Author Topic: NAA revolvers, which one to get?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
NAA revolvers, which one to get?
« on: November 10, 2007, 09:19:57 AM »
I am thinking of getting a North American Arms mini revolver.  The choices are the small and easily hidden version in .22 RF, or the bigger and harder to hide .22 magnum.  There are also barrel length options too. 

Is there really a big difference in hitting power between the magnum and the .22 RF with practially no barrel to allow the powder to build up velocity?  The smaller version is also cheaper as well.

Thanks.   

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: NAA revolvers, which one to get?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »
there is a huge difference between 22 mag and 22 lr even with the short barrel. I have my eye on a Black Widow myself.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 04:00:25 AM »
Since you seem concerned about the size difference relative to concealment, I have to wonder where you plan to hide it! ;D
I chronographed some mags from an inch and a half barrel some years ago and velocity was about 900 fps, pretty lame. For comparison, various loads from my AMT 6" auto run 1350-1700 fps for 40 grain and lighter bullets. If I couldn't carry something bigger than that I'd go with a knife.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 01:36:07 PM »
I have the Magnum with 1 5/8" barrel and the holster grip. I recommend this one especially if
you have big hands as the holster grip allows you to get a nice grip and shoot accurately.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline K.K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 01:49:26 AM »
Is this for a last-ditch back-up gun or for fun shooting?  If you are considering it for self-defense, I would urge you to consider looking into a more potent caliber and pistol. There are a ton of reliable, accurate and more powerful pistols out there for primary concealed carry. I am no expert, but I believe that many will agree with me. Far be for me to dissuade someone from buying a new gun, but if it were my life on the line, I'd want something more substantial.

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 04:20:29 PM »
I know that I could use a bigger gun, but the problem is that these small framed revolvers are the ones you have with you as they are easier to carry over a larger handgun.  No one wants to be shot with a .22, and if you have to use it, then the attacker is going to be physically weaker to beat the heck out of him.

Try carrying a medium sized .38 when it is 95 degrees out and have only a t-shirt and shorts.  I have a Springfield XD-9 compact that I could use, but that won't hide well in very little clothing.

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 01:36:48 AM »
Kel Tec, Secamp, Robaugh, NAA Guardan-----------all are more powerful and as easy, or easier to conceal than the mini revolvers. Not to mention faster to get into action, and easier to hit with.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 10:48:14 AM »
Look at the Taurus CIA 357
5 shots of 357 with a internal hammer that wont catch on clothing when pulling it from a pocket.
Or if need be , you could shoot it through a coat pocket.
Beats a 22 any day.

Willy

Offline S.S.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 02:04:53 PM »
you will be better served with a good knife.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline rimfirehunter

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 02:02:48 PM »
I have a NAA Mini 1 5/8" barrel and it came with the .22lr and .22Mag cylinder.  I use the lr cylinder for range plinking fun and the mag cylinder when I drop this little critter in my pocket.  My primary carry is either a full size 9mm when clothing/weather allows, a Makarov in 9x18 or Bersa Thunder .380 when I need more a concealable pistol.  The NAA is carried as a last ditch BUG because its just too easy to carry, and yes I do carry a knife as well.

Offline Bigbuck

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 07:26:29 AM »
I've got the short barrel version in .22 LR as well.  I've shot the Mag version, and really wish that I had gone that route.  I do not consider this a primary defensive weapon, but rather a very last ditch "stick it in his ear and shoot" kinda thing.  I usually have a larger caliber handgun on my side, but this little NAA is very easy to slip into my pocket and pretty much forget it's there.  There are times and places that I don't have a larger gun strapped to my side, but the little NAA is in my pocket (yes..along with a knife). 

Offline butchcj7

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 10:34:53 AM »
I have the .22 mini, By advise from a police chief friend of mine first round is a shot shell, followed by fragmented 3 piece rounds. In Garland TX 2 years ago I was in a Hotel, when going back out to my car in a pair of shorts, left my .45 in the room and picked up the NAA, when Hispanic male tried to rob me with a knife, the shot shell was all it took, left him in the lot holding his inner thigh and privates and crying. Did not need to make a one shot kill, and said robber had one way ticket back home, .45 is my choice but why bring a knife to a gun fight. NAA is better than nothing, last ditch BUG gun, just my thoughts

Offline rocky_taco

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 11:38:06 AM »
PUG

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »
Plus 2 for a good knife.The 22 /22mag will work if everything works ,just like it is supposed to!!,I tend to think that the famous?infamous Murphy was a optimist.    Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 01:14:19 PM »
I have the .22 mini, By advise from a police chief friend of mine first round is a shot shell, followed by fragmented 3 piece rounds. In Garland TX 2 years ago I was in a Hotel, when going back out to my car in a pair of shorts, left my .45 in the room and picked up the NAA, when Hispanic male tried to rob me with a knife, the shot shell was all it took, left him in the lot holding his inner thigh and privates and crying. Did not need to make a one shot kill, and said robber had one way ticket back home, .45 is my choice but why bring a knife to a gun fight. NAA is better than nothing, last ditch BUG gun, just my thoughts
You're a lucky guy butch! Had there been a determined attacker with a knife at .22 shot shell range, he would have sliced and diced you before you could cock the hammer for the second shot.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline butchcj7

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 04:50:11 PM »
You are right I was lucky, I learned a lesson, never leave without a hotel room with out the Colt, but the NAA may have saved my life in that case, but drugged out thug, I would have been in bad shape. Glad I had what I had, point I was trying to make was with just a pair of shorts on and 20 feet from my room I thought I was safe, just picked up the NAA because it was by my keys, or would not have had anything. Lesson for us all, it can happen anytime, better be prepared.

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 04:46:55 PM »
there is a huge difference between 22 mag and 22 lr even with the short barrel. I have my eye on a Black Widow myself.

I agree that there is a difference between the 22 mag and 22 lr out of the short barrel.  However the difference is opposite to what you might think.  The advantage goes to the lr.

I once ran a penetration test with a Beretta Minx 22 short, an Iver Johnson TP22 22 lr, and an NAA mini revolver 22 mag.  The NAA had the short barrel (I believe 1 1/8").  The lr penetrated most and the short came in second.  The mag came in last.  Even the short penetrated more than the mag!  I called CCI and they told me the 22 mag was designed as a rifle round and used a slow burning powder.  That short barrel just didn't burn enough of the powder to get the full potential of the mag.

If you really want one of the mini revolvers, I recommend getting the 22 mag/22 lr combination.  Carry it with the lr cylinder.  If you get just the lr version, its grip is so small you can't hardly hold on to it when you shoot it.  The mag version has a little larger grip which makes it much more controllable.
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21