Author Topic: Daughter's first hunt-first deer  (Read 666 times)

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Daughter's first hunt-first deer
« on: November 18, 2007, 02:40:44 PM »
First time out hunting. Sat in a 2-man ladder stand.  Alot of hand-me-down clothes, warm boots, and plenty of snacks and handwarmers.  Lows around 20, highs around 35. She held out very well.  We didn't see anything all day Saturday and nothing until about 2pm Sunday.  She was determined and stayed pretty positive
Hailey spotted the deer working thru the brush one way away from us, then back again.  It presented a quartering away shot at about 80 yards.  Off hand shot right thru the liver and the lungs, exited out the opposite side just behind the shoulder (Savage Stevens .243 100gr Federal SP). It ran about 100 yards parallel in front of us but didn't slow down for another shot.
Needless to say we were pretty excited.  It ran behind a small knoll which was only about 75 yards from us but where we couldn't see it go down.  We waited a good 45 minutes and since it didn't come out we figured it was done. It was and the excitement started again. Praise God on a great finish to a great weekend hunting

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Charlie Tango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Daughter's first hunt-first deer
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 02:49:40 PM »
Way to go, we are still waiting for our daughters first kill. Congratulations!!

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 03:30:06 AM »
EXCELLENT !!!   JIM

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:25:31 PM »
Great job Hailey!And congrats.Low 20s highs 35?Man send some of that here,today it was 6o at daylight and high of 65.Supposed to get cold on friday with highs of 40 and low 30s at night.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 11:19:40 PM »
Great story!!!
Congratulations Hailey and to the proud father, you have got patience and that is what will help bring the meat home. Most young people have very little to none in the patience department. Hope this is the first of many.
GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 04:28:30 AM »
Great deer and job well done Hailey!  I have a Gran-daughter who is 6 years old and was impressed with you hunt.  This really helps other younger kids get interested in hunting and makes them think they should try it.  Yup you are a positive role model!! I am most impressed with your patience in the stand.  In todays world nobody seems to have any patience.  Patience is one of the keys to be sucessful in most any thing you try.  You go girl!!  I have a lot of adult hunter friends who haven't done as well as you have.     

Buckfever

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 04:35:45 AM »
Great job. I would have trouble sitting still for 1.5 days of that weather.