Author Topic: No Deer This Year  (Read 719 times)

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
No Deer This Year
« on: November 18, 2007, 03:58:56 AM »
Doesn't look like I will be putting any meat in the freezer this year. Between my work schedule and dealing with a family situation 450 miles away, I just don't see how I am going to get in the woods this season.
I really miss the solitude and peace that the woods bring me, more even than not getting any venison.
Anybody else dealing with not being able to hunt this year?

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: No Deer This Year
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 04:06:52 AM »
I've only been out twice in the past three seasons mostly due to my health but also the loss of the private land I was hunting on that made it possible for me to hunt within my limitations. I'm gonna be trying to get back out some this season but I've yet to determine if I'll be able to do so.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline sdb777

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 04:12:19 AM »
I see it this way, life is too short not to enjoy the things you want to.  Every season you miss, is a season you'll never get back, and then it'll be just too late.  When faced with the decision of either working at a crappy job(must be if you ain't hunting), or making some adjustment to live a better life....guess what I'd choose any day of the week?

Set your priorities, and everything else will fall into place!

Scott (JMHO) B
Custom Cartridge pens available.....

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 04:52:27 AM »
I see it this way, life is too short not to enjoy the things you want to.  Every season you miss, is a season you'll never get back, and then it'll be just too late.  When faced with the decision of either working at a crappy job(must be if you ain't hunting), or making some adjustment to live a better life....guess what I'd choose any day of the week?

Set your priorities, and everything else will fall into place!

Scott (JMHO) B

I appreciate your comments.
Fact is I LOVE my job. After 30 years working in corporate America (and being "right sized") I am now working as a Probation Officer. It's just that I am the "fresh meat" in the unit and have to work all of the week end and holiday calls. Just the way it is.
The big deal is the family thing. Having to travel back and forth (450 mile each way) couple times a month is an issue, but family is family and I got to do what needs to be done.

Thanks

alan

Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline sdb777

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 02:14:14 PM »
Ahhhh....the new meat guy.  Now I understand why you aren't hunting.....but 450miles back and forth to work?  Must pay really well....I hope?  What is the outlook for next year?

If your in TN, you could always drive over to central AR and I'll give you 30lbs or so.  I still have three tags left for this season, and my freezer is getting full already!  Or I'll take you down and put you in my "Guard Tower"(25 foot tower stand in the clear cut), and you should be able to get one before noon?

Scott (been the new guy a couple of times) B
Custom Cartridge pens available.....

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 02:20:48 PM »

I appreciate your comments.
Fact is I LOVE my job. After 30 years working in corporate America (and being "right sized") I am now working as a Probation Officer. It's just that I am the "fresh meat" in the unit and have to work all of the week end and holiday calls. Just the way it is.
The big deal is the family thing. Having to travel back and forth (450 mile each way) couple times a month is an issue, but family is family and I got to do what needs to be done.

Thanks

alan

I work with POs a lot.  I have an enormous amount of respect for the work you guys do, and I marvel at how you keep from getting jaded.  The best POs make a bigger difference in the world than 90% of American workers.  If you are ever headed towards Kansas, send me a PM.