores, only let licensed recyclers have them (legal stuff). I got lucky a while back and scrounged about 40 pounds, but haven't had much luck lately.
Just another example of the changing world.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline Matt_G

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 08:46:03 AM »
Afraid it's too late around here to get wheel weights at most places. I've been trying to scrounge some and found that most places already sell their old weights or, in the case of the "corporate" stores, only let licensed recyclers have them (legal stuff). I got lucky a while back and scrounged about 40 pounds, but haven't had much luck lately.
Just another example of the changing world.

alan

Wow, that is a real bummer. I'm lucky in the fact I have 3 small Mom and Pop type shops that still sell their wheelweights. I am one of 3 people they hold them for and we take turns. :)
The end result is, I get one 5-gallon bucket full every 4 to 6 weeks. Twenty bucks a bucket, and I am acquiring them far faster than I will ever process, cast, and shoot them.

Matt
NRA Life Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.