Author Topic: Good Accuracy with Green Hornet--Range Report  (Read 278 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Good Accuracy with Green Hornet--Range Report
« on: November 17, 2007, 10:20:04 AM »
Just got back from the range after a very successful shoot with my new Camo Green lam' 22 Hornet. I was shooting at 50 yards using 35 gr Vmax'x on top of 12 gr of LiL'Gun and fire-formed cases. With the fore-end off I got consistent 3/8 inch groups at the same POI. I shot supporting under the hinge pin mostly, but I also tried supporting 2/3 out onto the barrel. I expected that latter to be absolutely the worst thing but surprisingly I got consistent 1 inch groups at a slightly higher POI. From these trials I conclude that I have a shooter.

The barrel lug latch bearing surface is even across the entire lug width, so everything seems to fit well.

The trouble started when I put on the fore-end. It shot very inconsistently with fliers everywhere and for the most part very bad accuracy. I have not done any mods to the fore-end yet but I plan to bed it with pressure points fore and aft. I also plan to spring load the spacer so that I get consistent force on the action. I am going to drill a blind hole in the fore-end between the spacer mounting holes and drop in a compression spring and replace the spacer screws with two pins to fit the spacer mounting holes for alignment. I don't know how this will work out but it seems to me that I should be carefully controlling the spacer force on the action.

Anyway it's fun to tinker, knowing that eventually the gun will shoot.

Mc

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Good Accuracy with Green Hornet--Range Report
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 01:47:32 PM »

Mc...

If it is tight and bearing towards the chamber in the forearm stud hole...your in good shape to just free float it & bed it...If it is tight and bearing towards the muzzle in the stud hole... your not...and you'll need to relieve it in the stud hole...If they are tight towards the chamber...they apply force to the underlug correctly...if towards the muzzle...it is pulling it off of the barrel lug..If your Hornet doest like any pressure at all...then open the stud hole enough so it doesn't touch either side but still have solid contact in the bottom of the stud notch in the forearm...and then bed it in the channel..on both sides...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...