Author Topic: World War 2 Memorial on Vets Day  (Read 333 times)

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
World War 2 Memorial on Vets Day
« on: November 12, 2007, 05:11:57 PM »
I seen a bit of this on TV today. Many WW2 vets present including Bob Dole. I was deeply touched by this act of charity. Many of the Vets were moved to tears including Bob Dole. Something that happened so long ago still stirs powerful emotions in these Great American Heros. I have a place in my heart for all Vets, especially of WW2 since it was my fathers war. I have heard many stories of marching across Europe from my father and his buddies. Some stories interesting and funny and some incredibly tragic, but that is war.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. --
A group of aging veterans fly for free from Kansas City to Washington D.C. to see the National World War II Memorial, thanks to a non-profit group called Honor Flight.

The flight Wednesday was the first of the one-day trips out of Kansas City International Airport. As each veteran approached the gate, Southwest Airlines employees announced their names and service branches.

The visitors were met at the memorial by fellow World War II veteran and former Sen. Robert Dole of Kansas.

Honor Flight was organized in 2005 by Earl Morse of Springfield, Ohio, who says he runs the program with urgency because the number of World War II veterans declines by about 1,100 per day. By the end of 2006, Morse had set up flights for around 900 World War II vets.

The Kansas City Star: http://www.kcstar.com

Honor Flight: http://www.honorflight.org
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: World War 2 Memorial on Vets Day
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 05:15:59 PM »
They were properly named when some one gave them the tag "The Greatest Generation"
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.