Author Topic: H&R's "New" Handi Receiver - My 2 Cents  (Read 1770 times)

Offline pagris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
H&R's "New" Handi Receiver - My 2 Cents
« on: November 16, 2007, 07:38:45 AM »
Regarding the recent discussion concerning new chamberings for 2008, I find it interesting - and a little bit odd - that H&R would produce a new Handi receiver for the 7mm & 300 magnums.  Why would they bother to go to the trouble for only 2 calibers?  Perhaps all Handi chamberings are going to utilize this new receiver in the near future?  It doesn't seem like it would be an economically-feasible undertaking, otherwise.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the great outdoors.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: H&R's "New" Handi Receiver - My 2 Cents
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 07:49:03 AM »
I agree and think that when it come out you will find that all Handi barrels of the past can be fitted to it. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:52:09 AM »
Also those two calibers are very popular.
Not near the risk as making the 10g shotgun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 08:52:37 AM »
I believe that sooner than later, ALL H&R single shot firearms will have the same frame, at least the centerfires and shotguns, not the rimfires unless they offset all the bores as TC did, and certainly not the Sidekick. In other words, no SB1 or SB2, just an SB3 or whatever they call it. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 10:13:27 AM »
From a cost/production per $$ that makes sense unless the SB-3 is extremely expensive to build. It all always boils down to out the door dollars and bottom line. I think they will want to go heads up against TC just as CVA has. Right now they are missing the "Magnum" portion of the market. I know I am giddy just thinking about it and have plans for the first one I can get my hands on.
I'm glad to see the acquisition by Marlin seems to be great for H&R and looks to be breathing new life into the company.
JMHO & .02 - F50

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 10:16:03 AM »
without leaking any old source of information, in the past the difference in cost to H&R/NEF between a SB1 receiver and an SB2 receiver was only $4.00. Even at that small amount they did not think it was cost effective to eliminate the 2 different receivers, of course you had to figure the $4.00 times the numbers of SB1 and SB2 receivers they sell each year.. I would have gladly paid $3 to $4 more for a so called "universal receiver" that would have accepted both centerfire and shotgun barrels, if I had the choice, when I purchased any of my new Handi's....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 11:48:44 AM »

My $00.02...I think you can expect to see a fair increase in cost...One thing NEF has done is to keep the cost down on these rifles while everybody else has been steadily increasing theirs..Their cost for production has risen a-lot...they aren't getting a break from paying more to produce them...so...most likely they will need to increase cost...As too having SB-2 barrels fit on the same receiver...I kinda doubt this will happen...after all...if the current SB-2 barrels will fit the new receivers...then the new magnum barrels will fit on the current SB-2's frames...and if they have gone to the trouble of changing alloy and heat treating to accommodate this...you can bet they won't interchange easily...knowing full well some here would try to do just this. 1 frame to fit them all...nope...eventually I look for them to phase all of the SB-2 & SB-1's out completely and change all over to the new receiver..that will stream line inventory & production when they do...but hey...that just my gut feeling...nothing more..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 12:28:03 PM »
...after all...if the current SB-2 barrels will fit the new receivers...then the new magnum barrels will fit on the current SB-2's frames...

Not necessarily true.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 12:33:49 PM »
Just a thought, but wouldn't it be great if with the new barrels and receivers the tolerances would be so much better engineered that there wouldn't be any need for sending in barrels to be fitted?

How many would pay the extra cost for that to happen?

I think they would have a winner for sure, when they started adding barrels for the new line.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 12:39:28 PM »
How many would pay the extra cost for that to happen?

Why.....I'd be glad to do that myself......only thing is, then my gun would be called a CVA Optima Elite or Thompson Center Contender or Encore.  ::)
That's just my .02.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 12:57:38 PM »
Why?........Just a hunch, but they obviously want to keep up with the competition by coming out with the magnums, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch, and something that could save them a lot of time and money in the long run, not having to deal with all those fittings, and shipping and handling charges.

Mainly it's just the way most successful companies grow, and that's by improving their products.

Maybe not, but that's just my hunch, and just an opinion like everyone else!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 01:04:33 PM »
Why?........Just a hunch, but they obviously want to keep up with the competition by coming out with the magnums, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch, and something that could save them a lot of time and money in the long run, not having to deal with all those fittings, and shipping and handling charges.

Mainly it's just the way most successful companies grow, and that's by improving their products.

Maybe not, but that's just my hunch, and just an opinion like everyone else!
I think it is a good opinion to. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 01:06:42 PM »
More opinions....

All they have to do is make the underlug wider on the magnum barrels, then it won't fit in the current frame, that would also increase the bearing suface on the hinge pin, they'd could be solving an old problem at the same time, underlug setback. ;)

And like I said, 1 new frame for all...even if it would accept the wider underlug, it could still be used with older barrels. ;)

I believe that sooner than later, ALL H&R single shot firearms will have the same frame, at least the centerfires and shotguns, not the rimfires unless they offset all the bores as TC did, and certainly not the Sidekick. In other words, no SB1 or SB2, just an SB3 or whatever they call it.

Tim

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
MAC:  When TC went to Mag barrels for the TCR, owners had to send in their receivers to get the Magnum conversion.  Otherwise the Magnum barrels would not fit the unconverted frame.  I'm not sure what they did to the receiver but that was what was reported to the owners.  So in other-words my .338 Win Mag barrel won't fit an unconverted frame.  But my 7MM Mag barrel will since it was produced before the mag conversion and the larger caliber barrels.

One thing that people need to remember is that a light rifle like the Handi in 7MM or .300 will be a kicker.  Many people complain about the recoil of the 30-06 Handi, wait till they shoot a 7MM.  My TCR will knock your socks loose with the 7MM barrel, and the .338 barrel will knock them off.  Yet I personally don't find it too bad.  Just remember the heavier the bullet the higher the recoil.  And I don't consider it worthy of Alaskan big game unless it shoots at least 225gr bullets.  That's why I consider the 7MM Mag a varmint gun.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 08:03:32 PM »
More opinions....

All they have to do is make the underlug wider on the magnum barrels, then it won't fit in the current frame, that would also increase the bearing suface on the hinge pin, they'd could be solving an old problem at the same time, underlug setback. ;)

And like I said, 1 new frame for all...even if it would accept the wider underlug, it could still be used with older barrels. ;)

I believe that sooner than later, ALL H&R single shot firearms will have the same frame, at least the centerfires and shotguns, not the rimfires unless they offset all the bores as TC did, and certainly not the Sidekick. In other words, no SB1 or SB2, just an SB3 or whatever they call it.

Tim

Or even better...they could do the same exact thing TC & CVA/BPI has done..and go with a CNC machined and hardened and welded underlug with a removable stainless pin...that way there would be no returning them to the factory for fitting them at all...and barrels could be bought off the rack..Granted...it would make what we have become collector items...but...the main thing going for it if they could keep the cost reasonable..would be the stock configuration...It lends itself to a standard Monte Carlo type stock with out the swale in it for the stock bolt...Heck...they might even open a custom shop then...It's always a possibility...

The only bad thing I see...is some real issues with their chambers...and their forearm fitting...If they don't tighten their tolerances and stay to the minimum side with any of the belted mags...I don't think they will last as long as the 7.62x39 did...especially one like the 300 Win Mag...Allowing chambers to be max SAAMI spec'd from the get go would be stupid on their part...no matter what their lawyers are telling them...In what ever form it comes out...the appeal to own one is there for many...and always has been...I hope they take their que from BPI/CVA as they did working with Ed Shilen...If they do...and pull it off right...I think they will wrap up the brake action single shot market...If they don't...well...at least we told them...

Now it's just a wait and see deal till they are on the market...

Mac

Offline njanear

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • www.geocities.com/njanear13
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 02:41:06 AM »

Now, you know that with all of the home gunsmiths around here, someone would shave the underlug down just to make it work in the SB-2 frame.   ;D
Njanear 
    12B/21B - Combat Engineer, the way to B           1985 - 1996 GaARNG
Atlanta, GA

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 03:42:48 AM »
I would rather see NEF focus on improving the factory trigger than build a frame for MAGS. Sorry to say but the hunting rifle sales side of the general market is already in decline and except for moves to Winchester Short Mags the mag market is relatively dead. Look at the supply of Remington 7 MM MAG and Winchester rifles there are on the racks of most shops collecting dust. With the aging of America "dads" are taking there rifles out of the closets and safes and passing them down to junior - who in many cases is going to the gun / pawn shop to sell it - or at least trade it in on an AR or AK type rifle. That leaves varmit, benchrest and small bore as the health areas and NEF is already represented there. IMO Marlin/NEF needs to upgrade the trigger and finish on barrel and wood, continue with the introduction of non mag calibers and charge a bit more for the rifles. 

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 05:08:24 AM »
MAC:  When TC went to Mag barrels for the TCR, owners had to send in their receivers to get the Magnum conversion.  Otherwise the Magnum barrels would not fit the unconverted frame.  I'm not sure what they did to the receiver but that was what was reported to the owners.  So in other-words my .338 Win Mag barrel won't fit an unconverted frame.  But my 7MM Mag barrel will since it was produced before the mag conversion and the larger caliber barrels.

One thing that people need to remember is that a light rifle like the Handi in 7MM or .300 will be a kicker.  Many people complain about the recoil of the 30-06 Handi, wait till they shoot a 7MM.  My TCR will knock your socks loose with the 7MM barrel, and the .338 barrel will knock them off.  Yet I personally don't find it too bad.  Just remember the heavier the bullet the higher the recoil.  And I don't consider it worthy of Alaskan big game unless it shoots at least 225gr bullets.  That's why I consider the 7MM Mag a varmint gun.

Rog..

Thanks..I never dealt with the TC's before..and didn't know they would do any conversions...Shooting at magnum velocities in a Handi is something I've done quite often with my 338-06A-Square..The recoil isn't that bad with it using a 180gr.at 3050-3100fps as it is with my 300 gr. 2425fps Nosler Partition load out of a 45-70 that's for sure..but one thing to remember is with the 26" Ultras is their weight factor...they aren't a 18" ultra light..I myself would hope they come out with the laminates over the synthetics..and have the forearm fully free floated..I do suspect the 300 Win Mag will give folks fits...it takes a lot more powder to push it's 180 grainer to these levels with it's much longer bearing surface and smaller diameter bullet...so it will kick harder..Who knows...maybe they have team up with one of the better recoil pad makers..

Mac

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 06:07:59 AM »
I have no interest in a Handi Magnum but I'm just not a magnum sort of guy, unless we're talking .32, .357 or .44 magnum. What I would like to see from NEF is maybe a 6.5x55 or .260, maybe a 7mm-30 Waters, return of the .357 magnum, perhaps in superlight  and much better quality control on the whole line.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 06:10:44 AM »
What I would like to see from NEF is maybe ...... return of the .357 magnum.

Looks like that will happen, see my post about RSR.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,130314.msg1098482053.html#msg1098482053

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 06:22:30 AM »

Now, you know that with all of the home gunsmiths around here, someone would shave the underlug down just to make it work in the SB-2 frame.   ;D
That would be a really stupid thing to do on their part then. If they are stupid enough to do that then they deserve to have that rifle blow up in their face. Stupid is as stupid dose. Dale

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 12:33:36 PM »
Please tell me they are bringing back ejectors.  No one in his right mind is going to do a bench match with these calibers, so the argument about saving brass doesn;t cut it.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 01:33:25 PM »
Get over the it ::), extractors are here to stay, if the TC/Contender crowd can handle em, any Handiholic worth his salt should certainly be able to get used to em!!

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2007, 01:40:03 PM »
Get over the it ::), extractors are here to stay, if the TC/Contender crowd can handle em, any Handiholic worth his salt should certainly be able to get used to em!!

Tim

OUUUUUUUUCH... ;D

Mac

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 03:25:58 AM »
Please tell me they are bringing back ejectors.  No one in his right mind is going to do a bench match with these calibers, so the argument about saving brass doesn;t cut it.

I picked up all my brass even before I reloaded and you should too.