Author Topic: Need help w/ 204 Ultra Varmint  (Read 542 times)

Offline ORION

• Trade Count: (1)
Need help w/ 204 Ultra Varmint
« on: November 10, 2007, 09:13:06 AM »
I have been working on loads for my 204 Ruger but can get a good three shot group.  I have tried many of the Handi 101 tips but still get 2 shots close together and one flier 1.5 to 2 inches away.  Second shot is the flier. Tried shooting w/o the forearm off and the O-ring on barrel lug. also used JB bore paste to polish the bore.   Using Tac, Benchmark, 335 and 748 powder at about 27.5 grains w/ 32 gr v-max.  any Ideas? 

Orion

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Need help w/ 204 Ultra Varmint
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 09:27:56 AM »
Is that a group with the forend off, rested under the frame? Check to make sure the latch and shelf are dry and close the action with some force to insure it locks up the same each time.  I got my best accuracy with the 40gr Vmax and BL-C2 using Hodgdon data. I use a pressure point near the forend tip, but bedding the forend wil ultimately be the best choice for most that have problems, see the FAQs on bedding options.

Tim

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ORION

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Need help w/ 204 Ultra Varmint
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 04:16:48 PM »
Tim - that group is with pressure at the tip of the forend tip.  I used a small piece of refrigerator magnet with the forend screw just snugged down.  Will look at the forend bedding info.
thanks,
Doug