Author Topic: Now I know why.....  (Read 616 times)

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Now I know why.....
« on: November 16, 2007, 02:42:40 AM »
NOT to store guns in case.  In just a matter of 2 days the inside of my barrel started to rust and it wasn't even raining; just condensation from leaving in my truck overnight.  Lesson learned!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Now I know why.....
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 02:54:05 AM »
Yup learned that lesson at least 40 years ago and it wasn't even my gun. I went to buy one from a fellow at his house. He had it in a plastic case and when he pulled it out for the first time in some while it was completely rusted up. Needless to say he didn't make a sale that day.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 05:52:54 AM »
  I was guiding grouse and woodcock with my Gordon setter on Drummond Island Michigan...  Broke down my SXS 28ga. and put it in a soft case hoping I might get a chance to do a little hunting myself.  Three days later, I pulled out the gun and had a nice quarter-sized rust spot on the case colored receiver. :-[  I KNEW you don't store guns in a soft case, but hadn't a clue that a gun could be affected that quickly.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 03:39:03 PM »
Yep, learned that from a good buddy of mine.  He had a 9mm he bought brand new just a few weeks before.  We went out shooting, he took it out of the soft case, and it looked dusty from all the rust spots coming up on it.  All it needed was a little bit of WD-40 to fix the problem.. but it never got stored in that case again.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 01:34:16 AM »
I had a Ruger #3 in .22 Hornet.  In-between every-other-week uses I kept it in a soft case in my gun room in the basement.  I poened the case one time and noticed spots of rust on the receiver.  The damage was not much, but was a wake-up call.  I started using SS-2, which is similar to WD-40 on the guns after that.  Sure enough, I left in the case again when I was in a hurry.  After an extended time I noticed that it was in the case and opened it expecting the worse.  When I took the gun out, it had water droplets on the receiver, but no rust!  The SS-2 protected the finish.  I threw that case away.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 03:54:42 PM »
I'm joking a little bit, but this should be posted as a "sticky"
Great info---I knew it wasn't a good idea, but never thought it could be that dramatic and fast.
Thanks for posting for the rest of us.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14