Author Topic: Fitting my 45-70 bbl. Here we go!  (Read 534 times)

Offline recondoc

• Trade Count: (3)
Fitting my 45-70 bbl. Here we go!
« on: November 10, 2007, 03:52:23 AM »
Howdy folks,
I'm going to attempt fitting my first bbl.  It's a 22" 45-70 that I picked up.
On initial fit there is a bit of side to side play but not much up and down.  Using feeler guages at the breech face, it shows a solid lock on a .002 on the right side but enough room to almost get a .004 in on the left.  (By left and right, I'm describing the sides if looking down the sights.)  When wiggled side to side, the gap moves from side to side.  It is an ejector bbl and the breech face appears to be cut nice and square.
Questions:
1: Although maybe not very accurate in it's  current form, would it be safe to fire as long as the lockup is good and solid at the latch with a little less than 1/3 engaged.

2: Does this sound like a case for a shim?

All knowledgeable input is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doc

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Fitting my 45-70 bbl. Here we go!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 04:12:47 AM »
1. Safe?.......... yes...

2. Shim?......... it looks like it would benefit from a .001 or possibly .002 piece of shim material.

3. as a suggestion, get one of those anti theft plastic containers that are affixed (adhesive) to articles you purchase at many stores. They are constructed of white plastic and are about an inch long and 1/4 inch wide, very thin. They are supposed to be deactivated by dragging them over a magnetic reader at the cash register when you purchase and pay for something (razor blades etc), when they are not deactivated the alarm sounds as you pass through the doors leaving the store. Peel the plastic unit from your purchase and carefully cut the container open, inside you will find 2 or 3 small pieces of metal strips, usually of different thicknesses, which through trial an error can be used as shims to fit barrels. I learned this from another member here and it works well. My preferred and quite long lasting method is to buy old sets of feeler gauges at yard sales and use the thinner hardened steel blades for long lasting shims, but the anti theft shims work fine for what they are. They should easily last you a regular hunting season, and perhaps more, depending of how much you shoot...good luck....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline recondoc

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 05:20:08 AM »
Thank you for the info.  I'll feel a lot better when I touch this thing off now.
The shim tip is great.  I'll give it a try.
Thanks again,
Doc

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:04:48 AM »
1/3 of the latch is sufficient lock-up, just be sure the latch and shelf are dry and not covered in oil. securely close the action of the gun, do not "baby" it slowly and gently into the locked position but there is no need to slam it shut either, close it firmly with authority and don't be afraid of it or of hurting it. If it does pop open upon firing it requires a LITTLE adjustment and attention but it is not dangerous, by the time it opens the bullet is away and the pressure has greatly abated, Just be sure to follow all range safety rules, safety glasses and hearing protection. Let us know how it works out. I will impart to you my all time favorite load for my 45-70's, 28.0 grains of 2400 behind a 350 grain Hornady RN or RNFP half jacket, accurate, and easy on the shoulder....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley