Author Topic: 45/70 Handi  (Read 842 times)

Offline 321

• Trade Count: (0)
45/70 Handi
« on: November 16, 2007, 07:27:01 AM »
New Handi .45-70 - Is it is reasonable at all to stress relieve the Handi barrels?  Is there a supplier of steel trigger guards for the Handi?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: With much anticipation....45/70 Handi
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 09:05:06 AM »
Welcome to GBO, cdl! ;) There has been some discussion on cryo treatments, but nothing serious, waste of time and money for a hunting rifle, IMO for anyone that has to pay for it.  If you have the resources, it likely won't hurt anything to try it tho. 

http://www.riflebarrels.com/faq_lilja_rifle_barrels.htm#deepcryogenic

H&R used to make steel trigger guards and spacers, but discontinued them. Moyer is the only possible source at this time, and one of our members has a back burner project of making them, but nothing at this time.

To post photos, you have two choices, click the "Additional Options" below the reply window to browse to the photos on your PC and select them. The other choice is to sign up at a free pic hosting site like GBO owned www.myhostedpics.com  then upload them there, copy the pic link, then paste it with your text in a reply.

Congrats on the deer hunt!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:09:17 AM »
Welcome to GBO cdl! :) As you have found out already it is great site with lots of great people posting answers and questions. You have chosen one of the "must have" cartridges for the Handi. It is very popular and generally folks can get them to shoot well. It sounds like you are an experienced shooter/hunter. You will be able to contribute your experiences and knowledge for the benefit of all. If you have questions along the way, this is the best place to find the answers. Please read the FAQ at the top of this section. You will learn lots about your new rifle and will answer a lot of your questions. Even if you do not have questions, it is very good reading. Just one piece of advice from me - Clean your new rifle to the instructions in FAQ and then try to shoot it, with out any modifications. You may find that it shoots lights out, right out of the box. It sounds like you are new to casting bullets so I am letting you know that there is a special section just for that purpose. There is one for hand loading too. There are lots of subjects. I have ordered a 444 Marlin barrel and not yet got a 45-70. I tussled a while on which one to get; the 45-70 or the 444. Since I have several 44 Mag guns and have a large supply of bullets, I went with the 444. Time will tell if I made a mistake. I know you did not make one, I am sure you will be very happy with your choice. Good luck and happy hunting ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline 321

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 11:41:59 AM »
no pic

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 11:44:05 AM »
Cool, thanks for sharing! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 12:36:22 PM »
Welcome cdl ...

Very interesting with the llamas and all. How do they compare with pack horses (if that is a fair question)? What got you started with llamas?

Oh ... nice buck.

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 01:48:19 PM »
Welcome cdl! I love it when we get more folks on here! I hope you become one of the regulars on here and congrats on the buck!
Where might you be from if you dont mind me asking? We have only had two light snows here in the Laramie Valley but my knee is telling me that there is one coming! ;D
Hank.
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline 321

45/70 Handi
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 06:17:42 PM »
too long to tell

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 08:31:02 AM »
The 22" 45-70 barrels dont really need any stress relieving or any sort of special attention.    Even with factory load Winchester 300gr JHP's they are capable of printing ragged one holes and cloverleaf groups at 50 and 100yrds with open sights.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline 321

45/70 Handi
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 09:55:14 AM »
OK

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 05:11:20 AM »

Welcome Aboard CDI ! Every body needs at least one 45-70, If you
 are like Quickdtoo you 2 or3. Good Luck Marv.