Author Topic: best place to buy one item on internet  (Read 537 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
best place to buy one item on internet
« on: November 12, 2007, 05:25:34 PM »
So if I want to buy one bottle of Birchwood Casey Super Blue or one box of bullets or whatever then where should I go?  Assuming no Hazmat fees.......just who has cheapest shipping and smallest small order fee?

I know that Midsouth has cheaper UPS than others.  Grafs upcharges me for the luxury of a credit card..........

So what if I just want one thing and don't want to go to the $40 limit for a small order?

Super Blue from Midway
$4.39+$4 small order+$10.75 UPS=$19.14

From Midsouth $4.90+ $3 small order + $6.90=$14.80

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: best place to buy one item on internet
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 05:42:20 PM »
I bought some Aluminum Black from JT Buck, shipping was $4.50 IIRC, cheapest place I found for that one item that no one around here carries. But their website is being remodeled and isn't functional now, maybe soon?

Not to highjack ya, but I've used Super Blue and Perma Blue, Brownell's Oxpho Blue Creme is better stuff than either for a cold blue, costs more, but is worth it.

Tim

http://www.jtbuckonline.com/browseproducts/Super-Blue-Liquid.html

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1108
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:09:05 PM »
Alright, I will give Brownells creme a go.  I looked at it, but I had read about the BC in Shotgun News restoration article or something so I chose it.

I like the idea of a creme that won't run, seems like I would have more control.

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 12:57:01 PM »
....Just a heads up, but some of the Wal-Mart "supercneters or larger stores carry B/C Super Blue, and it is good stuff if you are dilligent with your metal prep. (SQUEAKY,  GREASE FREE CLEAN BEFORE APPLICATION! Warming the surface also helps!)
    I like Oxpho too, but in a pinch, the BC Perma blue works pretty well, and the Super -Blue works even better.
JMH2¢

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 07:10:08 PM »
Thanks.  All that I have seen in the store is the Perma Blue.  It touched up a Browning Hi Power from my reckless college days (Did you know that a human hair under the grips panels is a bad thing if it is left there for 12 years?).  It also touched up my home gunsmithing on the SKS.  But, I can't get it even on large areas. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:54:47 PM »
Here's the frame that I refinished with the Oxpho creme,(complete with scratches after the trigger job! :-[) it came out much better than anything I've ever done with the BC products, and I thought they were pretty good til then. This took 2 burnishings and I called it good, the last barrel that I did with Super Blue took 6 or 7 burnishings and it still didn't come out as nice, still had some uneven spots.

Tim

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 08:08:42 PM »
....To get even coverage on most steels with perma blue, the surface needs to be very carefully degreased! I usually clean the part with disc brake cleaner, or MEK then when dry, I bake it in the oven at about 150 degrees for 30 minutes or so. allow part to cool about five minutes until just cool enough to handle comfortably  DON'T handle the parts with your bare hands at anytime during the process use disposable rubber gloves and change them often, rinse in very hot water scrub with Dawn detergent between coats and rinse in water hot enough that the surface drys as soon as it is removed from the water s Perma will coat even on most steels this way, but it won't necessarily be very dark and may take up to 10 coats to really even out. Super will usually give a nice deep black finish in 2 or 3 coats. I find that application with a wad of old pantyhose material helps keep color even. I also sometimes buff VERY  lightly with 00000 steel wool after application but before rinsing. Remember, steel wool has a lubricant in it, so rinse then scrub with Dawn (which removes the oils) and apply the blueing while the part is warm to the touch. This technique also works well with all the cold process blues I have tried.
    But like Tim says, the Oxpho works better and is not so finicky and ,well, his results speak volumns!
DG

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:15:51 PM »
I just wear heavy rubber gloves and wash the part in soapy 140º hot water to degrease it, it drys super fast and the heat makes a big difference in how well the blueing works on the metal. The problem with the BC stuff is it tends to evaporate and causes the spotting, the creme doesn't and stays on the metal evenly. I burnish between treatments with #0000 steel wool, then wash it again in hot water before the next treatment. ;)

Tim