Author Topic: observations on the rut  (Read 540 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
observations on the rut
« on: November 11, 2007, 05:11:54 PM »
i think its about done here on eastern border. Strange in 4 days of hunting how few deer I saw-not one shooter buck. Only decent bucks I saw was when I was walking the dog!
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline .54

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: observations on the rut
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 03:09:22 AM »

I was out Saturday evening near Ross and watched 2 big does. Both had hair on their back that was wet and pushed forward so I knew a buck had been giving them some deer love recently.  Five minutes later a huge 8 pointer walked up and went back in a thicket with them. They were all only about 20 feet from me and it looked like the buck had only one thing on his mind.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:56:04 AM »
I saw one young doe Sun. evening at last light came out of a thicket but kept looking on alert back into the woodline. However I never did see any other deer following her. I let her walk to grow up a little more...my personal goals for harvesting a deer have changed over the years.  If it was a big mature, doe that would have been another story.
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline .54

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 03:24:25 PM »

Oh, I'll take a big mature doe any day. Actually just as I was getting ready to drop the biggest doe her baby came out of the brush and ran up and started nursing on her. I just couldn't shoot her after seeing her with the young one. Then the second big doe came into view and just as I was about ready to get a shot at her is when the buck walked up.
I was hunting on some property my son had just moved onto. He was hauling furniture from his old place Saturday afternoon and I asked if I could hunt while he was gone. We had seen a big buck up on top of the hill behind his place a week or two before and my son was itchin to do some hunting but he had been too busy with the move to get out. I told him if he'd let me hunt there I wouldn't take the big buck if I saw it. Wouldn't you know a few hours later there he was standing right in front of me. He was 20 feet away, the wind was in my favor and they didn't smell me or see me. I had a clear shot and there's no way I could have missed. I let them all walk off because I had promised my son I'd leave that buck alone. I didn't want to spook the buck from the area so I let the doe that was with him go too.
I was hoping I might see another buck after that or maybe a doe by herself but only saw one other doe and it was just too dark to make a good shot on her.
I had two in the freezer by this time last year so I'm behind schedule this year. I'd like to get at least one before gun season.