Author Topic: gun will not hold true when sighted in! help!  (Read 534 times)

Offline newhunter06

• Trade Count: (0)
gun will not hold true when sighted in! help!
« on: November 16, 2007, 04:34:24 AM »
i have sighted my 4570 in three times and it will not hold true, scope is secure. thinking maybe a bad scope, i was wondering if i removed it and used iron sights how far off are they from the factory, i probally will make shots less than 125 yards

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: gun will not hold true when sighted in! help!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 06:13:15 AM »
Iron sights are like scopes. You have to sight them in. Some times they are rough sighted in at the factory for a certain load. You will not know if it is right until you shoot it with the ammo you intend to use. Generally, but not always, iron sights are good for windage, but not for elevation. There are just too many variables. Shooting irons at 125 yards depends on the sight construction/type and the abilities of the shooter. If you are up to it and have proper sights; 125 yards should not be a problem with irons. If you have sight handicaps like I do. I am near sighted have astigmatism and need bifocals (you have to do things differently when you start getting long in the tooth), there could be a problem. You could just go out and purchase a new/better scope, that is what I would probably do. I would not get a high power scope. I would get a 2.5X or 4X scope and get the best one you can afford. If all you can afford is a cheaper one then get a "shotgun" scope of the same power I mentioned. They are generally set at 50 yards for parallax and usually built fairly solidly.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 04:32:46 PM »
Newhunter06,
I was having problems with my 30-30 changing impact and not grouping well when I shot it. I got a
scope ring alignment and lapping kit from Midway and it fixed the problem right away. I couldn't believe
how out of round the inside diameters of my rings were! They are Leupold Rifleman detachable medium
rings. I lapped all my rings on all of my rifles and have seen a huge improvement in consistency. The kit is
from Wheeler Engineering. It runs around $40 and is well worth it! Check out the reviews.
                                       Robert

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=227261&t=11082005

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 04:37:19 PM »
Robert, you should have asked, Russ Haydon has a great lapping kit for $26 shipped! It's in the FAQs too. ;)

Tim

http://www.shooters-supply.com/web_specials.html

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 05:07:15 PM »
Tim,
You're right Pal. I got this kit a while back before I got into Handi's. I have seen
a huge improvement since I started lapping though. That is a great price
for a lapping kit. If you don't use one, I say get it. You won't be sorry.

Robert

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 05:26:35 PM »
I used to just use Burris Signature Zee rings almost exclusively, they don't need to be lapped, but they don't make them in low or extra low, so I started using lapped  Leupold PRWs and QRWs on Handis to get the scope lower, the Haydon lapping tool works great. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Bingo

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 04:45:04 AM »
  Is the fore end hitting the barrel or did you float it. My .243 was all over the paper till I sanded the fore end and got a dollar bill to slide freely down both sides. Now it is shooting less than 3/4 in. at 100 yrds. and I expect that to get better as I break in the barrel.