Author Topic: A pre 64 270, and a 13 year old boy vs Cow elk.  (Read 669 times)

Offline Idaho Ron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
A pre 64 270, and a 13 year old boy vs Cow elk.
« on: November 14, 2007, 12:32:11 PM »
My son Jacob got his elk last weekend. He is one happy young man. It was a one shot kill. He shot the cow at 345 yards and the pre-64  270 winchester with a 140 gr Hornady yanked the rug on this cow. The heard started to mill and then left. Some other hunters got a spike and then they helped us by packing the elk out on their 4 wheelers. It was a great day.  Ron

Offline old06

• Contributor
Re: A pre 64 270, and a 13 year old boy vs Cow elk.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 02:42:37 PM »
WOW great for both of you enjoy the moment....................................Bob
Psalm 16

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 03:39:23 PM »
Well that young man just filled the freezer for the winter.  Congratulations!

I have used the 140 grain Hornady in one of my .270's for years.  The deer have always been kind to me and appeared at close range when carrying that load.  Did the bullet hold together at the range your son took his elk?  How much penetration did he get out of the bullet? 

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Idaho Ron

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 04:28:56 PM »
The bullet mushroomed back perfectly. In fact for hitting the spine I was surprised that it held together. It weighed 61.3 gr after I cleaned it up. He hit her from above and drove the bullet down into her length wise. I would say the bullet had close to 24" of penetration. She was facing him with her front feet kind of lower than her back. The bullet hit the spine above and between the shoulders. It angled down and back taking out the lungs and liver stopping at the diaphragm but it stayed in the liver just under the (skin) of the liver,  you know that see through tough stuff. Any way I was happy to see her drop so fast. Ron

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 07:14:53 PM »
I appreciate the information, I still have close to 100 of those loaded and reserved for hunting.  That is a big animal to get that much penetration.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.