Author Topic: WHATS YOUR PICK FOR A BATTLE RIFLE?  (Read 19573 times)

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: WHATS YOUR PICK FOR A BATTLE RIFLE?
« Reply #240 on: June 10, 2008, 09:15:44 AM »
If I were to be somewhat stationary , and had a steady supply , I would not mind the m1 garand , I would hate to be dependent on the enblocs and granted most rifles mentioned here have a detach mag , but that detach mag doesn't pop out of the gun when dry , at least it shouldn't  :P
Take the m1 and give it a mag much like what is on a sks and then you'd have something be it a HEAVY something , but then again , I am strong  ;D

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #241 on: June 10, 2008, 09:21:44 AM »
What Wars have M-16's Won ?
What Wars have AK-47's Won ?

Just a Question  ;)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #242 on: June 10, 2008, 09:36:19 AM »
I should think the man behind the rifle and the government behind the man are what win wars Ace.  Given the assumption that the weaponry is comparable that is. (e.g.  we're not talking M-60's vs. pitchforks here)

What's your point?   ;) ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline ~Ace~

• Contributor
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #243 on: June 10, 2008, 09:45:39 AM »
No point, just a question... Some use 30 Cal rounds, Some use Varmint calibers... And I noticed a trend.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #244 on: June 10, 2008, 09:54:53 AM »
All the kidding and BS aside , in Korea the other side sent the pitch forks and other farm tools in the first waves . That may be the reason for smaller rounds and more of them !
Yes i still like the M1-A best , my choice ( M- 1 with box mag ) .
Ace a better ? would be what battles have they won as most wars seem to be lost thru. politics after the battles have been won . JUST AN OBSERVATION !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline ~Ace~

• Contributor
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #245 on: June 10, 2008, 09:59:19 AM »
It seems the countries with AK's WANT to win wars.... the ones with Varmint calibers just want to fight wars, but never really intend to Win. Just my observations...

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #246 on: June 10, 2008, 10:07:14 AM »
you realize the commie countries have switched to a ground hog cal some time back ?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #247 on: June 10, 2008, 10:09:23 AM »
Ace , i stick up for the 308 as much as anyone and hate a handgun in a mouse cal. but the truth is they all hurt when you are reciving end .

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #248 on: June 10, 2008, 05:46:06 PM »
I figure the AK is the better gun for the side that does not have the logistics, traditions, and discipline to keep the M-16 running.

Unfortunately for the side with the AK's, the better gun is not what wins wars.

And, I'm not about to argue with Shootall, or volunteer to doublecheck his opinion.

Does anyone have any experience with the AK-74?

Offline PaulS

« Reply #249 on: June 11, 2008, 12:07:34 AM »
What is the maximum effective range for the M1 vrs the AR?
If you are fighting within that range then either will work but if your enemy can hit you at 1000 meters and you are limited to 300 - 500 meters then you lose.
Light ammo and small bullets are acceptable when you use a bunch of ammo but if you are a shooter then the M1 wins hands down.
The biggest problem is that the Army doesn't teach how to zero the rifle - they don't teach accuracy. they teach rapid fire - point and pull - point and pull. That was what my brother said after boot. I wasn't allowed to join - probably best.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #250 on: June 11, 2008, 01:11:26 AM »
CHUCK , double check anything ya want to .

Offline phalanx

« Reply #251 on: June 11, 2008, 04:14:19 AM »
I have never shot an AK74 ,but i have seen border guards carrying them .  I don't know if it makes any difference or not but the ones who had them acted a lot more professional ,and the uniforms all matched instead of looking rag tag. I don't know if it shows they were of a higher intelligence or their country had more money or what ,but some of them also had the G3 rifles also. You didn't get that pull everyone out of the truck and try to tell you all about Islam crap. The guys guarding a camp we were in had them and they showed me the rounds  ,it looked like the bullet had a lot of bearing surface so i assume it must be accurate. I don't know if the army's using the AK 7.62x 39 only have them to win wars or not , on the black market a FA ,AK can be had for a carton of smokes.  Cheap ,and there are lots of them ,and the guy who carries it isn't the sharpest tool in the shed . It looks like he isn't expected to survive more than 30 min. in a conflict ,and they don't try to retrieve their wounded from the field either. Some of the rifles look like they wouldn't last more than 3000 rounds ,and the finish is more like spray paint.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline Chilachuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #252 on: June 11, 2008, 05:04:42 AM »
CHUCK , double check anything ya want to .

Hmmm, Let's see.

I can volunteer to get shot with a .308, or a 7.62x39, or a 5.56, or I can take your word for it that it'd hurt and go see if the beer is cold.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #253 on: June 11, 2008, 05:44:01 AM »
GET A BEER , I WAS GUESSING !

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #254 on: June 11, 2008, 06:01:34 AM »
The biggest problem is that the Army doesn't teach how to zero the rifle - they don't teach accuracy. they teach rapid fire - point and pull - point and pull.
baloney.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #255 on: June 11, 2008, 07:27:38 AM »
The Marines did go out and pull all the red dots once, so that the guys trained more with the open sights.
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #256 on: June 11, 2008, 08:31:35 AM »
Do you believe the rifle really makes a difference ?
we have big guns , cruise missiles , NIGHT VISION , any aircraft we want , bombs , eye in the sky etc. etc , Did i mention night vision .

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #257 on: June 11, 2008, 08:32:13 AM »
HOLY COW   TANKS !

Offline phalanx

« Reply #258 on: June 11, 2008, 01:17:32 PM »
Holy Cow ,55 gal ,drum of Diesel buried in front of Tank.
Constantine III

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #259 on: June 11, 2008, 03:36:36 PM »
The biggest problem is that the Army doesn't teach how to zero the rifle - they don't teach accuracy. they teach rapid fire - point and pull - point and pull. That was what my brother said after boot. I wasn't allowed to join - probably best.

I was in the Army Reserve and we learned how to shoot well in Basic Training.  I don't know what MOS your brother had in the Army but to say that the Army just tells it's recruits to point and pull is the biggest bunch of crap I've ever heard.  It's an insult to the Army and everyone who ever served in it to say things like that especially when it comes from someone who "wasn't allowed" to join.  I do think the Marine Corp does a more thorough job of teaching recruits how to shoot at the beginning of their training, but what people don't realize is that the Army calls it "Basic Combat Training" for a reason.  The real thorough training happens when you get to your post and through repitition.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #260 on: June 11, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »
Galil!
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #261 on: June 12, 2008, 01:22:29 AM »
HOLY COW , check out the Lady Sniper , she just shot and killed some guy planting an ied in the road .

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #262 on: June 12, 2008, 07:40:26 AM »
as one who has been on the receiving end. yes, it does hurt.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #263 on: June 12, 2008, 08:15:47 AM »
YES IT DOES , and I only got a fragment of the bullet twice .
SA , sorry you had that happen !

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #264 on: June 12, 2008, 10:21:43 AM »
these "holy cow" posts..... stupid gibberish that i cant make heads or tails out of.  unless something got deleted that i didnt see, i am really scratching my head here.

Offline Chilachuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #265 on: June 13, 2008, 05:30:49 AM »
That is an outrageous insult to imply that posts on the net might make sense!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #266 on: June 13, 2008, 06:22:03 AM »
MYRONMAN3 , wars are won with the big stuff !

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #267 on: June 13, 2008, 08:46:28 AM »
When I got drafted, (69) we trained on the M14. I think the pogo stick is the finest battle rifle ever. Especially if you are left handed, as it's an ambidexterist rifle. 500 yard hits are no problem, and the .308 still has some poop when it gets there.
Next choice might be the M1 Garand. Patton was right. Some things are important in a battle rifle. You have to be able to work it from both sides, you never know which side might be out of commission, and it has to be simple enough to work with one hand.
Also, it's nice to be able to take three of them and build one good one from the pieces. Mike
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline PaulS

« Reply #268 on: June 13, 2008, 09:05:44 PM »

I was in the Army Reserve and we learned how to shoot well in Basic Training.  I don't know what MOS your brother had in the Army but to say that the Army just tells it's recruits to point and pull is the biggest bunch of crap I've ever heard.  It's an insult to the Army and everyone who ever served in it to say things like that especially when it comes from someone who "wasn't allowed" to join.  I do think the Marine Corp does a more thorough job of teaching recruits how to shoot at the beginning of their training, but what people don't realize is that the Army calls it "Basic Combat Training" for a reason.  The real thorough training happens when you get to your post and through repitition.

Teddy,
No insult intended but the first thing we were taught by my dad was to zero the sights for a given range.
My brother was infantry - second in his outfit with the 16. The first thing he did was zero it for himself - no-one else was taught that through basic or AIT. Early 70s training - before the mecanical three shot burst. He would have been best but he got cocky and blew an easy shot at the pop-ups by drawing down and raising his muzzle and then firing.
I would never insult the men and women who serve in the military - I will insult the military for not giving them proper equipment and training to protect their lives.
I am ashamed of the stuff that is given to the military when I know what is available for them.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
Patton is often quoted regarding the M1. However, he never used one in combat.He was a command officer by the time it came into issue.

That said I shall always remember what my uncle said. He was a bear of a man, 6'2" 280#. They issued him an M1 carbine. He said he loved carrying it. When the fighting started he would pick up a Garand and use it until the fighting was over, then drop it and resume carrying the carbine. HIS opinion I value more than Pattons'.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson