Author Topic: When do we hear the news about Handi for 2008?  (Read 20801 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: When do we hear the news about Handi for 2008?
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2007, 02:50:40 PM »
To bad no picture though. I would say that confirms it. Looks like they will have Synthetic stocks. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline glwenzl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2007, 02:58:41 PM »
I would luv to hear em coming out with say the 17 fireball and 20 var targ and the 5mm mag... A 7mm Waters too!

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2007, 03:04:39 PM »
I just want them to come out with a 260 Remington on that new frame..... I know someone that has a 6.5-284 reamer that is just itching to be used.  ;D ;D ;D
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2007, 06:35:52 PM »
  I think it is a great move offering the mags.  Ya, I personally HATE mags, but nearly everyone else seems to need one for hunting.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2007, 01:19:45 AM »
Yea but neither of them travel at 4300+ FPS. Although they do come close. ;D Dale    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_WSSM

Dale,

In regards to the 220 Swift & 22-250................true.  One note though,  if used for Woodchucks,  IMO there is not a factory caliber from .224 down that tears up Woodchucks  more than a 220 Swift / 22-250.  In particular a 50 grain V Max at about 3800fps. :o  In fact, they tear them up like a .243 with light stuff.  Twenty,Seventeen calibers, .223's etc. really don't come close to the carnage. 
I have noted this for some time.  It was again confirmed this summer on another website with a thread / contest about woodchuck carnage.  The 22-250s, Swifts & .243's tore them up the worst.  Larger calibers were also used but, they lacked the explosiveness.

I don't care for the muzzle blast these days nor find it sporting for the majority of shots inside 300 yards.  But, the Swifts and 22-250s really make good woodchuck medicine and are often extremely accurate in a quality bolt action.

Now some here are using the custom 1/7 - 1/8 fast twist 22-250's and very high BC bullets for there long range / low recoil long range Chuck rifles  :o  Now...........that will chew up a barrel  :D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2007, 09:33:06 AM »
Here's another new offering listed at Zanders. They list the MSRP of the Handis as $278, the new mags as $319, which gives you an idea of the price difference. They list the 338 Win Mag, but it was dropped from intended production after the price sheets went out, so that may happen to the 45-70 Ultra also.

Ultra 24" heavy barrel, SS 45-70, laminated, not cheap tho!! ;D

Tim

http://consumer.gzanders.com/itemdetail.php?itemnumber=GSB2T57

http://consumer.gzanders.com/itemlist.php?classid=HRRI
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2007, 09:50:34 AM »
Well there is one I could see materialize one day.. a stainless 45-70 barrel from NEF that is. It would be a nice addition to their growing library of barrels I think.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2007, 09:50:53 AM »
  The only Mag i have for hunting.is the .22 RF Mag...

I suppose the chances that H&R might chamber their own round..the .32H&R mag..is rather remote..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2007, 12:54:43 PM »
so if one had the new frame, would the older lower pressure barrels fit?  ie same dimensions

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2007, 01:00:08 PM »
Dunno yet, that remains to be seen, that was discussed in this thread...

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,130508.msg1098481902.html#msg1098481902

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2007, 03:17:43 PM »
I find it hard to believe that all NEF is going to do is  just heat treat the  frame to a higher strength. Doing this will reduce the materials fracture toughness and make the frame more prone to catastrophic failure. I have to believe that the load bearing components would be increased in section to also stiffen up the frame to avoid excessive deflection and possibly improving the design of some components like the latch (for the same reason). If so, how much heavier will the new magnums be I wonder?

I too am not a magnum fan but I know some folks are and it's a good sign(offering a new design) that NEF intends to meet the competition. I won't be buying one but from this thread it's obvious that allot of you are eager.

To each his own. My $0.02(CDN)

Mc

Offline Guy Pike

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2007, 01:44:06 AM »
So, to get a new barrel from NEF we still have to send in the receiver and have them fit it. This is the one change they could make that would please me and a gang in NH. All my associates will pay more for TC's because they can drive 30 minutes to Fox Ridge{TC's outlet store] buy rifles and barrels, and be shooting in an hour and a half. Instant gratification has it's price,yes, but people will pay it!
You can't beat a Cerberus!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2007, 05:04:45 AM »
So, to get a new barrel from NEF we still have to send in the receiver and have them fit it. This is the one change they could make that would please me and a gang in NH. All my associates will pay more for TC's because they can drive 30 minutes to Fox Ridge{TC's outlet store] buy rifles and barrels, and be shooting in an hour and a half. Instant gratification has it's price,yes, but people will pay it!

Everything is speculation right now...Who knows...maybe they have got the fitting issue worked out so they can be sold OTC as well...it would be nice...that's for sure..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2007, 11:11:03 AM »
I wouldn't mind having a .375 Mag. in nickel/stainless paired with a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in satin stainless.  I think they would make a sweet woods loafing duo.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=319&return=Y
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline misterguy

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2007, 09:32:49 AM »
Tim the 22-243 is that a 308 case necked down to a 22 caliber? I bet that is pretty fast. Dale

This is an extreem but yes very fast.
http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail.asp?CaliberID=100&LoadID=1147

I was wondering if anyone made this on a stock rifle?  I'd doubt it.  It would be neat to try one of those out. 

I think it'd kinda be sweet if h&r made rifles in some of these other cartridges like the 17 rem. Fireball.  I think it would be neat to see a 6.5X55 swedish on a handi rifle.  Guns and ammo (i think it was) had a neat article on them.  Some cool history behind it.  If H&R started manufacturing guns in some of these super high speed (22-243), wildcat and surplus cartridges I'd bet it would help the little gun get out there a little more. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2007, 09:39:46 AM »
H&R/Marlin will only produce firearms that can be used with factory ammo, afterall, they recommend against using handloaded ammo in the owner's manual. ;)

Tim

Offline misterguy

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2007, 01:41:11 PM »
Good policy.  Just thinking of the possibilities. 8)

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2007, 07:12:51 AM »
Wow,  HR is a day late for me on this.  I just got a Savage 7mm Rem Mag and am contemplating getting a 338 win mag barrel for it too.  That will be after I get the 35 whelen barrel for my 30-06 savage - since I had to back out of my whelen adventure in the HR platform.

I need to stop getting a new chambering/barrel and immediately wanting another  ???  I am spread way too thin with using what I got as it is.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2007, 12:02:58 PM »
Wow,  HR is a day late for me on this.  I just got a Savage 7mm Rem Mag and am contemplating getting a 338 win mag barrel for it too.  That will be after I get the 35 whelen barrel for my 30-06 savage - since I had to back out of my whelen adventure in the HR platform.

I need to stop getting a new chambering/barrel and immediately wanting another  ???  I am spread way too thin with using what I got as it is.

I know that feeling all too well. :( ::)
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2007, 12:06:46 PM »
I hope to find out what their tentative production schedule is for new products in a week or so. ;)

Tim

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2007, 12:43:41 PM »
I am a little behind here, but I do not think I want to see the varmints that the 45-70 Ultra Varmint is for ::) ;D ;D Are bears varmints? I would like to see that rifle, I bet it is a honey.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2007, 12:47:15 PM »

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2007, 04:10:24 PM »
I would like to see a .348 Winchester offering from H&R/NEF, but just so you don't call me a a strict traditionalist (however I am a traditionalist), I would also like to see a .338 Federal chambering. A .35 Remington would be nice to have from the factory even though I already have mine. I am in the process of getting my .45 ACP Handi barrel made up, so all in all life is good!!!....<><....:)l
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2007, 11:36:53 AM »
I am a little behind here, but I do not think I want to see the varmints that the 45-70 Ultra Varmint is for ::) ;D ;D Are bears varmints? I would like to see that rifle, I bet it is a honey.

I have a friend who shoots PD's with a .50 BMG

I would like to see a .460 in a 22" handi with a laminate stock

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2007, 07:56:19 PM »
I'd like to see a better fitted and shaped stock. Walnut would be nice but birch is ok, just stain it well.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline fish280

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2007, 04:35:19 AM »
i am still hoping for a swede chambering. the round has a slight rim. the rim, case taper and SAMI pressures make it perfect for the NEF ...
His,
><>

Offline Steve in Michigan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2007, 04:24:36 AM »
All I want is something in 6.5 caliber, either the 6.5x55 or .260. Either of these calibers is absolutely perfect for the Handi. I also wouldn't mind seeing the 7x57 again. These three are all you need for 99% of hunting.

Steve

Offline knight0334

• Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2007, 11:37:17 AM »
I'm kinda catching this thread late...

I'm gathering there is a new, stronger, receiver coming out?  The "SB3"?  For use with magnums?  ....and a 24" 45-70 barrel for it too??   Anyone care to guess if Ruger #1(at least bottom end) loads will get the thumbs up by H&R or Wayne?

I'm seeing all sorts of happiness in the woodchuck fields right about now..  Maybe a couple hundred extra FPS out of my drilled out 300gr JHP's(about 250gr after drilling)?

If what I just read in this thread is true, then I'm gonna have to get one.   

And as Tim said, I use the 45-70 BC for woodchuck.   They aren't explosive on chucks until you modify the bullets to fragment.  A hogged out 300gr JHP to 250grs becomes a flying ashtray.  Fragments pretty good on small critters.  You gotta bore out the nose of the slug evenly to keep its balance, and working up a load takes awhile.

RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2007, 11:42:07 AM »
Yup, back on page 1. The 45-70 Ultra will be on a standard SB2 frame, only the 7Rem mag and 300Win mag will be available on the magnum frame, hopefully next year(2009) the 338Win mag will be a reality, that would mean they'll have a .338 barrel and the .338 Federal might be offered!! :)

Tim

Offline knight0334

• Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2007, 05:53:32 PM »
7mm, 300 and 338 are a good start..    hopefully they will offer rimmed bigbore barrels for the new receivers at a later date though.  Even if they dont, it might provide a stronger platform for us tinkerers to build on.

I've been fortunate enough to have NEF/H&R SB2's that stood up to some teeth-jarring 45-70 loads, but I want more..   lol  not really willing to push it further with the SB2's.  And I sure dont wanna dish out for a #1 or especially a Dakota #10 receiver.  ...I like external hammers on my guns.  The new Knight KP1's look interesting though. :)
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07