Author Topic: is the scope the problem?!?!?  (Read 394 times)

Offline lostsniper308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
is the scope the problem?!?!?
« on: November 16, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »
anyone got some sure ways to determine if a scope is the cause of a rifle's apparent changing zero, and not the rifle itself? ???
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline IRA51

Re: is the scope the problem?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 06:24:19 AM »
first determine the scope is secure in the rings and than make sure the base is secure to the rifle.  shoot from a rest or bench and if it changes point of aim COLD IT MIGHT BE THE SCOPE. borrow another scope and check it if it works with the borrowed scope you found your problem .

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 10:27:28 AM »
As IRA51 said, make sure loose mount or rings is not causing the problem.  The couple of times that a scope has failed for me it wouldn't shoot a group under 6" to 9".  If the rifle shoots a good group one time and the next it doesn't you may be having rifle trouble such as a bedding issue.  Also check the action screws for proper tension as loose action screws can make a rilfe run hot then cold and on and off. 

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 04:29:43 PM »
well, i have had trouble with consistency. adjustments don't make the corrections i intend. like i needed to move the POI over left 1 1/2" and it went about 4" left and 1" down.  I did mess with my rifle to fix some issues with bolt binding, I just put this scope on the rifle. so i may have inflicted this myself. I figured the scope was alright to use since i had it on my .300 Wby Mag, which i replaced with the 700's first scope and it zeroed fine on the .300

...here i go again making a jumble of words i confuse y'all with
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now