Author Topic: part of my chidhood gone  (Read 382 times)

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
part of my chidhood gone
« on: November 16, 2007, 04:20:28 PM »
The ole left-hander round third and headed home for the last time last night Joe Nuxhall has passed away when I was13-15 years old  when my chores where done and it started getting dark I headed for my room turned on my radio and listen to Marty and Joe tell me about the big red machine wompin up on some other team
R.I.P. Joe Reds Radio just ain't the same without you
Roy

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071116&content_id=2301467&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: part of my chidhood gone
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 05:50:51 PM »
Thats the sucky part of getting older folks you either knew or admired that were older are now gone or going. Classmates die from cancer and heart attacks and strokes instead of car accidents. Family gets smaller. We all go through it.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 02:15:20 AM »
Boy, you guys really know how to chear up an old man don't you?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 09:04:58 PM »
    Was sitting watching TV today and saw Andy and Barney in Mayberry.  Got to thinking about how old Andy is, and how barney is no longer with us.  Then how Opie is considered an older gentleman now himself.  Then thought about how all my boyhood heros are not around anymore.  Johnny Weissmuller (Tarzan), Kerby Grant (Sky King), Slim Pickens, John Wayne, and the thing that really hurts is that our kids (my 18 yr old son) don't even know who they are.

It hits you pretty hard the day you read the obits and you realize everyone in there is younger than you are.  Or you meet an old friend that you haven't seen in years.  You start talking about old friends, people you both knew, or worked with.  Then you both realize that they are all gone and you two are the only ones left.  Making plans for my 40th class reunion, discovered over half of my high school graduating class of 1968 is no longer with us.  The biggest majority of the ones left are single women. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 06:29:48 AM »
Although I am pushing 70, I still feel young, and continue to do things I enjoy doing (haven't been sky diving lately, tho).  Day to day I have the aches and pains of an old man, but i still feel like a sixteen year old most days.  The reality of life catches up with us when we see those friends that we grew up with get old, and pass on, it makes you aware of just how venerable we actually are.

Sourdough.  Where are all of those YOUNG single ladies located.......I have a couple of old buddies I might send in that direction.