Author Topic: When do we hear the news about Handi for 2008?  (Read 20822 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: When do we hear the news about Handi for 2008?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 05:51:04 AM »
Wow!!!!!!!!!!! This is great news. I see a new in my future for sure now. I wonder if they will cost more? I think the 7MM Mag. would be great for me. The good thing is once you have one of the new receivers you may be able to fit older barrels to the new receiver. At least I hope you could fit old barrels to the new generation receiver. Then people could rechamber their 243 and 223 to short mags. This is very exciting news. This would open up the Handies to all magnum calibers. I think this is a great move for them. I would not mind seeing a 17 fireball in the Handi future also. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 06:02:28 AM »
I wouldn't plan on doing any of the short mags on the new magnum frames, even TC won't do them, but we can always hope. ;D

Although there's no advantage to a short mag over a standard mag when used in a single shot, after all, the reason for the short mags is to use a short action, a moot point with a single shot, there is no action!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 07:30:55 AM »
Could make the company some money. That is if it is cheaper than a Stevens.

Personaly I will pass.

Also, I hope they don't go to this new frame and stop offfering barrels for mine.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 08:23:12 AM »
I wouldn't plan on doing any of the short mags on the new magnum frames, even TC won't do them, but we can always hope. ;D

Although there's no advantage to a short mag over a standard mag when used in a single shot, after all, the reason for the short mags is to use a short action, a moot point with a single shot, there is no action!! ;D

Tim
Tim I have to say that a 223 WSSM sure would be great. I just checked the OAL of both rounds and if the new Handi frame would Handle the pressures it would be doable seeing as the WSSM case is longer than the 223 case. The same is not true for the 243 though. The 243 WSSM case is shorter than the 243 case. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 08:44:34 AM »
You miss the point Dale, the only reason the short mags were created was to be used in a short bolt actions(308 length) as opposed to a long action(30-06 or longer length), all the mags with few exceptions are made on long actions, since Handi has no action, it's a moot point.

Tim

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 09:11:44 AM »
You miss the point Dale, the only reason the short mags were created was to be used in a short bolt actions(308 length) as opposed to a long action(30-06 or longer length), all the mags with few exceptions are made on long actions, since Handi has no action, it's a moot point.

Tim
Tim I did not Miss the point. I understood what you said the first time around but they don't make a 223 mag. The 223 WSSM is a smoking fast little round and would be nice to have. I am just saying you could rechamber a 223 to a WSSM. I do understand the Handi has no action. Dale

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 09:14:42 AM »
That's why we have the 22-250 and the 220 swift.
They are smokeing fast also and have longer cases to grip the chamber walls plus smaller heads.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 09:21:44 AM »
Yea but neither of them travel at 4300+ FPS. Although they do come close. ;D Dale    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_WSSM

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2007, 09:34:47 AM »
The 220 Swift is a great rechamber for a 223 H&R, there have been several that have done those, it's not quite as fast as the fastest 223WSSM loads, but it overlaps the data with the lighter bullets. If you're talking rechamber, one of the .22/243 wildcats like the Cheetah could be done on any late model SB2 frame and achieve the same velocity, wouldn't be for handloaders tho. And like I said, when TC or any of the custom Encore barrel makers won't chamber any short mag....

Tim

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2007, 09:47:57 AM »
Tim the 22-243 is that a 308 case necked down to a 22 caliber? I bet that is pretty fast. Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2007, 09:55:28 AM »
I just read up on it a little bit. Sounds to be a great little round. Dale          http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w22243m.html

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2007, 10:17:33 AM »
Yeah, there are several versions, another might be the .22-284 Winchester or .224 Texas Trophy Hunter.

Tim

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w22chee.html

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=203

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=538

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2007, 10:25:53 AM »
Tim the 22-243 is that a 308 case necked down to a 22 caliber? I bet that is pretty fast. Dale

This is an extreem but yes very fast.
http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail.asp?CaliberID=100&LoadID=1147

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2007, 10:31:52 AM »
The 30gr Berger at that velocity has to be used in a slow twist barrel, in the 22-250 data that I got from Walt Berger, he noted that it had to be a 1:14" twist or slower, or the bullet would disintegrate just out of the muzzle. :o

Tim

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2007, 10:33:14 AM »
That has got to be the fastest bullet I ever heard of. I bet at those speeds you could burn a barrel out in 1,000 rounds. Dale :o

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2007, 10:55:48 AM »
A lot of people submit loads to that site and they keep a running tally of the most velosity and the most energy.
That IS the fasted to date.

Regular loads would likely be tamer.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2007, 10:56:38 AM »
Another thought on the original topic, maybe they'll offer the 338 Win Mag in 2009, then since they have a .338 bored barrel available, they'll also offer a 338 Federal for those not wanting a magnum. ;D

Tim

Offline OBXPilgrim

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2007, 01:58:30 PM »
Magnumitis for the Handi, huh?

Too bad.

Maybe next year. 

Sorry to those that are bitten by the magnum bug.  Kind of hated it when I saw all the gun OEMs started coming out with the magnum of the month (short/fat/ultra/super/"insert marketing catch phrase here"). 

Guess I'd just like to see some older calibers redone or something with some style, like maybe a pseudo-Safari-American-Metric along the lines of the buffalo classic in maybe 9.3x74R (yeah, don't start screaming brass prices!).  A 6.5x55/.260 Rem would have been great.  Or a .348 Winchester.

Maybe next year.

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2007, 02:35:32 PM »
Hi Folks, Since I am Tim's source for information, I need to correct some info. I gave him on this topic. The frames for the magnums are manufactured with a different alloy and subjected to a special heat treat. Sorry, the details are confidential on the process. When I get more info., I will pass it along to Tim.

So am I to understand that you are a representative of/from H&R? If so why haven't you posted and answered or at least responded to some of the more perplexing questions about your rifles that have been posted here? Are you passing along our requests and concerns?
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2007, 03:22:35 PM »
I also am against the magnums, they are just not needed. A .348 Winchester (be still my heart) I would buy immediately, also nice would be the long sought after .35 Remington (although I already have one, a rebored .357 barrel by Wayne, like Quicks). Bring back the also much sought after 7x57 (I have one of those also!!), and a .257 Roberts would be grand to have. How about working on some of the little problems that seem to always come up, bad chambers, long throats, uneven bore diameter, heavy triggers, even more consistent frame and barrel dimensions in an effort to help in barrel changeability, just about any standard improvement before wasting time and money on silly magnums. I might even contemplate a .338 Federal, but no thanks to any MAGNUM chamberings other than the .357 and the .44. And while I am on my soapbox, thanks to H&R for finally correcting the overbored .44 Mag barrels, the only problem with the .44 Mags now, as well as all their centerfire offerings is they are EXTRACTOR only barrels, that may stop me from ordering one but I may also just buck up and get one, but the extractors just irritate me no end. What a stupid move on H&R's part. Now they want to make MAGNUMS?, who the heck is making decisions there and up where do they have their head?? I would ask where do they have THEIR heads but I believe if more than one stupid person was responsible for that decision it would never have been made, you would never get more than one person to make such a mistake, therefore I believe it was the decision of one foolish person. And what is worse it was instigated by people who were, are still are, on this site and cronically complained about ejectors, simply because they did not know about guns, or know enough to keep their chambers clean and dry. Now we are ALL stuck with extractors only, but if this foolishness continues I guess now I will be able to NOT BUY a magnum with an extractor only, a heavy trigger and a possibly incorrectly bored chamber and an overly long throat, such is improvement and advancement....<><....:(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2007, 04:04:36 PM »
MSP Ret ok now please step down off the soap box. I love ya buddy but mags will only be a good thing for the company. This really opens up H&R NEF to a whole new realm of things to come. I am one of those people that hate change. I get used to something and I like it to stay that way but this is a giant leap into better things. Think of all the rechambers you will be able to do after this new frame comes out that you could never do with the old ones. This is going to make me buy another Handi!!!!!!!!!!!! Think about that. How many more me's are out there. Andy you are really a great person but step back and look at the big picture and you will see that this is going to make a lot more people buy Handies. If that happens their company gets stronger. If they get stronger maybe they can put the money into the QC that they need to. Dale

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2007, 06:02:34 PM »
Man, +1 for the 35 Remington! Ever since I got my 336 Marlin 30-30 I have always been eyeing a 35
Remington. It would be way cool caliber for a Handi, that's for sure!

Robert

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2007, 07:28:17 PM »
I for one want and will buy the first Handi I can get my hands on Chambered for the .338 Win Mag.  I need a powerful magnum cartridge to carry during the summer when the Grizzlies are out.  The 7MM Mag is a good varmint cartridge, the .300 is a souped up 06, but the .338 speaks with authority.  My biast view point.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2007, 11:39:07 PM »
Hi Folks, Since I am Tim's source for information, I need to correct some info. I gave him on this topic. The frames for the magnums are manufactured with a different alloy and subjected to a special heat treat. Sorry, the details are confidential on the process. When I get more info., I will pass it along to Tim.

So am I to understand that you are a representative of/from H&R? If so why haven't you posted and answered or at least responded to some of the more perplexing questions about your rifles that have been posted here? Are you passing along our requests and concerns?

Reasonable question, but one thing is for certain, they obviously are aware of them!

Just a guess here, but.........I can see that any correspondence though, on this forum would amount to a hi-jack by H&R, and I'm sure that wouldn't go over too well.

That's why they provide that 800 number, and customer service dept.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2007, 01:33:07 AM »
I for one want and will buy the first Handi I can get my hands on Chambered for the .338 Win Mag.  I need a powerful magnum cartridge to carry during the summer when the Grizzlies are out.  The 7MM Mag is a good varmint cartridge, the .300 is a souped up 06, but the .338 speaks with authority.  My biast view point.

That's the first time I have heard someone call a 7mm mag. a varmint cartridge!!
I always thought it was a big game round. ::)

Spanky

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2007, 01:50:13 AM »
Then people could rechamber their 243 and 223 to short mags.

Don't forget that the 223 and 243 are SUPERshort Mag.  The straight wall is only one and one eighth inch long.  A hornet is the only handi barrel you could use to get the chamber dimensions correct.  A 223 rem would have 2 shoulders if rechambered to 223 WSSM.

Anywho, back on subject, I can't wait to try out a 7 or 300 mag.  I have learned to handle the recoil of the 450marlin handi pushing 325grains of lead at 2250fps.  Factory loaded 7mag shouldn't provide even half the recoil.
I just hope the new high tech frame and stainless barrel doesn't push these guns up into the price range of Encores or even CVA optimas for that matter.

I also really hope that the new offerings are not limited to just magnums.  There are a few calibers made by all of the big 4 ammo manufacturers that we still need.   

Offline jrkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2007, 12:26:16 PM »
I would love to see a 405 winchester in a handi!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2007, 01:10:32 PM »

Show him the picture of yours Quick.

Spanky

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2007, 01:12:09 PM »

Here ya go...OH, you meant as a factory option!!! ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2007, 02:08:26 PM »
Check this out!! Select firearms, long guns and H&R from the two lists.  http://www.rsrgroup.com/cgi-bin/cgirpcux/WTM-002O

Tim

300 Win Handi

444 Marlin Handi synthetic

7mm Rem Handi

357 Mag Handi!!